So, how techie are you?

Notes to and from the paowers that be
admin
Site Admin

So, how techie are you?

Post by admin »

Today was rough. I have been in and out all day, away from home and away from my cell during different periods, and didn't know the site was down until just a bit ago. I'm thinking we need a backup administrator type who can manage stuff at the host. Luanne is already a forum administration goddess, but we also know she's on vacation soon.

So, if there is anyone willing/able to handle any possible interaction with our host, and can talk to customer service and potentially run repairs if that's required, then please let me know. I don't want a whole ton of people, because it involves giving out a very powerful password. I'm looking for one person who can promise me that they will only use the info given in the event of a major emergency and neither Luanne nor myself are available.
Admin
#1 in the order of the PAO
bethrich

Re: So, how techie are you?

Post by bethrich »

Admin,

I'd say put me on your list of possible resources, but I know there are much stronger web techs than me on this list.

I manage one .com web domain, but it's not nearly as techie as this. Just static HTML. My day job is a DBA with strong disaster recovery knowledge and I write HTML and KSH. I know how to use root and do so at times.

I've also volunteered (to Luanne) to act as a moderator across the holidays because we will not be going anywhere and have no family in NC. So I am available when others may not be.
Ruth Ann Landry

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

aren't Neith and Jen Hoh...techie?
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

I'm glad you volunteered Beth because I did not understand a word you said! LOL
Cathy:)
Luly

Post by Luly »

Hahah, I am one of the ones who volunteered and after reading Beths post thought.....oopsie...she is not gonna pick me.. WHEW! LOL
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

Cathy wrote:I'm glad you volunteered Beth because I did not understand a word you said! LOL

Me either

I am glad there are people who know more than me out there
Thanks Beth for stepping up :D
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Beth - I'm technical, but not in the way you are. LOL. My experience primarily deals with repair and clean up. However, I can and do work on the phone and online with tech support often, and if we can't find anyone a bit more techie I'll volunteer. I think Neith and Jen would be perfect. Where are they tonight, anyway???

Pam
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

I know exactly where Beth is! She's lost in her digital world creating!
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

Actually Beth is back to the firewall wars. All I can say is if you are running a home network with internet connection sharing, don't use CA on your host machine. And DO NOT let your DH anywhere near the host machine either! We were down and up and down and up ... for about 18 hours after he did a number on the hardware and the silly firewall was not helping. I stripped out CA and returned to an older one until I pick a new one. :whack:

I want a do over on the weekend!
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

Yuck it's just been a crappy weekend for computers all around.
Hope you get up and working the right way real soon. Maybe rig it so if DH messes with it he get a little shock :problem:
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

ChristyB wrote: Maybe rig it so if DH messes with it he get a little shock :problem:

LOL Christy!
Maree

Post by Maree »

bethrich wrote:Actually Beth is back to the firewall wars. All I can say is if you are running a home network with internet connection sharing, don't use CA on your host machine. And DO NOT let your DH anywhere near the host machine either! We were down and up and down and up ... for about 18 hours after he did a number on the hardware and the silly firewall was not helping. I stripped out CA and returned to an older one until I pick a new one. :whack:

I want a do over on the weekend!
We have CA on our desktop, and dh wants to put it on the lappy. I should I tell him to rack off??
cnedaria

Post by cnedaria »

Thanks Ruth Ann for mentioning me, but I got nothin' to help with the board. I'm an excellent front end tester, but I wouldn't know my way around code if I had a map, GPS AND a team of hired guides...
cnedaria

Post by cnedaria »

Oh, and several of you asked where I was today--heck, I'm a stay at home mom with 2 kids, 3 cats and a husband who never grew up. Most of the time when I read those kids a story at 9 PM it's LIGHTS OUT for ME. I'm TIRED already. Gone are my days in the corporate world where I could work 18 hour days, party and get by on 4 hours of sleep. Kids take ENERGY man. I gotta get my 8 hours!
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

Maree,

My only issue with CA is you have to set up all sorts of rules. It was easy for my laptop clients. It was the host that controls the network where it killed me. I just wasn't willing to write a bunch of rules to make it all work. CA is cheap, but my time is worth something. So I'll be buying something else for the host. The other 5 computers in our network will still be using CA.

So it all depends on how your PCs are networked together.

Sorry, clear as mud, I know!