Creative Chemistry Day 4

Are you a Tim Holtz fan? We are!
mpizzazz

Re: Creative Chemistry Day 4

Post by mpizzazz »

I just turned all my ink pads over. Mine were labeled on the bottoms but I was always sorry I couldn't just look at the colors especially the ones with all the clear covers which I might add are mostly old CSJr. ones that only live on due to the Refresher.

Thanks, Monica for remembering Tim said pigment as well as dye. I am really consulting the chart we made on day one a lot. That may be the best thing to come out of the class.

I just gave all my Stampin Up pads a good drink of Refresher and if that doesn't help they are going for the long drop. I still have some inkpads at the other house to go through. I think I own one Adirondack pad. I always preferred having pigment pads so I could use them for embossing so I never bought dye based ones until recently-like the last 6 years!

Here are my experiments for today. I love the water filled brush. I picked up one at Michaels a few weeks ago. It's the Zig BrusH2o and I love it! I think I said that! I've been coloring in everything I can find using the reinkers, Distress pads, rainbow pads, or anything else I think will pick up color on the brush. And let me just say, decent watercolor paper makes a world of difference. It is much more forgiving than cheapo stuff.

The butterflies are mounted on a sprayed tag for the make your mists segment. I do that all the time so no "aha moment" there. I didn't do the make your own inkpad either.....yet. Maybe over the weekend I'll do that.
Attachments
001.JPG
001.JPG (129.06 KiB) Viewed 253 times
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

cool tags and the coloring of the images
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

I caved too
I hope to learn something new.
I just need to share my goofs.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
Monica

Post by Monica »

Pam and Jill... welcome to the Dark Side! Bwahahahaha ;)

Marianne... beautiful cards! You're right about good watercolor paper making a difference. I love my waterbrushes too... I hated dipping brushes in water and trying not to dribble it between water cup and project.

I am picking up my 2 nieces tomorrow afternoon and will have them for the weekend, so I need to finish cleaning the house tonight. Doubt I'll be able to do anything else until Sunday night.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Paula

Post by Paula »

My play time is pretty much limited until next week. Everyone is doing an awesome job!
Monica

Post by Monica »

After searching high and low for my watercolor pens (yes, I know I *just* reorganized the room) and not finding them where I was sure I had decided to place them, I finally found one stuck in with the jelly roll pens (no idea why) and one in the bottom of my traveling tool bag (supposed to be there). No idea where the other two are. Grrr! At least the two I found were a small brush tip and a large brush tip, which gave me a chance to watercolor with detail and in broad strokes. DH is impressed with my efforts. ;) I don't have it on a tag yet, but will post when I get a chance to complete the other tags for today's lesson.
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

I remember doing the make your own ink
pad a few years back for the CS snowman
stamp, but now I know why I didn't hit the mark
everytime. It was wood mounted and I didn't
cut around the frame of the wood properly.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
nancine

Post by nancine »

I have made my own ink pad a couple times. One for a Santa stamp - so awesome to mass produce those Christmas cards!

I think Marianne is right about people asking questions to get attention from Tim. I imagine he gets awfully tired of answering those same questions over and over again. On-line, in class, at convention...
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I'm going to see if I can find the felt this weekend. I've always wanted to try it but never remember to go look for the felt. (I think I've seen it at AC Moore)
I never felt the need to try it until he demonstrated the butterfly stamp (dang you Tim Holtz!).

So far I'm resisting the urge to buy more Distress Stains...so far...
Pam Cook #48
clamscrapper

Post by clamscrapper »

I'm enjoying everyone's posts of work and the comments. Haven't gone to the dark yet, but heading that way quickly. Too much going on right now.
I made one of the stamp pads awhile back and it works really great for when you want to mass produce. I'd do the again.
Keep those comments coming. You know you all are enablers!
Carol M (NC)

Check me out.
http://clamscrapperstudio.blogspot.com/

ImageImage
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

The Week 1 wrap up email sounds like
Tim is getting a little frustrated at folks
repeating questions that have already
been answered, not that I blame him.
Folks just don't take ethe time to see
if the question they have might have been
one someone else already asked

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

I think the whole question part of the class is probably the worst part. They all sound frustrated about people not posting in the right forum or asking the same thing over and over. Plus I think Tim gets really annoyed by people wanting to know exactly what inkpads he used and wanting him to have all the answers. He wants people to experiment on their own and make their own choices.
Maybe they will rethink it and come up with a better way to handle questions for next time. Since I don't take many classes online I don't know how other teachers handle it.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
Monica

Post by Monica »

I agree that he sounds frustrated with people.... especially those asking thing he already said he can't answer or were discussed in the videos. I feel for him! This probably sounded like a fairly easy task until the people who can't be bothered to read the previous posts, or pay attention to the videos, got going!!! Makes me want to send him a big hug. Hmmm.... maybe a thank you card using some techniques I pick up in his classes.... :creating:
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

Monica wrote:I agree that he sounds frustrated with people.... especially those asking thing he already said he can't answer or were discussed in the videos. I feel for him! This probably sounded like a fairly easy task until the people who can't be bothered to read the previous posts, or pay attention to the videos, got going!!! Makes me want to send him a big hug. Hmmm.... maybe a thank you card using some techniques I pick up in his classes.... :creating:

With arrows pointing out the dye vs pigment
oil vs water based, translucent vs opaque
see, I've been paying attention LOL

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

I did the "make your own inkpad" over the weekend.
The first one was a failure, see image in bottom right. I like the stamp but it is not good. The flower portion never stamps right. I have since cut it up and saved the text parts. Next to it is the rinsed out pad. He said you could rinse them out so I tried it.
You all probably recognize the rose from a Club Scrap kit and that worked ok. I liked the spritzed with water ones that I did as it obliterated the text that runs through that stamp and makes it look like it didn't stamp well. See finished tag below.
006.JPG
006.JPG (121.56 KiB) Viewed 209 times
007.JPG
007.JPG (125.25 KiB) Viewed 209 times
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels