Take this job...

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
ChrisR

Take this job...

Post by ChrisR »

and well you know the rest of the line. I work as a part time pharmacist for a grocery store chain. We recently have been given new software that is crappola. It is slow and cumbersome. On top of that, the hours for my support staff has been drastically reduced. I went from an average 20 minute wait to 2 hours (sometimes longer). Friday night I had to stay over an hour past closing just to get caught up. I couldn't take it anymore. I called my supervisor and gave notice. I am terrified that I am going to make a mistake that can injure some one under these poor working conditions. I couldn't live with myself if that happened. She wants to have a meeting to discuss the situation, and maybe convince me not to leave. I'm not holding my breath. Oh, yeah, we also just got an email that we aren't getting any pay raise this year either. I don't any BS about the ecomony being bad. The sales for our division are up 4.2%. What I do believe is that they are trying to pay for the massive cost over runs that the new crappola software costs. The budget for the entire process was 50 million. Only 40 out of 700 stores have been switched and has already cost over 75 million. I don't have another job lined up, but I am hopeful to find one (non-retail) in a couple of months.
Ruth Ann Landry

Re: Take this job...

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

Chris, I am a CNN...news junky...and one economic report said that the only area where sales have gone up and not down is in health care..now we probably know why all those people need health care right now, but NO...I wouldn't take the economy as an excuse either.
Monica

Post by Monica »

Chris, that is just terrible. I hope you can find what you need, with a job that pays well and makes you happy. :happy94:

Monica
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

You go get 'em, Chris! You'll do fine!
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

good thoughts
Holly

Post by Holly »

Your job is in demand, I think!, so good luck and I hope short look time. You might want to try and find a compound lab pharmacy, where you don't need to interact with the customers.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Stick to your guns Chris. What a joke that a software that is so cumbersome and useless is so incredibly costly. Someone must have a BIL in the software business and sold your company a real bill of goods. Sounds pretty shaky to me...good time to get out of there just based on that. I'll keep good thoughts for you to find something terrific.
FARLEY in Sacramento
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Best of luck Chris! We're all here for you. I agree that using the economy as an excuse is crap in their case. Rob works for a grocery store, and they're trying to claim poor economy for budget not being met. That doesn't make sense to me. In bad times, people should be spending MORE money at grocery stores and less at restaurants. And I know full well that grocery stores do not make their money on margin. It's ALL volume. So a customer scaling back from a can of name brand corn to store brand corn doesn't make a difference. It's the additional cans that bring in the money.

Anyway... I digress. You're probably right about the software. They just figure everyone is conditioned to just take the economy excuse and think that's the end of it. No more discussion. Good for you standing up for your working conditions - and you're so right - you can NOT be in a position to be hurried or tired! Good for you. I'm keeping fingers crossed for an ideal outcome.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Paula

Post by Paula »

Just a note of interest here, In the food business, the economy does hit them really hard. The stores only make about a nickel on the dollar, and that is considered a strong turn. Most items on sale are sold below their margin. What they do make their money on, is not the cans of vegies, but the bakery and deli and produce. The perishable shops. With a bad economy, these shops are seeing a decline in margin due to low sales. People do their own baking now, and tend to stay away from the fast meals items. So, even though they make the money in traffic, they still are impacted in the slow economy. As far as the pharmacy area is concerned, they are a profit area, but with the drive to lower charges ($4 scripts in most stores) and the increase of insurance companies demanding generics, the margins have been impacted drastically. I think most areas are hit by the economy, except the medical, which are usually overcharging for their services. I agree Chris, that your job is one of the most stressful and demanding jobs I can think of. Long, long hours, and a HUGE responsibilty. I applaud you for the time that you have worked in that position, and certainly understand the need to move on. Sometimes decisions by corporate are just not the right ones, and the people at the stores, aka*battle field* must carry the brundt of their bad decision. I spent 31 years managing a large food store, so I know your pain. Best of luck to you, as I am sure you will be able to find a job quickly. Happy hunting, and hang in there! There is a life on the other side :happy94:

Paula
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Stick to your guns. Good luck to you Chris what ever your decision!
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Quick update. Well, my supervisor originally wanted to talk me into staying. However, when her supervisor realized that I was not happy about the new crappy system, he told her to not talk me into staying AND to not honor my 3 week notice. A small part of me has a wounded ego. After all, I was with them for over 10 years. But apparently, no trainer is allowed to say anything negative about the VP's new toy. The MAJORITY of me is thrilled that I don't have to work there on Monday, which I was dreading immensely.

I have been uploading/emailing my resume like crazy this past week. Hopefully, I will get a nibble soon. I really don't want to work retail any more. That would be a really easy job to secure, but I am tired of it. I am hoping to find something in a hospital or nursing home.
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Chris good luck! With your skills I'm sure you will be able to find something soon.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

Good Luck Chris
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

I wish you good luck Chris.

I was majorally crushed when the High School cut my job after 12 years. They offered me a silly position at another site which I turned down. I probably should of been thankful for that, but instead I focused more on my job ending at RHS. I was just devastated that they did that to me. I tried a part-time job at Best Buy - but retail is no fun!

And things work out for a reason. I would of had to have quit RHS in December anyway if I still worked there. I've been at my other part-time job (bridal store accountant WITH BENEFITS) for 21 years. My coworker developed lung cancer in the summer and went through chemo and had her lung removed (she's cancer free right at this moment) - but she ended up leaving and I took over her hours. The money is better and my life is easier juggling one job.

So hang in there. Usually things work out for a reason even if we can't see it at the moment.

Cathy:)
Luanne

Post by Luanne »

Work is overrated!

Isn't it ironic the industry is crying poor me, then is willing to let someone like you go? I drive almost 30 minutes 2x a month just to get to the Pharmacy, eventhough there is one on the corner I could walk to, because of the Pharmacist. Chris you were too expensive. They'll hire some kid right out of school, and the customers will be crushed that you're not there.

Good luck with the Hospital or Nursing Home gigs. Hopefully you won't get a hospice center!