Hey, Christy -- Swirl ink in water technique

New tricks to amaze your friends
bethrich

Hey, Christy -- Swirl ink in water technique

Post by bethrich »

Christy,

I feel like such a doofus -- what kind of ink is it to swirl in water to lay cardstock in and create randomly colored backgrounds? And was it on a glossy cardstock? I recall a thirsty card stock didn't work as well.

TIA
julierealtor

Re: Hey, Christy -- Swirl ink in water technique

Post by julierealtor »

Probably alcohol ink on glossy CS....

You can float any type of ink on future floor wax too...or on shaving cream...LOL
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

julie is right.

Alcohol ink & glossy cardstock
Monica

Post by Monica »

I've done this techinque years ago, using dye reinkers, before the alcohol inks came on to the market. You could probably use the Distress reinkers as well. Only the pigment ones wouldn't really work.

Monica
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

Thanks for the tips. I tries alcohol inks, but no joy. I guess my cardstock wasn't glossy enough. I'll have to dig deeper in the stash.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I never had any luck with that technique either Beth. Whatever special magic it took to get that one to work, I couldn't find it. :roll: I think someone even suggested adding a little bit of dish soap to the water (I guess to help the ink not just dissipate and fall to the bottom. But that didn't make much difference for me.

Good luck!
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
julierealtor

Post by julierealtor »

The ink floats better on floor wax...or even shaving cream...fyi...and it has to be glossy paper for alcohol ink to work..
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I had great luck using the shave cream method with Stampin' Up! refills and GLOSSY CARD Stock. Glossy is very important as Julie said. I fou do the shave cream go to the dollar store and get a cheap can. You may as well do a lot of them while you are making the mess. Fun to do.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

I was going to pick up shaving cream at the grocery store and forgot! Floor wax, not a chance! So I ended up misting with water and dabbing with distress ink, alternating until I got a look I liked.

I had used a semi-glossy pop with the alcohol ink and it just didn't want to pick up any color. Sounds like the cardstock was the issue for sure.
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Beth we can do it when you come over here next time. I have it already and a pan to play with it in.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO