adding my 2 cents to off topic stuff

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
pat-czap

adding my 2 cents to off topic stuff

Post by pat-czap »

Reading about all of the life issues that have been dealt to some of our PAO sisters and family, I am sincerely saddened to hear about all of this. You know who you are.
Please know that I am thinking of you and sending healing vibes and prayers to you.

It has been interesting here since just after Christmas. Greg had a knee replacement on 12/27. All went well. Looking forward to Greg retiring at the end of April. At the end of February 2023 we both were sick. Lung congestion, pneumonia for Greg. Well, it all persisted. Eventually I got better after antibiotics and time. Greg spent a couple days in the hospital for pneumonia. On April 4th, at a follow up visit and chest x ray, he was told to go to ER. Come to find out he had massive fluid build up around the lungs. Pulmonary docs wanted a surgeon to consult, but the thoracic surgeon was away for a few days. Local hospital wanted to pass Greg off to a larger hospital in Toledo or Columbus. Since Greg went through bone marrow transplant in 2017 at OSU in Columbus, and his DR is there, he opted to go there. It took 5 days to get a bed at OSU. Once there, the docs did what the local docs did not want to do, drain some fluid bedside, no surgeon involved. Well, they drained about 2 liters of fluid that day. G U S H, out it came. Sent some off to be tested. Come to find out the fluid contained Leukemia cells. He was diagnosed with AML later changed to Myeloid Sarcoma because the Leukemia was not found in blood nor bone marrow. Leave it to Greg to get a RARE Leukemia. He was started on a 7/21 chemo regiment that Greg says nearly killed him and he was ready to go. He was a sight. I was totally freaked out by it all. Columbus is 2 hours from our home, and I drove that MANY times in one day. Lots of trips back and forth. He spent 58 days in the hospital with about 3 total liters of fluid removed from chest. he was discharged on June 1st. He is in remission. He is on low oxygen now, but had much higher use during hospital stay. Docs were very concerned about all the oxygen needs. This past week he had another bone marrow biopsy and a Pet Scan. Waiting on results. Next week chest ultrasound and DR visits. Thankfully he has blood/lab work done locally. During the early part of hospital stay, he pulled his retirement papers and went on medical. Work/job is still on hold.

I have been dealing with Cataract and Glaucoma surgeries since February! My right eye done in Feb. has been a bugger, and causing extra issues. Just last week I was allowed to order new glasses. Got them yesterday, though not perfect, which we knew may happen. May have to be tweaked to have vision less blurry. Geez. I've been driving around with no glasses just fine, which in the past I could never do. Fine print was no print as far as the new eye situation went. Used readers to get by. If it isn't one thing, it's another.

Hoping you have a restful, peaceful 4th of July weekend.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
Monica

Re: adding my 2 cents to off topic stuff

Post by Monica »

Life seems to be hitting so many of us this year with massive issues to deal with! Hugs, prayers, and hopes for positive results for Greg and you! :happy94:
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I am so sorry that you and Greg are going through all of this after his last health issue. And this happening when you're struggling with vision issues?

Pat, you and Greg will be in my prayers. Stand strong and have faith. :happy94:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

WOW!
Sometimes God works in mysterious ways.
If he hadn't gotten pneumonia, which caused the
need for a follow up XRay, the fluid would not have
been found and tested and his rare Leukemia would not
have been treated. Hopefully, now after a 2 month hospital
stay and grueling treatment, he will regain his health and
strength and stay in remission.
Do you have a second eye surgeon that you can see for
a second opinion? When my MIL had cataract surgery done
her eye seemed to be worse than before the surgery and
they kept telling her it would get better, turns out the original
surgeon had missed removing a stitch or something, once they.
found it her eye became a lot better but it was months of not
getting it corrected.

Life seems to be hitting everyone really hard this year
so try to stay healthy all you still have all that paper to use up :)
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Thank you for your replies and concern, much appreciated. Yes, the series of events that led up to Greg's diagnosis was crazy, but got him to a good place of care. The OSU Wexner Medical Center / James Cancer Center is an extremely busy place, but so very thankful they are there.

As for my eyes, there are a trifecta of concerns...cataracts, glaucoma and early macular degeneration. Cataracts gone, glaucoma being treated and mac degen diagnosed about 12 years ago, is holding it's own.
I did have a concern and had to see another surgeon, who said my surgeon did a great job.

I have a few large floaters, and a new one broke free just before my current eye exam. The surgeon was consulted and let my eye doc know it was noted prior to cataract surgery, and not a Retina issue, whew. She was ready to send me to the Retinal office! This newest floater is settling down a bit, so I will go back in a week to see about changing eye glass lenses.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I’m so sorry to hear this update.
You and Greg are in my prayers.
Pam Cook #48
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

Oh my gosh, Pat. That is A LOT to deal with.
I have to agree with Elizabeth - that Greg getting pneumonia and needing that follow up appointment was a blessing in disguise.
I'm so sorry that you are having eye issues along with taking care of Greg. I hope a lens change helps.

I'll be praying for everyone that is going through tough times right now.
Sue in NC (formerly known as Sue in Colorado)
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Well, Greg is on day 8 of his 3rd hospitalization since April. Pulmonary issues remain as Leukemia cells are in pleural fluid. My how fast Greg went downhill and again, I am freaked out! and wonder about my guy. So hard to see him one week ago be alert, etc. to lying in bed sleeping away.

I hope all those in need of a hug today feel this hug from me :happy94: Life at OSU Wexner Medical Center rolls along.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

Oh, Pat, I'm so sorry to see your latest update.
Keeping you and Greg in my prayers.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Pat, I will be praying for you and Greg. :happy94:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

Pat, you and Greg are in my thoughts and prayers. :happy94:
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Praying for you and Greg right now.
Pam Cook #48
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Sad news. My husband Greg passed away this morning. Damn cancer. I had one of my sons with me, and just as soon as we entered his room his vital signs declined, and his death was fast. Yikes, never would I have thought he would pass in a week's time from admission.

I know I'm not the first to have a spouse die too early, but this just sucks!
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
Monica

Post by Monica »

Pat, my heart goes out to you and your family. I know there really aren't words I can offer that will help right now, but you're in my prayers. :happy94:
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

I'm so sorry, Pat.
Please know that I'm thinking of you and your family and that you are in my prayers.