Announcement: Maintenance follow-up

Notes to and from the paowers that be
admin
Site Admin

Announcement: Maintenance follow-up

Post by admin »

Greetings! One of the items that was on the maintenance agenda last night was an attempt to integrate the features on the homepage with the sign-on from the forum. Unfortunately, while it worked for some, it was causing problems for others. And some who were checking the "remember me" box when logging in to the forum, were not being remembered, and were having to log in each visit.

So, until I can do more research about how to bridge the logins, the "Members Only" access to the homepage will have to remain a separate login. You can get to that login by clicking on the menu item for "PAO Community" and logging in there. If you choose "remember me" at that time, you should be able to bounce back and forth between the forum and the homepage and not have to worry about logging in again - you just have to set it to remember you in both places.

Many thanks to those of you who let me know what was up. And thanks to everyone who has had some trouble today. Your patience is very appreciated.
Admin
#1 in the order of the PAO
Monica

Re: Announcement: Maintenance follow-up

Post by Monica »

Thanks for the update, Admin, and thanks for all you are doing to make PAO better and better! We appreciate your efforts!!
:happywave: :happywave: :happywave: :happywave:

Monica
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I am loving the changes - the HUGE chat space is great. I'm really looking forward to seeing tutorials posted - it'll be great to have them under one roof instead of having to try to remember the topic in the forum. Luanne? Christy? Both of you are terrific teachers and could fill that section up in no time! The calendar is another huge plus to the group and will be a great one stop reminder for us, so hostesses - please remember to put your swaps on there for those of us who are a little time challenged!

Admin! You rock! Thanks for the updates and changes. We can adapt (contrary to popular belief) to the idiosyncrasies until it's all worked out. This site just gets better and better.

Pam
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Pam! I appreciate you gals working with me and allowing for some growing pains. I think some people are still having some login issues on the forum - as well as "View New Posts", but I'm hoping that with some cache clearing and a few more days, that things will start to right themselves again.

I'm glad that the new features look like something that will be useful. I wish I could have integrated them straight into the forum, but I know now that it's just not possible (at least not without a significant amount of time spent in testing mode, which is fairly inconvenient).

Anyway, as far as the homepage goes, let me know if you think of any other "members only" features that you'd like to see. Even though a separate login is required, there is a ton of potential for that part of the PAO site.
Admin
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

Admin,

The bigger chat window is wonderful. Thanks for trying to tie it all together. It looks good and has the things we want, so I'm happy. :D
Holly

Post by Holly »

Everything is working fine for me, mucho thanko! Hugs!
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Thank you Admin.

Holly - lovin' your new sig tag there........

Cathy:)
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

I thought my little glitches were me
and my computer, I'm all better now, though.

Thanks agian for all of the effort you are putting into
making our stay comfortable.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
Lynn K

Post by Lynn K »

Thank Admin!!! You are the greatest!!!
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I just thought of something since I had to go looking for it. Would the members page be a good place to put RAK preferences? I've used it to try to tailor hostess gifts for swaps and it really is nice to know what to send that might be appreciated. I know that we decided to not put our addies on it because it was open to the public, but it would be great if everyone would list color preferences and "love to haves" for reference. And if it's not readily available to Joe Blow we could list addies.

Pam
Pam P.

n8tvtexan

Post by n8tvtexan »

Thanks again for all your hard work! The homepage looks awesome!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Pam - I've been doing a lot of pondering about what could be done (using the homepage area) that would be helpful to registered members. An address book was something that crossed my mind. But then I wondered about the issue of still making that stuff open to any registered member. Currently, no one is approving membership, so all someone would have to do to find a load of addresses would be to register...

Now, that said, I did install a "Guest Book" application that is on the main menu of the homepage. It's currently empty. But I could put something like that in the "Members Only" menu, where people could list their addresses and make a note about things they're constantly ISO. Obviously that would be a totally optional thing - we couldn't require swappers/hostesses to register their addresses there, but I could make something like that available as an option.

I also thought about setting up a birthday card club, which is when I started thinking about addresses. But I was thinking that the way that would make it easiest (for me anyway) would be to list the addresses for each month in the members only section, and they would always be available. But even restricting it to registered members might not be enough. So I left that idea alone for now. But if people think that registered access to addresses is sufficient for privacy, then I would be happy to set up something like that. Just let me know.
Admin
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

I would say it's a bad idea to put addresses and birthdays even in the members only sections. Just my 2 cents. My philosophy is not to put anything on the web I wouldn't want printed in a newspaper. I don't even tell when my birthday is. I just don't trust the bad guys for a second.

JMHO
Monica

Post by Monica »

I agree with Beth. If someone were to take charge of the member list and compile a list of members' addresses, birthdays, and/or anniversaries, then e-mail that list to those members, that would be one thing. However, I don't liek the idea of that information posted even in a members' only section. Call me paranoid girl, but that's my 2 cents' worth. :) Now if no one else wants to do a list, and people are interested in this, I would be happy to compile one for everyone. I know... I'm crazy... but insanity runs in the family... lolz!

Monica
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Beth - I know when your birthday is! ;)

Pam
Pam P.