QOTD---Dani inspired me....

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
Dani Larcom

Re: QOTD---Dani inspired me....

Post by Dani Larcom »

We grew up near a plant that manufactured electrical cords, wires, etc. They had a dumpster out back that they'd throw the rejects in. We used to dive in there about once a month and pull out all kinds of treasures, then go home and make "inventions." See? I was doing it then too!
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

Dani Larcom wrote:We grew up near a plant that manufactured electrical cords, wires, etc. They had a dumpster out back that they'd throw the rejects in. We used to dive in there about once a month and pull out all kinds of treasures, then go home and make "inventions." See? I was doing it then too!
The Childrens Museum up in Boston had a part of the store where you could go in and get all sorts of recycled stuff. It was the best, you'd come home with wires, and circuits, and wood pieces etc.
even back then we were into altering things :lol:
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

yep - totally dumpster divers here -and my parents took us kids! We lived near a Toys R Us and they used to throw out returned games/toys that were broken, damaged, missing parts. I remember getting the Operation game and it was only missing one piece (probably the heart, lol)!

Then when my parents lived in Redondo Beach for 5 years; mom would walk the beach at 6 a.m.. every morning and come home with all kinds of stuff - beach towels, shirts, hats, etc. Anything she could wash & recycle she would. She would donate stuff found to the goodwill or send it to us kids!

There were many times my dad would be driving when we were younger and she would ask him to pull over to get something out of the road! It's a wonder we all weren't killed!

And I can honestly say - I have never taken my kids dumpster diving or stopped on the freeway to pick something up! I guess I didn't carry on the tradition!

Cathy:)
Lynn K

Post by Lynn K »

I have never been dumpster diving. I have looked at stuff on the side of road or set out that stated "free" but I usually don't have a use for what it is or have space for it!! There is a group of people that are freegans, Oprah did a show on them. they TOTALLY live off the dumpsters and such, and it is basically to use things that would be going to waste. It was a good Oprah episode.
donnak

Post by donnak »

My MIL introduced me to dumpster diving - it is so much fun - she went to the dumpsters behind places like Big Lots and other discount stores. We always find something interesting. There used to be an alley in Scottsdale, AZ where people would put the best stuff out for the garbage trucks - wow! It was so fun! I haven't been in a long while but I'm up for it if I can find someone to go with me! :anyone:
Jenni Benni

Post by Jenni Benni »

when I was growing up, we were very poor and my parents took us dumpster diving to find food. we found dented cans and expired food. that is really sad.

I thank god every day that my husband and I can provide for our son and don't have to dumpster dive. I don't even like going to yard sales.
Jenni Benni
Mom to 3 sweet little boys.
fuzzylover

Post by fuzzylover »

Even though I grew up in New York City, I don't remember even seeing a dumpster until I moved to Long Island - LOL.

However, the "Gold Coast" north shore of Long Island is noted for the wealthier class - and we would often go "curbside shopping". You would not believe what they would throw out. Honestly, we didn't have a lot - but we weren't poor either - but some of that stuff was better than what we had in the house. Just to show how good some of the stuff was - years ago, there was "private carting" on Long Island. You actually had to pay the garbage man to pick up your garbage, or you took it to the dump yourself. The garbage companies that "won" the carting rights in the upper class areas would actually call the police if they caught you taking any of "their trash". Yep - it was worth it to the trash collectors to get that stuff and sell it to 2nd hand stores and such. So, our version of dumpster diving had it's own perils - LOL.
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

bethrich wrote:Dumpster diving, not so much. But the landfill when I was a kid! Oh, my, we had fun! I don't recall finding any great treasures, but to kids anything's a treasure.
Oh the landfill....I remember going to the landfill with my Dad. I think he would bring back more stuff then we carried. Mom would get so mad. :) Oh the memories.
Laurie Bennett #118 on POA
North Carolina