I need to reorganize….

A great location for discussions about all things organizational. From supplies to creations - how do you keep your crafts organized?
Laurie

I need to reorganize….

Post by Laurie »

Now that I’m back scrapping I need to reorganize my supplies. I don’t have easy access. My room is small - probably 8x9 with a twin bed, computer desk in there and a closet. All of my paper is in the closet.

I would love to see pictures of your scrapping area.
Laurie Bennett #118 on POA
North Carolina
Laurie

Re: I need to reorganize….

Post by Laurie »

I’ve been on Pinterest this afternoon looking. Either won’t fit or out of my price range.
North Carolina
Monica

Post by Monica »

The problem I've found with looking on Pinterest or YouTube is that a lot of it seems just a little too perfect or too out of my price range. I can show you versions of my room, as I found pictures from 2012 and I can take pictures of now to show how I've changed it.

So... these are from 2012. My room would have been the family room if we had used it for that. It's a little bigger than the two bedrooms just past it, but not a lot.
Attachments
P1120843.JPG
P1120843.JPG (107.28 KiB) Viewed 308 times
P1120845.JPG
P1120845.JPG (101.7 KiB) Viewed 308 times
P1120846.JPG
P1120846.JPG (110.11 KiB) Viewed 308 times
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Monica

Post by Monica »

And a few more from 2012, to give you an idea of how much I've changed it since then.
Attachments
P1120844.JPG
P1120844.JPG (119.89 KiB) Viewed 308 times
P1120859.JPG
P1120859.JPG (105.94 KiB) Viewed 308 times
P1120862.JPG
P1120862.JPG (118.45 KiB) Viewed 308 times
Monica

Post by Monica »

So, that's what was.... and here's how it looks now!
Attachments
20220325_194913.jpg
20220325_194913.jpg (115.91 KiB) Viewed 307 times
20220325_195031.jpg
20220325_195031.jpg (76.44 KiB) Viewed 307 times
20220325_195041.jpg
20220325_195041.jpg (80.79 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Monica

Post by Monica »

And the rest... I currently share my space with a girlfriend who's living with us, so I didn't show her area. She customizes dolls for her Etsy shop, so her desk is a doll explosion right at the moment!
Attachments
20220325_202821.jpg
20220325_202821.jpg (72.67 KiB) Viewed 307 times
20220325_195108.jpg
20220325_195108.jpg (70.4 KiB) Viewed 307 times
20220325_195117.jpg
20220325_195117.jpg (63.54 KiB) Viewed 307 times
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

One of my bedrooms has two closets. The left one has a small IKEA Kallax. I store my punches, extra adhesives, tags, and paper pads in the cubbies. Above it are two shelves. I have my stamps, dies, embossing folders and such on those shelves. When I have long term guests, the shelves and some of the cubes are cleared out so they have closet space. In the other closet, I have a sewing machine cabinet with a piece of laminate counter on top for desk space. In that cabinet are my die cutting supplies, 6x6 paper pads, and other supplies.
Above the desk is a shelf holding 3 IKEA cubes and above that is a shelf where my sheets of patterned paper are stored. Above that is another shelf with my sewing supplies. Immediately outside the bedroom door is a bookcase and that’s where I keep collections in Iris boxes.

I should clear out my office and set up my crafting space in there. Anyone have a spare week they’d like to donate in exchange for patterned paper?
Pam Cook #48
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

pamcook wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:43 pm One of my bedrooms has two closets. The left one has a small IKEA Kallax. I store my punches, extra adhesives, tags, and paper pads in the cubbies. Above it are two shelves. I have my stamps, dies, embossing folders and such on those shelves. When I have long term guests, the shelves and some of the cubes are cleared out so they have closet space. In the other closet, I have a sewing machine cabinet with a piece of laminate counter on top for desk space. In that cabinet are my die cutting supplies, 6x6 paper pads, and other supplies.
Above the desk is a shelf holding 3 IKEA cubes and above that is a shelf where my sheets of patterned paper are stored. Above that is another shelf with my sewing supplies. Immediately outside the bedroom door is a bookcase and that’s where I keep collections in Iris boxes.

I should clear out my office and set up my crafting space in there. Anyone have a spare week they’d like to donate in exchange for patterned paper?

LOL! I think if I can see it I would use it. And because I haven’t scrapped in so long I really don’t know what I have anymore.
North Carolina
BekiWard@msn.com

Post by BekiWard@msn.com »

My room is in various stages or reorganization…constantly. Currently, I’m striving to get rid of a LOT, to have more room to create as well as being able to find things quicker. There’s too much that I’ve held on to for so many years, which is just ridiculous since I haven’t used it in all this time and will likely never use it again. :roll:

For now, here’s how I reorganized my massive hoard of [mostly] Club Scrap 12” x 12” papers. Previously, I kept it sorted by kit & never used it; changing to having it sorted by color has allowed me to use it so much more. One side is solid colors, the other is patterned cardstock.
Attachments
1BD1A720-554D-42B9-AF36-0B5B90FB62A4.jpeg
1BD1A720-554D-42B9-AF36-0B5B90FB62A4.jpeg (110.12 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Beki Ward
Clarksville VA
BekiWard@gmail.com
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

My solid paper is sorted that way. How do you sort your pattern paper?
North Carolina
BekiWard@msn.com

Post by BekiWard@msn.com »

I’m still working on getting all that organized. But, I have some sorted by theme (music, dogs, patriotic, etc) in these 1/2” wide “magazine holders”…I’m not sure what they’re called! Patterned paper pads are in the metal rack, not organized in any real way yet; I have another to get home & stack on top of this one.
Attachments
01425429-4C3A-4C42-92AF-8AE52160A64F.jpeg
01425429-4C3A-4C42-92AF-8AE52160A64F.jpeg (117.75 KiB) Viewed 286 times
92DFCD36-F347-4D78-B1F6-24B3B51B96AE.jpeg
92DFCD36-F347-4D78-B1F6-24B3B51B96AE.jpeg (141.09 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Beki Ward
Clarksville VA
BekiWard@gmail.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Organizing and reorganizing is a popular subject here. Storage for specific products aside there are a few general things to consider. Firstly, decide if you prefer things out in the open or tucked out of sight. You might settle on a combination of the two if you like to see your products, but think having everything out would be too chaotic. If you're not sure, look at photos of scrapbook rooms online and see which ones you gravitate towards, then consider how the products in them are stored. Do you care if it's aesthetically pretty, or do you just want it organized?
Consider the types of containers you prefer. They can be clear so you see things, or solid so you don't. They can be closed, i.e. a drawer or a box with a lid, or an open container for easy access. My preference is open containers I can't see in, like a basket on a shelf. Easy to get in and out of, but minimizes the visual clutter. In reality I use a mix, depending on the items stored.
Group products together based on how you think/scrap. Paper can either be laying down (in a tray or drawer), or standing up (in a paper holder or file folder). If you scrap by colour, i.e. you think "I want a red paper" sort your papers by colour. Personally I mostly sort by theme; others sort by manufacturer. Often a combination of those will suit you best, i.e. sort mostly by colour, except all Christmas is together, and all Club Scrap is together. Same for embellishments; sort by theme or manufacturer or type or colour.
Laurie if you haven't already, you might want to read through all the posts on this Organization board; I just had a look and most of them are still quite relevant. Basically my system is patterned paper stored upright in file carts by theme, cardstock in colour order upright in a box, and embellishments in Iris cart drawers by theme. Alphas/label stickers are sorted in rainbow order in a box for large sets, divided by colour groups in an accordion folder for small letters. I have a 'journaling box' for journaling spots, printed tags, labels, word stickers, and a divided box for PL cards. Washi in a drawer, ink pads on a tiered shelf, fibres and ribbons in boxes, all sorted by colour groups. Sticker sheets in a paper holder sorted by theme, enamel dots, sequins and puffy stickers each in their own containers. I have a bin for unfinished projects and keep each one in a large zip-loc baggie.
It's a constantly evolving process as we add/subtract from our stash, and make room for new things. Don't be afraid to try one method, and if you find it doesn't work for you, try something else. If you're stumped for storage of a particular item ask here and you'll likely get several different answers to consider.
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

Thank you all for the advice. I just need to get in there and see what I have and clean it! I can do this. Will post before and after pictures.
North Carolina
Monica

Post by Monica »

I'm with Keitha on the baskets, which you can tell from my photos. I originally thought the fabric cubes was great, but baskets are so much better for me. They're due a reorg and purge now that I'm looking at them, but that's an annual project. I also upscaled from the 11"cube storage to the 13" a couple years back, because it would hold my paper storage and albums.

For me I like to have things labeled (I bought a label maker for this reason) if they are hidden in drawers or for papers to ID paper lines or themes. I find that a basket or paper holder I can take to the desk to look through helps me rediscover treasures I'd forgotten and actually use them. I'm still working on the ideal solution for my paints, mainly because I had gotten rid of my cheap acrylics a few years back then did a class where I got 2 of the Sizzix paints and fell in love with them... so that one's a work in progress!

My desk perimeter is very cluttered... to me and others... but every time I move things off I end up bringing them back, so I've resigned myself to knowing that all the things I reach for on a regular basis are right there within easy reach.

Try looking around your house and see how you store things in the kitchen or bathroom, it may spark some ideas as well. And word of caution from someone who had to repair holes in the wall... those shelves I used to have up with the paper holders on them were too heavy even screwed into studs. It took a few years, but one night they all came down in a massive disaster!
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I’m like Keitha - open top containers that aren’t see through. That makes me a Ladybug if you follow the Clutterbug lady on YouTube.
I’m glad this topic has resurfaced. I’m moving most of my supplies out of the guest bedroom and into an unused office space. Got quite a bit done today. Moved my must-have supplies first. Debbie B is going to do the rest in May. :cool5:
Okay, not really but no reason to rush the rest. Still purging ruthlessly.
I store my papers in various ways. I have a fabric cube of paper pads. Others are stored on a shelf in rainbow color order. I have Iris bins for Birthday, Valentine’s Day, Autumn, VB, Maggie Holmes, Boy, Shimelle, and Christmas. Those are collections I have entirely too much of and can’t stop buying. Except Valentine’s Day. That stash is very slowly dwindling.
Pam Cook #48