Difference between Foams

Are you a Tim Holtz fan? We are!
Monica

Re: Difference between Foams

Post by Monica »

I have bought several packages of foams and handles, but I simply use a 40% off coupon at Michaels for them. It took me several months to get what I wanted. I have one of his tool holder thingies with 8 handles... one for each color family... and that works for me. I'm a little hard on the poor foam pieces, which is why I purchased a couple sets of just the pads. ;)

I've not tried using the cut & dry foam for this, as to be honest it hadn't crossed my mind! I like the handles for control, so the make-up sponge thing didn't work for me.... but it is definitely cheaper, even when using coupons!
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Kellacious

Post by Kellacious »

If anyone was wanting a blending tool, but didn't want to spend the money:

For a cheapie 'blending tool,' I just used a blank wood stamp block and cut a piece of the HALOS loop tape to stick on it. Then, I cut felt to fit and used that as my blending tool. It works as well as the Tim stuff, but I already had all the items needed, so it was cheaper for me. Got the Tim tool in a class later on, so I use both.

Kelli
nancine

Post by nancine »

I have been using cut-n-dry for my blending - didn't realize that there was a difference! I haven't purchase a Tim Tool.. I have a stamp holder deal like Ranger's but OLD, I found on eBay and it came with some stamps/handles so I repurposed it into my ink thing. I think I'll get a Tim one and some foam and see how they differ. I really chew up the cut-n-dry... I must press too hard!
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Good idea to use a wooden block.
I've found that the distress foam holds up really well - trust me, I'm ruthless with it and have used the same ones for years now. I did use a staple gun to hold the velcro on better but now that I have several, I'm not changing the pads as often. I'm sure that helps, too.
Pam Cook #48
tlscrap

Post by tlscrap »

I haven't dared to wash mine, thinking that's when they'll fall apart :shock: :shock:

So I just get enough for my color categories, so far so good, I love them!
http://tlscrap.blogspot.com/
PAO #8
Theresa Lee
Painesville, Ohio
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I don't remember who posted this or where I saw it, but I finally managed to solve my problem with the silly foam things. I was just tossing all of them into a container and then couldn't figure out which one went with which ink, and besides that the stupid cat kept carrying them and the wooden things all over the house. So - I picked up some sticky back velcro, stuck it on the bottom of my ink pads, and put a foam applicator pad under there. Works well and all I have to do now is hide the handles from the cat. (Who keeps blaming the dog, but I've got photos to prove that it's him!)
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Paula

Post by Paula »

pbp908 wrote:I don't remember who posted this or where I saw it, but I finally managed to solve my problem with the silly foam things. I was just tossing all of them into a container and then couldn't figure out which one went with which ink, and besides that the stupid cat kept carrying them and the wooden things all over the house. So - I picked up some sticky back velcro, stuck it on the bottom of my ink pads, and put a foam applicator pad under there. Works well and all I have to do now is hide the handles from the cat. (Who keeps blaming the dog, but I've got photos to prove that it's him!)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like a great idea!!
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

pbp908 wrote:I don't remember who posted this or where I saw it, but I finally managed to solve my problem with the silly foam things. I was just tossing all of them into a container and then couldn't figure out which one went with which ink, and besides that the stupid cat kept carrying them and the wooden things all over the house. So - I picked up some sticky back velcro, stuck it on the bottom of my ink pads, and put a foam applicator pad under there. Works well and all I have to do now is hide the handles from the cat. (Who keeps blaming the dog, but I've got photos to prove that it's him!)
Brilliant! I have them all in a plastic baggie too! And more often than not I pull one out that looks like the right color, but alas.........earwax!
Monica

Post by Monica »

azemigh wrote:
Brilliant! I have them all in a plastic baggie too! And more often than not I pull one out that looks like the right color, but alas.........earwax!
Pam... we want to see those photos!

Rachelle... I see you've been watching/reading Harry Potter!! :lol:
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Monica wrote:
azemigh wrote:
Pam... we want to see those photos!

Rachelle... I see you've been watching/reading Harry Potter!! :lol:

You eagle eye, Monica! :lol:
Monica

Post by Monica »

Not really; I just love that bit!! Cracks me up every time.

You really want to get me going, let's start quoting Disney movies....
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Brilliant idea to stick them to the ink pads. Mine have a home on my desk but if I ever need that space, they're getting velcro-ed to the ink pads.

I've seen the photos - the cat is the culprit. No matter how guilty the dog looks.
Pam Cook #48
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Here he is in all his grey glory - trying to find the ink applicators.
Thief.jpg
Thief.jpg (208.35 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Some of the people on the forum for the Tim class said they attached them to the inkpad. I just have one for each color and I'm not fussy as long as I grab the green one for any green, red one for any red, etc. But I'm going to try the blending foams when I don't know what else to use a coupon on at Joanns or Michaels. That happens fairly often as they never have what I want!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Paula

Post by Paula »

That photo is just too funny!!