Alhambra

Debbie J

Alhambra

Post by Debbie J »

This place was awesome!

Journaling reads:

The name Alhambra comes from an Arabic root which means "red or crimson castle", perhaps due to the hue of the towers and walls that surround the entire hill of La Sabica which by starlight is silver but by sunlight is transformed into gold. But there is another more poetic version, evoked by the Moslem analysts who speak of the construction of the Alhambra fortress "by the light of torches", the reflections of which gave the walls their particular coloration. Created originally for military purposes, the Alhambra was an "alcazaba" (fortress), an "alcázar" (palace) and a small "medina" (city), all in one. This triple character helps to explain many distinctive features of the monument.
Attachments
Alhambra.jpg
Alhambra.jpg (89.96 KiB) Viewed 335 times
Alhambra1.jpg
Alhambra1.jpg (97.47 KiB) Viewed 335 times
troublesmom

Re: Alhambra

Post by troublesmom »

Very nice Deb!
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
scrappin nurse

Post by scrappin nurse »

You are on a roll and the results are fabulous!
julierealtor

Post by julierealtor »

Amazing photos Deb...love the LO's too. Cypress is perfect for this.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Beautiful. I'm loving the Cypress with your pictures.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
djenns

Post by djenns »

Great LO"s and photos......where exactly is this place?

Thanks
Diana
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

It's in Granada, Spain and it is a fortress, also a palace where the King of Spain stayed at times and also a city within itself. Pretty cool!! Gorgeous inside. Outside is really not that elaborate because it was also a fortress to keep enemies out. The gardens take 40 full time people to maintain, Those LO's will come later.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Man, I would love to go there! Just gorgeous!!!
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Oh my goodness - beautiful!
Pam Cook #48
Monica

Post by Monica »

Wow... what an incredible place to visit

Monica
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

the castle is so cool. and cyprus is working great with the pics from your trip
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

Beautiful LOs, Debbie!
tichwoli

Post by tichwoli »

This is such an awesome location and your layouts are super.

The Alhambra was the last Moorish Bastion on the European continent and was ceded to Spain in 1492.

One of the most awesome things I remember about the Alhambra is that since it is build on a mountain - water was precious and there are lots of fountains in all kinds of locations within the Alhambra that show that water was precious.

In that whole area there are romany gypsies who still live their lives in caves but not as you would expect - they have water, heat and power so many of the caves have tvs and all the amenities as we know them. Another little point of interest is that some of the world's most talented jazz guitar players come from that area. Django Rheinhard who played with the Hot Club in the twenties and thirties (I think) to name just one had only two fingers on his string hand and was a real virtuoso. The latest in the line is a young man named Birelli Lagrene and I had the opportunity of seeing this artist when he was 13 years old the first time and thought that he was a star in the making then.

Anyway, the Alhambra is one of the most wonderful locations in Southern Europe and on a clear day you can see all the way across the Meditarranean to north Africa.

sorry about the ramble.
Jenni Benni

Post by Jenni Benni »

Beautiful LO's Debbie. Makes me want to go.
Jenni Benni
Mom to 3 sweet little boys.