Calvinball 2021

pamcook

Calvinball 2021

Post by pamcook »

Anyone else going to join in the craziness?
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Re: Calvinball 2021

Post by Keitha »

Nope. I wish I were one of those people who were motivated by this, but it all just feels like too much pressure. I'll root for you, though!
Monica

Post by Monica »

What Keitha said.... ;)
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

no way
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Pam, although I'm not participating - I prefer to stay focused on what I need to scrap, and the resulting paltry few points I'd accumulate from those pages aren't worth it - I am registered and thus get the rules every day. Had to laugh at the addition of Kangaroo for a point; could that be your suggestion, perhaps? Despite the full embellishment drawers, I daresay there's not a single kangaroo here in the Glitter Grotto.
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Explain Calvinball, please.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

It's an annual month-long free challenge hosted at Alice Boll's ScrapHappy group. The origins have something to do with the cartoon Calvin & Hobbes - and something about making up/changing the rules, thus the name. For bragging rights only, you earn points in various categories including making things, specific things to include on your project (i.e. a star, something green), sharing and commenting on social media, attending crops, etc. Rules change daily; new things are added and some things might be taken away. Even non-paper crafts count, as you can count points for time spent on other things like embroidery. Points are stackable, i.e. a star = 1 pt, green = 1 pt, therefore a green star = 2 pts. Except when they're not - did I mention the rules are always changing? Yep, daily. Participants can suggest challenge items, which may or may not be added. It moves fast (those daily changes); points are only valid if still in effect when you create. It's crazy good fun, especially for the gals who load up their pages with absolutely everything they can think of to earn extra points.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Keitha wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:23 am Pam, although I'm not participating - I prefer to stay focused on what I need to scrap, and the resulting paltry few points I'd accumulate from those pages aren't worth it - I am registered and thus get the rules every day. Had to laugh at the addition of Kangaroo for a point; could that be your suggestion, perhaps? Despite the full embellishment drawers, I daresay there's not a single kangaroo here in the Glitter Grotto.
Not my suggestion but it reminded me that I had an incomplete page from 2014. I pulled out that page, added the 'roos, two other stickers, and a koala. Now it's finished!
Pam Cook #48
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Keitha wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:32 pm It's an annual month-long free challenge hosted at Alice Boll's ScrapHappy group. The origins have something to do with the cartoon Calvin & Hobbes - and something about making up/changing the rules, thus the name. For bragging rights only, you earn points in various categories including making things, specific things to include on your project (i.e. a star, something green), sharing and commenting on social media, attending crops, etc. Rules change daily; new things are added and some things might be taken away. Even non-paper crafts count, as you can count points for time spent on other things like embroidery. Points are stackable, i.e. a star = 1 pt, green = 1 pt, therefore a green star = 2 pts. Except when they're not - did I mention the rules are always changing? Yep, daily. Participants can suggest challenge items, which may or may not be added. It moves fast (those daily changes); points are only valid if still in effect when you create. It's crazy good fun, especially for the gals who load up their pages with absolutely everything they can think of to earn extra points.
And those who don't even try to understand and end up with 20+ points per page. Of course, the points don't count...
Pam Cook #48
Monica

Post by Monica »

The original definition:

Calvinball is a game invented by Calvin and Hobbes. Calvinball has no rules; the players make up their own rules as they go along, so that no Calvinball game is like another.

Rules cannot be used twice (except for the rule that rules cannot be used twice), and any plays made in one game may not be made again in any future games. The game may involve wickets, mallets, volleyballs, and additional sports-related equipment.

There are only two permanent rule in Calvinball: players cannot play it the same way twice, and that everybody has to wear masks. For example, in one game of Calvinball, the goal was to capture the opponent's flag, whereas in a different game of Calvinball, the goal was to score points by hitting badminton shuttlecocks against trees using a croquet mallet.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Thanks for the explanations, but whew, that is something.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

It's as much fun as you want it to be. For some people, it's the one big event every year. If you join in, do as much or as little as you want.
Pam Cook #48