Uploading pictures

Laurie

Uploading pictures

Post by Laurie »

What's the best way to upload our pictures of our layouts? I feel like I am going around my elbow to get to my thumb trying to upload my layouts.
Laurie Bennett #118 on POA
North Carolina
paddlegal

Re: Uploading pictures

Post by paddlegal »

It is a bit of a chore isn't it. It's the resizing that sometimes won't cooperate here even though I know I've resized properly.

I keep a separate file just for PAO posts. So once I've edited the picture I resize and export to this file. Then it's very easy to find it when I select "choose file".

What kind of problems are you having Laurie?
FARLEY in Sacramento
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

try to resize to 400X400 for a 12X12 layout
If a double layout I think it's better to do one at a time

I been using save for the web that's on photoshop
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

What program are you trying to use to resize, Laurie? And do you have any other programs you could use?

Looking at some of my recent uploads on PAO, the 12 x 12s are about 470 x 470. The double layouts which I always photograph side by side are 720 x 355. All are at 72 dpi. I crop the photos so just the layout shows, no floor or table. I try to make them as large as I can but these sizes are well under the 256 we have.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

One of my issues is whether or not to use my phone camera or my camera. And then downloading to resize. Didn't know if there was an easier way.
North Carolina
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

I take photos with my phone but I send them to my email address and resize on pc
that's just me
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO

Northeast Illinois
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

I upload my camera photos or image scans to my computer then just resize them
in the Windows Live Photo Gallery, under "Properties" -> Resize.
I usually make my longest side 600 and the short side adjusts
by itself, name the file so you can find it later.
I usually just delete the larger size photo if I'm
not going to be using it for anything else, so I
don't confuse myself when looking for the file I
just resized
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Laurie, also...what kind of computer and photo storage/editing program are you using. They are all different in how to do the resizing. I just load all photos to my computer regardless of them being from phone or camera. Then I go from there. I've had great luck when resizing to keeping the longest side of the photo (after cropping it) to 640.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

I don't have anything but the Microsoft photo editing. It just seems find of cumbersome. I was thinking that maybe in my sabbatical of scrapbooking someone had come up with a easier way and I just hadn't learned it.
North Carolina
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

You can get picasa it is free
and not too bad of a program.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO

Northeast Illinois
Paula

Post by Paula »

I love Picasa. Use it all the time✌️
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Here's my routine: I take a photo with my big camera - figure it captures details better especially in low light. I lay them on the floor beside a window and shoot directly down, for a straight photo. Download it to my computer, which in my case is automatic because I use a wifi memory card. Open it in Photoshop Elements, crop out all the background. Brighten if necessary, and save the photo. Then I resize it in PSE to 600 pixels across, and save it as filename_r so it's right beside the original photo in my camera roll. If I delete one it's this smaller version, in case I want it for somewhere else that accepts a larger file size.

It does seem like a lot of steps, but I usually do it as soon as a finish a LO so it feels like part of my scrapping process. Whether or not I'm posting my finished work someplace, I always photograph it before putting it away.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Keitha wrote:Here's my routine: I take a photo with my big camera - figure it captures details better especially in low light. I lay them on the floor beside a window and shoot directly down, for a straight photo. Download it to my computer, which in my case is automatic because I use a wifi memory card. Open it in Photoshop Elements, crop out all the background. Brighten if necessary, and save the photo. Then I resize it in PSE to 600 pixels across, and save it as filename_r so it's right beside the original photo in my camera roll. If I delete one it's this smaller version, in case I want it for somewhere else that accepts a larger file size.

It does seem like a lot of steps, but I usually do it as soon as a finish a LO so it feels like part of my scrapping process. Whether or not I'm posting my finished work someplace, I always photograph it before putting it away.
That is basically the same as what I do except I use Photoshop to crop, enhance, and resize.
The problem I have found with some photo programs is they also want to organize/manage everything as well and I don't want that, just the editing features. If you want an organizing program as well then they might work for you.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Since I recently upgraded my Mac OS to Yosemite everything changed for me. Including my wonderful Aperture that I stored, edited and resized all my photos with. It is no longer supported by Mac. But I'm happy to say that the new Photo on Mac now is great for storing and simple editing. But to do more advanced editing and resizing I needed an additional system. I now use Acorn 5 and I'm very happy with it for resizing and more editing features than I'll need or figure out. But it's very easy to learn which this computer challenged person needs. :lol:

Keitha please tell me about your wifi memory card! Is it the card or is it the camera that has wifi? I now have an Olympus TG-4 waterproof camera for kayaking and the camera has wifi (and GPS) allowing me to transfer photos to my iPhone and therefore to my computer as well. I am not familiar with wifi memory cards which would be useful when I'm birding and Digi-scoping with a different camera.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

Yes...I would like to know more about the Wifi. I think that would save me a step.
North Carolina