favorite embossing powders?

Save some $ Find out what works
ChristyB

favorite embossing powders?

Post by ChristyB »

what is your favorite brand of embossing powders?

Forever I had used Tim Holtz and what ever they sold at Michaels or the like.
Anyway I had a few small jars of PK Glitz (how I got them who knows) and I used one yesterday. OMG I am in love with them. The detail it gave and the colors wow. Makes me want to go embossing all sorts of things ;)
pamcook

Re: favorite embossing powders?

Post by pamcook »

I've used Stampin Up with good results and of course Tim Holtz. I'll have to look through my stash.
PK Glitz, huh? I need to go shopping...
Pam Cook #48
LadyJaine

Post by LadyJaine »

I like anything I can find in 'detail' grade. I don't like embossing grit, I like embossing powder. And Versamark for the layer underneath. You need to start with a nice, clear, sticky image.
Luanne

Post by Luanne »

Judikins has a great line with 'Diamond sparkle', 'Agean silver' and 'Rusted tin can' as some of my favorites, but for plain black I dare you to find a better powder than 'Colorizer'. It's from EK success. Just fantastic. I have actually began using their clear as well, very very fine (as in grain, almost like dust) powders. There is another, harder to find line called 'moon glow' with two toned powders. I have cosmic pink/blue and Aurora/amethyst. Great for fairies. Finally I adore All night media for gold...smells so good it has to be bad.

Overall Ranger powders are great, and they match with inks and pens and paints. Plus they are fairly easy to find. Tim's powders (shhh don't tell on me) I really dislike. I never have been able to master them.
Dani Larcom

Post by Dani Larcom »

Glad I'm not the only one - I'm not in love with Tim's powders or the crackle paints. I do struggle with fingding a good black EP - I'll have to try that one Luanne.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Oh man - I love the distress powders. Probably because no matter how I try, most of my embossing looks distressed anyway :)
I'll have to try some of these recommendations - I agree, the finer the powder, the better the results. I use versamark for embossing ink, too.
Pam Cook #48
julierealtor

Post by julierealtor »

I probably own 40 jars of EP...I think the hardest to find are fine detail powders. I use ranger the most because it's readily available and inexpensive...but I really do love Judikins powders although pricey.
rettaescape

Post by rettaescape »

I have some of that two of tone moonglow. I love it!! I found it at the Milwaukee Rubber stamp and scrapbook convention not that that does you much good in NC. But if you get an opportunity to try it I think you will like it. I think they have a web site Lindy Stamp Gang...I think?
Hasmom99

Post by Hasmom99 »

When the distress embossing powders first came out, I was told at a class that they are supposed to stay a little grainy and that if you rub them after your heat them that a little bit of the granules should rub off - that is the distressed look. I like the look sometimes. But I have not really liked using any of the distress stickles I have. They come out very flat and something about them never looks right to me.
fuzzylover

Post by fuzzylover »

I bought some Powder Keg embossing powders at a trade show - I love them!!! Since then I've hit the site and added quite a few more to my collection.

They are nice detail powders - even writing comes out nice and clean.
rinda

Post by rinda »

My all-time favorite is Ranger Liquid Platinum. It looks like molten steel!
Rinda
Dani Larcom

Post by Dani Larcom »

Hasmom99 wrote:When the distress embossing powders first came out, I was told at a class that they are supposed to stay a little grainy and that if you rub them after your heat them that a little bit of the granules should rub off - that is the distressed look. I like the look sometimes. But I have not really liked using any of the distress stickles I have. They come out very flat and something about them never looks right to me.
It's hard to tell when they are set, and I either end up with ALL the stuff falling off or none of it.
Hasmom99

Post by Hasmom99 »

Dani,
I agree with you. Sometimes I can tell - if I have good lighting and I look very closely I can see a slight color change. But it is a challenge.