Scraps, I have a question

A great location for discussions about all things organizational. From supplies to creations - how do you keep your crafts organized?
Trixie

Scraps, I have a question

Post by Trixie »

I moved my craft room from a large room to a smaller one, so I am working on purging and organizing. I am pretty pleased with how things look and it has made me want to actually scrapbook again instead of just making the random birthday card. I spent 2 days on paper and even though I threw away 2 garbage bags of paper I have enough to last the rest of my life. I have a stack of scraps for each color. Today I was trying to decide how to store them and was surfing the web for something I could use. Then I started to wonder why I was thinking about spending $30+ to store the scraps when I could just go get a piece of paper from my stash. Has anyone ever pitched all their scraps? I am really thinking of keeping the whites and blacks, but throwing the rest out.

I do think I have a problem. Today I threw away my roller stamps, 10,000 brads, and a Creative Memories tool that you used to cut your picture into a circle. :roll:

Judy
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
Keitha

Re: Scraps, I have a question

Post by Keitha »

unless it was a specific paper I absolutely loved and wanted to use every last inch of, I'd probably toss them for the reasons you stated. Plus, if your space is smaller why devote real estate to scraps you don't need?
Sounds like you're making good progress setting up your new space. Feel free to show us pictures.
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

I threw away pizza boxes full of scraps because I
never remembered to use them, I cut the larger pieces
into a photo mat size and I keep them sorted by color
family in photo boxes from Michael's, bought on sale
for $1 or $2
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I keep a basket of scraps close by and I do use them. Over the past couple of days I’ve used all my greens, oranges, and yellows die cutting leaves and ferns. As I make page kits, I’ll use more. I’ll take the rest to the beach and then dump what’s left. I’m terrible about keeping too small scraps and they just pile up.
I’m so happy you’re crafting more! I want to see your pages!
Pam Cook #48
Monica

Post by Monica »

I had a basket of scraps for years that I never used, just added to. And I tossed it last year and haven't missed it at all. I do have two containers of papers for diecutting... the metallic Tim Holtz 8x8s, some metallic and glittered 6x6, and some Sizzix pads that were designed to use with long border dies or 4x6 in size... but those aren't scraps, they are specifically for diecutting and stay right by my machine.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Before the big purge of craft stuff last year, I had 12 x 12, 8.5 x 11 and scraps of each color in their own drawer in a 12 drawer chest. Now the same system works in a pizza box. Yes, they are old pizza boxes from my Club Scrap kits. You can see them on the bottom shelf in my Craft Room post with a strip of the color on the edge. It keeps it all simple!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

I am going to pitch them. Some are from POPS from CS! I have used them, but not at the same rate as I collected them. Thanks!
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I have my scraps divided into color groups and placed into zip lock bags for each color. I'm actually moving through them at a good pace since I did that. If I need enough to mat a photo or cut an embellishment, I have them. They really come in handy when making cards, too. And no, I don't keep every little scrap. They have to actually be a usable size or they hit the trash can.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

My POPs from Club Scrap are actually color striped in two plastic shoebox containers, and are my go-to for photo mattes, but the scraps were tossed.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I had used pretty much all of those dratted POPs that I was going to, so I sent them to a friend to use for her card making groups. I think I'm going to follow Pam C's example and die cut a lot of leaves and ferns because I'm getting a large build up of greens.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

I decided to pitch them all, but when it came down to it I couldn't do it. I did throw away a whole garbage bag and only kept a shoebox. Mostly white, black, and shimmer papers from CS. They do have the nicest paper.
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

It’s always okay to keep a stash of scraps! CS did have great quality papers.
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Was thinking about this thread as I cleared my table after the page I made yesterday, curious to see what I actually do with scraps myself. I do have a spot for them but don't accumulate a lot - which is fine as I rarely reach for them, other than white cardstock scraps. Turns out that any useable sized piece of paper usually goes back in the file cart where it came from, especially if it's from a collection I have more papers for, or if I can think of a specific reason I'd want a particular (themed) paper again. Deciding what is a scrap is certainly a subjective thing, and it was interesting to examine my take on it.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I do keep most of my scraps if they're at least large enough to mat a photo. Or, if they're a full 12" long but maybe only an inch wide. I have them sorted by approximate color groups as well. I hate having to cut into a full sheet of paper when all want to do is do a little die cut or use a punch, or I need that one odd 12" strip for a Scrapbook Generation sketch.

That said, I am getting better about tossing more, rather than filing them in their color pouch/folder. It's also nice to have a place to point kids at when they need a scrap for something or other. I can just point and say "anything from that bin over there is fair game". They also have carte blanche with the POPs which are not in the folders with the rest of the color scraps because there are simply too many. But I don't want to toss them because so many of them have those great textures. So I won't toss them, but I don't hoard them anymore either.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

I keep most of mine too
The small ones are in a bag for use with punches
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois