Creative Chemistry Day 2

Are you a Tim Holtz fan? We are!
Monica

Creative Chemistry Day 2

Post by Monica »

I managed to get up early enough to watch 2 of the 3 videos, but not with enough time to play. This work thing is really cutting into my creative time! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So glad I took part in that huge tags order awhile back.... I can see my stash of those reducing as I try techniques. Post your Day 2 samples here for us all to drool over....
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Monica

Re: Creative Chemistry Day 2

Post by Monica »

Well, we'll see if I can get anywhere with these @ lunch. Dowloaded the last video to the laptop and grabbed some basic supplies to play with before heading to work.... although dumb me *just* realized that I forgot to grab a blending foam & applicator! Guess I'll wait on that one until I get home.... :lol: Good thing there are 2 more tags to try!!
Monica

Post by Monica »

Back from lunch..... still irritated that I forgot the blending tool that I had in hand this morning, but had fun getting inky fingers during lunch.

This is my attempt at Wrinkle-Free Distress, which I believe he also featured on his blog at some point. It's actually the second (and better) attempt, but since Photobucket seems to have temporarily lost the other photo somewhere, this is all you get!

This is a (bad) photo of the Brushless Watercolor Technique. My stamping surface is an ATC-sized cold press watercolor paper.

Second stamping of the same image w/o misting or reinking. The tag was colored using DTP technique with Distress inks (not one of Tim's techniques) because I was wanting a finished tag and too impatient to wait until I got home to the blending tools. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And all the tags I'm using are from that big order of them, which is great because I can practice each technique as much as I want w/o worrying that I "might run out of tags". Yeah... not gonna happen! :lol: :lol: :lol:
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Here are my three. I used inks from the Christmas limited edition set and some of the second set of DIs.
The wrinkle-free distress is the best I've ever been able to get. I lo-ove the brighter colors. Somehow I never noticed you should dry the tag between layers. It made all the difference.
And I'm thrilled with the watercolor flower stamp! (That's a Donna Downey stamp) I've used this technique before with meh! results. I probably never used this many colors before. Love it - love it!
img068 (640x465).jpg
img068 (640x465).jpg (182.83 KiB) Viewed 755 times
Pam Cook #48
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Those are both great. I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, too much to do around here with all the rain and damage.
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Pam, these are gorgeous.

By the way, I heard your name on an episode of Scrapbook Soup recently. Congrats on having your work featured!!!
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Thanks Jen!
Too bad we don't get the show here. I did check it out a while back online.
The whole thing is very surreal...
Pam Cook #48
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
good job.
(I love that stamp Pam!)
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Pam they are gorgeous! I have yet to have time to check out Tim's video, maybe one day.............
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

Really nice results, I won't get to play
until the weekend, so I'll be way behind.
I did get a chance to see the videos and also
had that AHA moment when he said dry each
layer before going on to the next, mine always looked like
a muddy manila tag. LOL
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the last person on the planet who didn't think the drying between layers was important. It does make all the difference. I'll take a photo and post mine tomorrow. I'd rather share here than do the linky thing at the class gallery.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

I hear you, Elizabeth! That was a definite a-ha moment for me, too!!
Monica

Post by Monica »

Okay, here are my three day 2 tags. I took several pictures trying to get a better one of the iris tag, but that darn watercolor paper reflected light even when I moved the lamp and turned off my flash!! Grrr

I decided to hang all my tech tags on a d-ring for reference, so I'll have to decide how to hang it in my craft room now. ;)

mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Wow, Pam and Monica, the tags look great!

I'm using some smaller tags, 2 3/8 x 4 3/4", that I have a lot of and never use. I know what you mean about the watercolor paper, Monica, it is more reflective than I thought with all the little grooves in it. Here are mine. The one under the third one was done with the SU dye inkpads just to see what the difference would be. Color is much less intense.
Attachments
Day 2 Samples
Day 2 Samples
002.JPG (136.28 KiB) Viewed 718 times
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

Oooo, Marianne... I didn't even think to try that with another company's inks! Thanks for the idea! It will also tie in nicely with Day 1. You're right that the colors aren't as intense on your SU tag, but that can be a good thing depending on your purpose for it. I have a plentitude of inkpads from various companies, although I started out as a Ranger-only stamper, and I need to try the various techniques with those other products. I envision my tag samples growing rapidly at this rate! ;)