Difference between Foams

Are you a Tim Holtz fan? We are!
mpizzazz

Difference between Foams

Post by mpizzazz »

Somewhere on one of the CCC101 videos, I think Tim said the blending foams were softer than the Cut n' Dry Foam. Does anyone know from experience if this is true? I've never bought the blending foams. I use any old thing-makeup sponges, Cut n' Dry foam cut up into little squares, etc. I like the softer makeup sponges better-they seem to pick up more color from the inkpads. So maybe I would like the real blending foams.
Any opinions?
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
ChristyB

Re: Difference between Foams

Post by ChristyB »

I have the blending foams because they came with something bought.

In reality though I go to the dollar store and by the foam makeup sponges. For me they work just as well and are way cheaper.
tlscrap

Post by tlscrap »

I've used both, I like both.... The felt is softer, and more subtle for color. The foam is harder, so it's easier to get areas darker where need be, imo.... I go to Micheals and get the felt that's less than a dollar and cut it into the size I need for his applicator ;)
http://tlscrap.blogspot.com/
PAO #8
Theresa Lee
Painesville, Ohio
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I love the foam. I used to use the makeup thingys but couldn't control it was well as I can with the applicator tool.
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I like makeup sponges in a pinch, but I've found that the blending foams (we're talking about the pads that velcro on to the tool, right?) are easier for me to use if I'm trying to ink edges or whatever. I agree that they're stupid expensive, but I've only used about 5 of them, and I never throw them away. I've got a black/brown, a red/orange, a blue/purple, a green and a yellow. I usually rub them on a scrap of paper to get any residual color out of them, and then go to work. So I've only ever purchased one pack, and they don't show any signs of crumbling apart yet.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

There are actually 4 different ink application things you can buy that Tim uses. The blending foam are the little rectangles of foam that have a blue fuzzy backing that sticks to the velcro on the blending tool. These are the closest resemblence to the make-up sponges you're talking about and they do give you a great even application of ink. And, Tim mentioned that you can rinse these babies out, so don't throw them away unless they're falling apart. Second, are the felt rectangles you can buy for applying Alcohol Inks, these are not good for any other ink except AI and are just felt squares, so if you have a cheaper alternative definitely go for it. The cut 'n dry foam is a harder foam and can be used for blending, but I don't think it works very well for that, I know Tim uses it for something specific, but that is eluding me right now. The last thing is the cut 'n dry felt, which is essenitally the stuff dye ink pads are made of and what Tim uses to make the custom ink pads for specific stamps.

And none of these things are interchangeable; they each have their own specific use. HTH!! :D
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

The tags I made I used distress ink and used felt on the tool.
It's all I had, maybe that's why it didn't turn out the way I wanted.
I've looked at the tool and it had some pads with it but I said to myself
I already have that.
I do have the cut and dry that's when I get to the technique I'll try to regererate mine.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Thanks so much for the explanation, Rachelle, that was really good.

I would never buy the felt rectangles for Alcohol Inks, There is enough craft felt in this house to keep me well supplied for this lifetime.

I've never bought the blending foam rectangles as I thought it was the same as the Cut and Dry Foam. I also realized during Tim's class that using the makeup sponges got a better result and was faster than the cut and dry foam. I might have to stop using that and get some more makeup sponges at the dollar store. I don't mind holding them at all in my fingers. But then I have only used the blending tool for the felt so I don't know any different.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

I got out my box that had alcohol ink in it
I found all 11 of my stickles that I lost and my glossy accent
plus a whole pack of felt squares that I do not remember buying.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I think if you've used the makeup sponges and are happy with the results, save your money. I've used both and for some reason, do better with the applicator tool. They're different but as long as it works, right?
Pam Cook #48
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

The one thing I know I've used the Cut 'n Dry foam for is making my own rainbow or striped ink pads. You cut a square of the pad, lay lines of distress ink across the pad about a quarter to a half inch apart and then you can use your brayer to lay down color on a background. You can also use it to do the technique for the custom ink pads, but I think the ink blends together more and you eventually lose the precision that you get with the Cut 'n Dry Felt.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Holy cow Rachelle! That sounds amazing.
Can you wash it out?
Pam Cook #48
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

pamcook wrote:Holy cow Rachelle! That sounds amazing.
Can you wash it out?
mmmm....I just store them in a ziploc bag for future use, but I would imagine you can wash them out.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

You are really supposed to use the Cut n' Dry Felt for the homemade inkpads. Tim showed the rainbow pad idea in the class, not sure which cut n' dry product was for them, Maybe it depends on the ink. Remember felt is for dye inks and foam is for pigment Wish I'd known that 10 years ago.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

mpizzazz wrote:You are really supposed to use the Cut n' Dry Felt for the homemade inkpads. Tim showed the rainbow pad idea in the class, not sure which cut n' dry product was for them, Maybe it depends on the ink. Remember felt is for dye inks and foam is for pigment Wish I'd known that 10 years ago.
yep, the felt is for rainbow ink pads with dye ink and the foam is for rainbow ink pads with pigment ink. I've done both.