bethrich

Re: Announcement: Maintenance follow-up

Post by bethrich »

All right, shhhh! :shh:

I bet you don't know my age! Identity theft needs a year, too. :D
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Admin, thanks for your on-going enthusiasm and hard work for all of us. I'm happy to say I haven't had any problems ever on this site. So far so smooth.
FARLEY in Sacramento
flojo

Post by flojo »

I hate to sound like a dope but your address is in the phone book unless you have an unlisted number. All some person would have to do is put your address in Mapquest and they're at your door. That's just me though.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

The phone's not in my name, but it would be easy enough to read all of my posts to find out what DH's name is. Not that I think anyone would go to that much trouble, though. LOL.

Pam
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

we are unlisted--besides that I never changed my name so last is not the same as DH and very very few people know it ;)
Dani Larcom

Post by Dani Larcom »

flojo wrote:I hate to sound like a dope but your address is in the phone book unless you have an unlisted number. All some person would have to do is put your address in Mapquest and they're at your door. That's just me though.
Ever try Google-ing your phone mumber? try it - MAP TO YOUR HOUSE.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Dani Larcom wrote:
flojo wrote:I hate to sound like a dope but your address is in the phone book unless you have an unlisted number. All some person would have to do is put your address in Mapquest and they're at your door. That's just me though.
Ever try Google-ing your phone mumber? try it - MAP TO YOUR HOUSE.

Try this: go to Google and click maps, then enter an address, it will show you a satellite view, now click inside the balloon "street view". I was blown away that I could see my house up close from street level view !!!! It doesn't work for every town, but Sacramento sure is on it and many other metro areas. Try it. Cool but scary, stalkers must love this.
FARLEY in Sacramento
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

I have to add to that. I don't put my address online in forums, nor my birthdate. My last name can be found online, but our phones are definitely unlisted. Sure, someone who tried hard enough can steal my identity or show up at my door. I just don't want to make it too easy by divulging too much information in one place.
Ruth Ann

Post by Ruth Ann »

I tried that and sure enough our house is there. However, it's an awful photo because the sun wasn't at a good angle. Our house is out-of-focus but the house across the street are in very sharp focus as is the house next door on one side. But I guess that's good.

Ruth Ann
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Ruth Ann wrote:I tried that and sure enough our house is there. However, it's an awful photo because the sun wasn't at a good angle. Our house is out-of-focus but the house across the street are in very sharp focus as is the house next door on one side. But I guess that's good.

Ruth Ann

Don't you find that kind of weird? Just think, someone has driven down each street with some sort of special camera/video, street after street? We checked out our old house and as we "drove" down the street there was a car ahead of us moving and turning the corner. Eerie. Imagine having that as your job?
FARLEY in Sacramento
Ruth Ann

Post by Ruth Ann »

Very weird! I wonder what that job paid!

And I could turn around in a circle and see the houses across the street and "drive" down the street and see the houses. There didn't seem to be seams in the photos either. Must have been a very special camera.

I also checked out DD's house and they have it wrong. With their address you "see" the house up the street. It's possible to move to their house, but the address that shows for the photo of their house incorrect. That might be good in some respects!

Ruth Ann
Sharonv

Post by Sharonv »

Linda in Alaska sent me a package and I did that and I could actually see her house and the whole street
flojo

Post by flojo »

Someone had talked about this before and I googled mine and could not see my house very clearly but could see the tail end of a car we had parked in the driveway that did not run and I could see the neighbors' houses well. I just did it again and it has to be a new photo because before there was that old car that has recently been removed. It shows my house clearly this time and the car is gone.
nancine

Post by nancine »

actually for the "street view" from Google they have a team (2 people I think) that go around and take photos from the street with some kind of special camera on the top of the car. I saw something on the news regarding it - I live about 30 minutes from Mtn. View where Google is headquartered! When I do my house address it isn't exactly in front of my house so I think the camera rotates in a circle.

Now the satelite view ones I don' know about - but our house shows my DDs car parked in front and she hasn't lived with us for 4 years!!
flojo

Post by flojo »

I just went and researched it and it is done by satellite, so that would be why it is a current photo of my house.