Strathmore Guide to Paper

Save some $ Find out what works
mpizzazz

Strathmore Guide to Paper

Post by mpizzazz »

I just came across this at Dick Blick. Good Reference re our recent discussions about papers. http://cdn.dickblick.com/items/133/07/p ... 052010.pdf
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pamcook

Re: Strathmore Guide to Paper

Post by pamcook »

Thanks - will check it out today.
Just made a trip to Michael's. The only wc paper blocks they had were black and I'm not ready for that challenge. I'll have to check out the other store when I'm that way. They often have items the other doesn't stock.
So, I used my coupon to buy a set of the Heidi Swapp PL items. Lots of pink and gold and good stuff in the one I chose. Found a set of PL cards in the clearance section that are zoo themed for $2.49. I had a $5 off a minimum $15 purchase so everything was a good deal today.
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Really....black watercolor paper?

This sounds interesting and would be awesome with metallic paints! Now I have to go find some. Thanks for mentioning this Pam. I may be on a mission today to find it.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

It was a block and all four edges were black. I'm assuming it was black paper...Arches brand.
If it was just that the adhesive was black, and not the paper, I'll be really embarrassed! Before Farley goes on a wild-goose chase because of me - does anyone know?
Paula? Do you still work at Michael's?
Pam Cook #48
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

I don't know anything about blocks but a quick search online didn't turn up any black watercolor paper. I couldn't find an actual website for Arches. :?
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I couldn't either. I'll make a trip back over this weekend to check it out in person. I swear I thought the shelf tag said "black" but nothing turns up on internet searches.
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

pamcook wrote:I couldn't either. I'll make a trip back over this weekend to check it out in person. I swear I thought the shelf tag said "black" but nothing turns up on internet searches.

Pam, my first thought was that it was black adhesive on all four sides because I have an old, old "watercolor block" of my mom's like that. However I did indeed find on Amazon Canson 98 lb Black Watercolor paper! I stopped at an Aaron Bros and no luck, just quizzical looks. I didn't have the patience to go to a Mike's on a Saturday. Tempted to go for the Amazon choice.
FARLEY in Sacramento
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Here's what I found on Amazon. It say it can be used for a number of things including watercolor with a highly textured side and a smooth side. But now I am wondering if the cover of the pad is black, NOT the paper.

http://www.amazon.com/Canson-Mi-Teintes ... olor+paper

I realize I don't have the best description of the paper on this site. I did find some other possibilities that might be actually black. Now I am determined to find some :lol:
FARLEY in Sacramento
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

There might be such an animal as black watercolor paper. And some of us would find it very interesting to work on but would 'real' artists use it? Smacks a bit of painting on black velvet, kwim? :tomato: and, yes, I did have wine with dinner. :drunk:
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

That's funny! Real artists indeed!
I thought of those Twinkling H2O's languishing in my closet. Every once in a while I pull them out but I think they'd be stunning on black watercolor paper.
Pam Cook #48
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

Pam,

I have this and the sides are black. Is this what you saw at the store? The paper inside is white. On the cover it says block. With my bad eyes I could easily have seen the word BLACK.

Judy
Attachments
2014-08-10_17-49-01_619 (640x361).jpg
2014-08-10_17-49-01_619 (640x361).jpg (120.95 KiB) Viewed 521 times
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

That's what I saw but I swear the shelf tag said "black". I need to go back to see.
Pam Cook #48
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

Maybe the person who put it on the shelf is half blind, too.
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO