It's War now... - got him/her

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
Laurie

It's War now... - got him/her

Post by Laurie »

Okay....I have declared war in my house with the mouse/or mice family. We are in the new house now, have been since the week of Thanksgiving. I am slowly brining boxes in from our storage unit. I unpack the boxes as I bring them and then throw them away. Well, right before Christmas I got so busy that I didn't get to unpack a few of the boxes, I just stuck them in a closet until after Christmas (this is where I think they must have come from). They are eating the dog food right out of the bowl (I see mouse dropping around the dog bowl). So, I put an old fashion mouse trap by the corner wall by the dog bowl. I think those sticky pads are kind of cruel. I've changed my mind now since the mouse ate the peanut butter off the trap and didn't even trip the trap. It's now WAR!
Laurie Bennett #118 on POA
North Carolina
aprilpzzl

Re: It's War now...

Post by aprilpzzl »

Warrior Laurie,

You remind me of the days I lived in a little house in the woods. Alway found evidence and sometime saw the little brown "cute" guys. My fellow finally tackled all the hole around pipes, etc.

Hummm, pic of the day?
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

He had to come in with all those boxes from storage because during construction I was really staying behind those guys to make sure all the holes were closed in good. So, he/they must have come in with the boxes......I was nice, but no more...to many droppings everywhere.
North Carolina
InkPattie

Post by InkPattie »

You plugged all the holes, so they can't get away! Just leave a door open for a while, and they'll leave. hee hee hee
donnak

Post by donnak »

After you put the peanut butter on the trap, wrap a little sewing thread around the peanut butter (this sounds so cruel but it works), the mouse's teeth get caught in the thread and they get caught in the trap! DH uses this method in our detached garage and so far, he's trapped several mice in there (none in the house thank goodness)
jdrhope

Post by jdrhope »

patients! We had one before Christmas. he ate the peanut butter so much that we quite putting it on the trap. About two weeks later, I found him in the trap. he got a little to confident, i guess.
Ruth Ann Landry

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

We had the same problem once, too...live in a woody area with lots of fields around us....critter kept springing the trap and taking the bait, but no critter...we got a rat trap and guess what? It was a rat the size of a kitten...UGH! it was so big the small trap couldn't hold it!
flojo

Post by flojo »

Do you have a shotgun? :lol: :lol: :lol: No, I'm not laughing at you, just being silly. We had one in our house a long time ago and it would only make noise when dh was not around. Then one night, he went running across the floor and dh saw something and I yelled there it is that's the mouse I've been telling you about. Of course he never believed me. But after he saw it streak across in front of us watching tv he said okay I'll set a trap. He put cheese in it and the next day we found it in the trap.

We found the hole it chewed to get in and I didn't realize that I had left an Easter basket in that closet and that's what he was after. I looked in the basket and all the little candies were chewed on. I threw out the basket and no other ones ever came in. I hope you find a solution soon. At least it wasn't spiders.
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

I have a doggie door for our 2 little dogs. (We have a fenced in back yard.) At first I thought that they might be coming in through there. But Steve (my dear husband) said he didn't think they could come in through there. Hummmm. I wonder now?
North Carolina
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

Field mice will get into anything if
they have the mind to do it., you'll
drive yourself crazy trying to find
their entrance portals. :)
We would get them every change of season.
Ours loved Oreos, and that was what we used,
the big mice that lived in the house also
loved the Oreos, LOL
We now have one of the electronic
gizmos that plug into an outlet on each floor of the
house and we haven't had a mouse since we
plugged them in. I'd advise them to anyone
that gets the little visitors in.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Peanut butter doesn't work very well - you need to use cheese. They need something to tug to trigger the springloaded traps.

I'd be happy to donate a cat or two.

Pam
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

Okay girls....I found a scripture that I am going to put by the sticky pad tonight.....

"I've declared war on you mice.....for in Malachi 3:11 it says 'I will prevent pests from devouring your crops,..... says the Lord Almighty', and you are a pest!"

Of course this is probably taken out of context....but I can't stand these little things that come out at night an eat up stuff and leave their droppings.....
North Carolina
julierealtor

Post by julierealtor »

When we built our new home we had the same problem the first few months. Too many people going in and out and they had free reign. First I did traps, then sticky tape and finally I hid Dcon in the back of the cupboards and that did it! Of course we had to keep it out of the reach of the animals.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

What a pain - we had them in our bedroom wall - it almost drove us crazy. Bought the poison that comes in a yellow wedge-shaped box (can't think of the name). No more mice in our wall. You know our property has all sorts of critters but we haven't seen any in years (the cats were only fascinated with seeing them run...)
Pam Cook #48
carriemck

Post by carriemck »

Our house is 86 years old and our summer cottage about 120 years old. Needless to say they both have a ton of mice. In the summer they are never inside, but they move in as fall cools off. I use mouse bait, the little paper trays, and put them in the pantry behind the food where the dogs cannot get to them no matter what. At the cottage I put them under the microwave cart and between the fridge and the stove. In the fall of 2007, we had so many mice at the cottage it was seriously freaking me out, used lots of bait all winter, and did not see any this past summer and very little "leave behinds". Here at the house, we had so many that DH would set four traps (we use peanut butter and bacon) in the pantry before he left for work at about 6 am and when I would get up at 7, they'd be full. I'd empty them and reset, and they'd be full again by noon. Again and again and again. It was not until we bought the poison that they stopped coming. This year I know there is one that has survived, because the bird seed bag gets nibbled, but compared to years past, I can handle that!!

I refuse to feel guilty; they are rodents, and not the cute cuddly kind like our late bunny.

GO GET 'EM!!!