Art Journal Questions

New tricks to amaze your friends
arbywytz

Art Journal Questions

Post by arbywytz »

I'm new to all of this.

For those of you who do make art journals, do you use loose sheets or bound books?

If you use bound books, do you care that the book gets all deformed and lumpy?

If you use loose sheets, what do you do with the pages when finished? If you bind them together, what size pages do you have?

How long does it take you to make a page (on average?)

Do you have a plan or do you wing it?

I've got so many questions!!!
Ruth Ann Landry

Re: Art Journal Questions

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

My art journal is way different than the journals the girls are presently making with christie.....I have a spiral notebook with vinyl cover that I altered..(of course), and the pages are lined on one side and plain on the other. I use mine to jot down techniques I find or ideas I'd like to try. I also do small pieces with the technique and adhere those to the plain side. I keep mine mostly just to refer to when I need ideas or don't want to forget how to do something.
julierealtor

Post by julierealtor »

arbywytz wrote:I'm new to all of this.

For those of you who do make art journals, do you use loose sheets or bound books?

If you use loose sheets, what do you do with the pages when finished? If you bind them together, what size pages do you have?

Ellen, there is no 'right' way to do it. My personal journal is bind it all bound with watercolor paper. If you want to alter a book you simply glue several pages together and gesso the pages and work on them. For the art journals we're doing round robin right now, some of us stitch bound pages (signature) and some were loose pages. We determined our own size...no larger than could fit in a 6x9 envelope. When I am finished with however many rounds Christy has us do, I'm going to bind them together by stitching. How long does it take to do a page...good question...depends on my mojo :D Sometimes it takes a few hours...sometimes a few days. I usually start with some type of image in my head...or a collage piece I want to use...and then WING IT! Some of the girls on here are very good at this...I think most of us consider it play...plus in the end, we get to have a little piece of art from each other.
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Teesha Moore has a video on your page how to make journal books with water color paper. That's what I use.

http://www.teeshaslandofodd.com/1/temp.html
rinda

Post by rinda »

arbywytz wrote:I'm new to all of this.

I love art journaling! I have been using spiral bound watercolor pads but just bought some bound journals from Dick Blick. I did take a class recently from Dina Wakley at Get it Scrapped where we learned a copic binding technique to put together loose pages. I'd say most of my art journal pages take about 30 minutes to complete. Sometimes I have a plan when I start (I always have at least some idea of where I want to start - even if it's only a thought/subject I want to journal about or a background idea I want to use or an image or technique stuck in my head - but I let my muse go wherever it wants once it starts.

I have lots of art journal pages and ideas (as well as links to the Dick Blick journals and Dina Wakley class) on my blog (which is in my siggy). I"d love to have you stop by.

rinda
rinda

Post by rinda »

Here's a link to a longish post I did about art journaling on my blog:
http://gallorganico.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... aling.html

And the followup:

http://gallorganico.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... d-now.html

Rinda
arbywytz

Post by arbywytz »

Thanks for the ideas!!! Rinda, today I hope to have time to read your exquisite blog. I took a peek yesterday before a crowd of company arrived. I promised myself that I read it after the clean up today as a treat!
rinda

Post by rinda »

Thanks Ellen! I started blogging last fall, and I really like it.
Rinda