QOTD---Dani inspired me....

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
ChristyB

QOTD---Dani inspired me....

Post by ChristyB »

Ever go dumpster diving???

me-Yes at a frito lay plant. They would put the bags of stuff that had dates past the best buy. still good but couldn't sell. My parents would lift us up and over into these big dumpsters and we'd pull out the good stuff
(and no we weren't the only ones who did this, there was a group of us--and it was a clean dumpster reserved just for this cause-they knew people pulled them out)
julierealtor

Re: QOTD---Dani inspired me....

Post by julierealtor »

ummm, maybe not a dumpster (way too short for that) but use to love to go to the landfill with my dad and treasure search...i still have no idea what he was looking for and don't recall him ever really taking anything home..hmmm.

When the girls were younger, I would pick up old end tables and such that other ppl had put by the road for trash (this is how a small community recycles, ha). One time the girls were with me and there was this great old little end table and I stopped to get it..you can imagine their reaction, slid way down in their seats so no one would see them. They still remember it...so I must have damaged them!!
Paula

Post by Paula »

I'm probably one of the few who haven't. When I was younger, we lived in the country, and I never heard of such a thing. When I was married, we moved to the suburbs of Chicago, and learned of this great adventure :cool5: :cool5: By then, I had children and did not want to worry about them having to get mommy out of jail! Bwahahaha.
I am sure someone has some really cccooooooollll stories, though!! Dani.............??????

Paula
Ruth Ann Landry

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

I don't remember ever dumpster diving....I won't even take out the trash!...EEEEW, garbage!....(Dani did not get this from ME!)...HOWEVER, I do remember tipping garbage cans one Halloween!
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I must admit I never did that. However, on a morning walk one time there was a table laying in pieces and my walking buddy and I brought it home for me ;-)
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
flojo

Post by flojo »

No, I have never done that. The dumpsters around here stink like crazy. When people don't want something they put it out by the garbage can and someone will stop and take it. That's how we recycle.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

My FIL was a great scavenger and was known to hit the dumpsters. Heaven forbid anyone put something on the curb for the trash - he was subject to bring it home. The best story that the family had of him was when he was at the dumpster and heard a tiny little kitten - eyes still closed - in the dumpster. DH's mom had a small dog, Chihuahua I think, that had a litter of puppies. He took the cat home and put it in with the pups. Momma dog raised the kitten and it was convinced it was a dog. DH said it never meowed, just tried hard to bark. The same dog would let the parrot nurse. I have pics somewhere of it - if I can find them I'll scan and post.

After he died we had the task of getting rid of his "finds." 30 dump truck loads worth. The one thing we threw away that made me mad was an old fashioned school desk - I'm sure you've seen them. The type that was wooden except for the ornate metal frame that the top and the seat were mounted on. The lid of the desk raised up so there was a place to store notebooks and text books. I had asked him if I could have it for Chris' room and he said he had a use for it. It was in pieces in the yard with the beautiful old wood rotted when we threw it out.

Pam
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
julierealtor

Post by julierealtor »

pbp908 wrote:The one thing we threw away that made me mad was an old fashioned school desk - I'm sure you've seen them. The type that was wooden except for the ornate metal frame that the top and the seat were mounted on. The lid of the desk raised up so there was a place to store notebooks and text books.
Pam
Too funny Pam...I 'found' one of those for my girls when they were little...thanks for the memory.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Found a pic of the dog and cat - couldn't find the one of the dog and parrot.
img285.jpg
img285.jpg (139.37 KiB) Viewed 278 times
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Nope but driving through the (rizty) neighborhood next to ours, I found 2 concrete planters left at the curb. DH, did a U-turn and picked them up for me - they're "distressed" but I love them :)
Pam Cook #48
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

I have also picked up furniture from the side of the rd. and remade them. people throw away all sorts of stuff
scrappin nurse

Post by scrappin nurse »

I've never gone dumpster diving but when my husband was home from Iraq for his visit we were looking for a desk for my scrap area but couldn't find a good one and while going to get a few things from the store, he found a great one by one of the dumpsters. I remember him calling me saying to come and help him carry something in. It's in really good shape and made a great addition to my area!
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

We use to live in a different part of town and I noticed this old man in worn clothes would always look in our dumpster for cans to recyle--so I would leave brand new stuff in there for him cause I know he ate out of there too. I would put a package of cookies etc cause I felt bad for him, and I always made the kids put all their cans in there for him too. I have been lucky enough to never have to dumpster dive, tho!!
Paula

Post by Paula »

Debbie J wrote:We use to live in a different part of town and I noticed this old man in worn clothes would always look in our dumpster for cans to recyle--so I would leave brand new stuff in there for him cause I know he ate out of there too. I would put a package of cookies etc cause I felt bad for him, and I always made the kids put all their cans in there for him too. I have been lucky enough to never have to dumpster dive, tho!!
Debbie, what a great thing to do! That brought tears to my eyes :happy94:

Paula
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

Dumpster diving, not so much. But the landfill when I was a kid! Oh, my, we had fun! I don't recall finding any great treasures, but to kids anything's a treasure.