Deck of Art--2 of spades-ANGER/Frustration

The Deck of Art challenge is where you use old playing cards as a base for altered art. Once card is chosen per week, with a theme, and results are posted here.
troublesmom

Re: Deck of Art--2 of spades-ANGER/Frustration

Post by troublesmom »

Paula that is wonderful! I really like the fact that your "repaired" photo is used.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

Well, this didn't turn out anything like what I originally envisioned, but I kinda like it. The red background is Distress ink on a craft sheet, spritzed with water and white cardstock shmooshed into it (Tim's technique, of course). Then I found a picture of an angry lion on Google Image search. I played around with that in photoshop and then printed it on the background. Then I clear embossed the whole thing and black embossed around the edges. The quote is by Colin Powell.

Whew, this was a tough one.
Deck of art - 2 of spades.jpg
Deck of art - 2 of spades.jpg (78.03 KiB) Viewed 344 times
Sue in NC (formerly known as Sue in Colorado)
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Wow,, these are great! Lots of emotion!

This is going to take some thought. It might take me weeks. to do this one. On the 12 hour plane ride back from OZ, I read the book Children of Self Absorbed Parents about how grownup children can learn to live with and protect themselves from their parent's narcissism. It even has paint and collage exercises for the child to do-that would be me. This could get heavy-as they used to say-back in the day :angry48:
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Oh Sue! I like!
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Paula

Post by Paula »

Nice card, Sue----Love it!
coolboxuk

Post by coolboxuk »

Paula - perfect picture for the challenge!!! I was looking for one of mine, looking sullen or something, but couldn't find one. I suppose my mother just didn't take "that kinda photo". Had to find a way around it...

Sue - that's striking. Like Pam's it's very abstract and artsy - can just about make out the lion - but I like it and I think it represents the challenge very well.
coolboxuk

Post by coolboxuk »

I finally managed to finish mine - as I couldn't find any tantrum or sullen photo of yours truly in her childhood I had to find a way around it by using a photo of one of the things that I found VERY frustrating when I was little.

The journal says it all really...
Clip journal reads: "There was enough to be frustrated over in my childhood: nobody to play with as I had no siblings or cousins, and no children of my age close by; never seeing my parents together for “family stuff” because were on non-speaking terms; my grandma’s overcooked meals - especially the meat was always horrid; Mother being out every night on sojourns with her boyfriends…but more than anything else it was having to sit tight and being quiet all afternoon in our little flat while grandma was teaching her piano students that got me frustrated. It was then that I developed my love for books - one pastime for which I didn't get told off!
Photo: 1968; Grandma and Monica Buchholz"

There isn't really much on this card - a tiny strip of sheet music vellum and the musical note charm, and I have no idea where I acquired them; all the peel-offs are from Craft Creations.
Attachments
DOA_frustration.jpg
DOA_frustration.jpg (96.68 KiB) Viewed 315 times
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Really good interpretation of the theme, Petra!
Clever way to get around the lack of photos and probably something you wouldn't record for posterity otherwise!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
Maritza

Post by Maritza »

The title of this ATC is Anger. I found this topic to be especially difficult for Me., because few things cause me to be “angry” except for “great injustices” such as child abuse etc and I did not want to express such topics with “my art”.

The one topic I felt safe to artistically explore/express is the current assault on our (United States) freedom. I see our country, our citizens loosing its freedoms as my parents Country (Cuba) lost theirs, and that thought causes me “Anger”. It also brings other emotions but I will not express them here.

Enough said.. I believe that all the components of this ATC are from “Freedom” if not please feel free to correct me. I do know that ALL the components are from CLUB Scrap, except for the masking of the barb wire which is Tim Holtz. (The card stock used for the red and black paint is from CS (it’s a discarded piece of CS place mat from my FCC days, the paint if cheap acrylic stuff)
Attachments
Anger_resized.jpg
Anger_resized.jpg (201.55 KiB) Viewed 289 times
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Wow! that's very powerful Maritza and I am soooooooo with you there.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Amen. Not all changes are good. And that's all I'll say.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

If I had done this card this week, it would be about the frustrations of technology! I'm limping along with Internet problems but I got one card posted so I'll try another.
I choose a frustrating theme from childhood-the word "NO" which I heard a lot of the time. It was always the first thing out of my Mother's mouth. I added ghost teardrops for all the tears and the question for all my questioning, why not?. The background is one of those Nevr Dull backgrounds from our Bernie Berlin weeks. And some red paint for Anger.
Attachments
Two of Spades/Anger
Two of Spades/Anger
Deck of Art Anger copy.jpg (83.67 KiB) Viewed 262 times
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
Paula

Post by Paula »

Marianne, I feel your frustration! I could never get used to that word :twisted: Thanks for sharing, it brought back memories that are not just in my childhood :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paula
coolboxuk

Post by coolboxuk »

Wow, Marianne, that's a really good one. I could have gone for that "theme" as well! It was very prevalent in my childhood, too... The card is really cleverly done, with all the NOs and the question, an the background...
Maritza

Post by Maritza »

Marianne

you made me laugh