photoshop elements

Save some $ Find out what works
pamcook

photoshop elements

Post by pamcook »

I'll admit it - I almost never use my PSE - is that because I have version 4 and the newer versions are light-years better?
Should I splurge on version 7?
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Re: photoshop elements

Post by jfugina »

I jumped from 3 to 5, and honestly, I can't really say that I noticed much of a difference. The organizer was all new, but the rest of the program - not much. Though, I will say that I didn't know how to use many of the features at the time and may just not have noticed.

I'll have version 7 by next week. I'll let you know what I noticed that's different. I'm hoping it has better memory management. With version 5, it doesn't seem to release memory, even when I merge layers, or close files. It still keeps it open - and when you've got 1G of RAM open, you can't do anything.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Holly

Post by Holly »

It's a Photoshop product-- I believe they have some kind of memory leak, cause it does the same thing to me in CS2. When I work in it for a long time, I keep an eye out in task manager, so when I get close, I save and shut down and give it time to fix itself before I start up again.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

My new laptop will have 4G on it, which is 3G more than my PC currently has. So I'm hoping I get LOTS better performance. I didn't get the laptop to replace my PC. I got it to be a digi scrapping tool. So I spec'd it for PSE specifically. I'm looking so forward to "scrapping" all over the house without making a mess! :cool5:
Julie Fugina
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

I still only have PSE3 and have no trouble using it. And I'm sure I don't even know half of what it can do.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Your memory can have a leak in it?
Wait, what were we talking about anyway?
Pam Cook #48
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

pamcook wrote:Your memory can have a leak in it??
:hijack:
That explains it!!!
Holly

Post by Holly »

I know my memory has a leak! That explains all those times I know something- but not right now! :lol:
gwenj

Post by gwenj »

Ah yes, those memory leaks, they happen to me all the time--LOL
nancine

Post by nancine »

gosh... that explains a lot...
Luly

Post by Luly »

I have PSE 6. I got it last year and didn't use it til I got Scrappers Guide that helped me to use it. Now I don't know how I ever functioned with out it. In addition to all the dig scrapping I am doing, it is helping me restore some old photos I have had for a while.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I've heard the later versions are more geared for scrapbookers. Jessica lives relatively close by. I should find her house and go knock on her door :)
Pam Cook #48
tlscrap

Post by tlscrap »

I've never used an earlier version, I have 6 and love it!! I don't think I'll ever need 7, that memory leak may prohibit me from learning anything newer :giggle:
http://tlscrap.blogspot.com/
PAO #8
Theresa Lee
Painesville, Ohio
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I stuck with 5 because I had heard rumblings from those who knew more than I did, that 6 was actually a non-improvement over 5. But I would suspect if 6 was what you started with, then you'd never know the difference. :-) I'm getting version 7, because I'm having it pre-installed on my new laptop, and that's the most current version.
Julie Fugina
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

I looked at the technical requirements for 7 and decided my laptop can't handle it without an upgrade. So, Pam, if you decide to go for it, check your speed and memory.

I'm using 4 and have no complaints (yet). :D