My mother

For those gathering for the scrapping weekend in North Carolina.
jfugina

My mother

Post by jfugina »

My mother might actually be coming to NC with me in May. She won't be participating in any of the scrapping stuff, but rather visiting with an old friend. I couldn't believe the story when she told me.

She said that now that she's on facebook, it occurred to her to look up some people she hadn't seen in a while. Back when they were first married and my dad was in the Army, they lived in Germany. My mom was 18, didn't speak the language, and spent the days home alone and lonely. One day, she met a 17yo American woman (I'm thinking girl, but considering this one had already been married for a year, she gets woman status) in the elevator. Her husband had been drafted, and they were just thrilled that he hadn't been sent to Vietnam. Anyway, these army wives became BFFs, and when the landlord of their building decided to use the building for something other than housing, the two couples went looking for places together and wound up sharing a 2BR 2 bath apartment.

At one point, my mom's friend got pregnant, but it wasn't going great, and she was scared. So quite abruptly, she went home, and her husband went too. He ultimately had to come back at some point, but the day they left for the states was the last time my mom saw them. My parents had to move, of course, because they couldn't afford the lease on their own.

Fast forward 40 years to a few weeks ago. My mom found someone by the name of her friend, and she took a chance and asked if she ever lived in Kaiserslau<somethingsomething> Germany. The woman confirmed, and according to my mother, they've been chatting on FB every single night since then. They've been talking about getting together again, and maybe meeting at a half-way driving point or something. When my mom told me her friends were living in SC, just two hours south of Charlotte NC, I mentioned that I was going out there in May. I told her she could share my hotel room if she wanted to fly out there with me.

Now, my mother isn't a huge fan of flying, but she started to go nuts. I honestly didn't think she'd even consider it. But she's really going to ask this old friend if she'd be willing to come up to Huntersville and visit with her there. If so, my mother will be coming out with me in May. She wouldn't be at the studio, but she'd certainly be back for any hotel room wine party. :lol: :drunk:
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
mpizzazz

Re: My mother

Post by mpizzazz »

What a wonderful story, Julie, that would be great. You may end up with two roommates!!!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

How cool is that?!?!

George and I found an old friend (she was a bridesmaid in our wedding) on FB last night. I would never have recognized her - it's been almost 25 years since we've seen her.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Face book is good for re-connecting with old friends. Look forward to meeting your mom Julie.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

What a cool story
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

That's amazing, isn't it?
Hm...any thoughts about how we could help put an album together for her? All she would need to do would be to just add photos...(my brain is just about fried right now - I'm sure some of the Re(creaters) could come up with a great idea).
Pam Cook #48
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

Julie, what a sweet story. It would be so nice for your mom to see her old friend.
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

I got chills reading that story. I certainly hope it works out for your Mom, and her friend!
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
Paula

Post by Paula »

I love cool stories! This sounds like an exciting trip for her, make sure she has your camera!!
BekiWard@msn.com

Post by BekiWard@msn.com »

That's so wonderful, Julie...and Pam. I'm ever amazed at how small the world becomes on FaceBook...gotta love that!
Beki Ward
Clarksville VA
BekiWard@gmail.com
julierealtor

Post by julierealtor »

That's wonderful Julie, and you get to play a part. Very cool.
clamscrapper

Post by clamscrapper »

That's really great for both your mom, Julie and for Pam. I've reconnected with friends from high school that I hadn't seen, some since high school. It's really great finding old friends.
Carol M (NC)

Check me out.
http://clamscrapperstudio.blogspot.com/

ImageImage