Quick project

Notes to and from the paowers that be
pamcook

Quick project

Post by pamcook »

The goal was to reduce these partial embellishment packs by 25% - trash or punches (hearts, stars, labels, or leaves). I did throw away quite a bit. I punched a few. The bits that I feel like I really will use are divided into color groups. I keep an envelope (each) of random flowers, hearts, leaves, stars, and cameras. Some went into those envelopes.
A14B7012-D2A5-433D-A18C-0BF0D6D41F49.jpeg
A14B7012-D2A5-433D-A18C-0BF0D6D41F49.jpeg (121.96 KiB) Viewed 381 times
And then after. I got rid of about a third!
E370853E-58EA-4739-ADC7-FD42CD47F850.jpeg
E370853E-58EA-4739-ADC7-FD42CD47F850.jpeg (130.57 KiB) Viewed 381 times
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Re: Quick project

Post by Keitha »

I love delving into others' organizational methods. I've often wondered how much time I'd save if I immediately got rid of all the diecuts in a pack that I know I'd never use. How quick was quick, i.e. how long did this take you? Give yourself an 'atta girl' for getting it done.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I spent less than an hour on it. Most of those packs had been sitting there for more than two years. I trashed the odd colors. The odd shapes (sofas, really?) had hearts and stars punched from them. Those odd green colored pieces had leaves punched from them. I didn’t punch as many shapes as I thought I would.
I found my stack of partially used chipboard stickers. I need to throw out those shapes I’ll never use. Years ago Shimelle said she uses the 70% rule - if she’s sure she’ll use 70% of a pack (or sheet or collection) then she feels it’s a good value. I look at a sheet and if there’s more than one icon I don’t like, it’s hard for me to buy it! My eye goes straight to that odd piece - like a pink sofa! I think I’ll pull out those chipboard stickers tonight.
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Nice job! I have so many embellishments that I will probably never ever use in reality. Like, every leftover bit of unused Club Scrap embellishments. I always did ALSB by the book, and rarely used the leftovers, but I still have every last bit of them. Then the next thing I could go after are ribbons/fibers/trim. I have sooooo much of that stuff that I love to look at, but it will probably never make its way onto an actual project.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

pamcook wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:58 pm I spent less than an hour on it. Most of those packs had been sitting there for more than two years. I trashed the odd colors. The odd shapes (sofas, really?) had hearts and stars punched from them. Those odd green colored pieces had leaves punched from them. I didn’t punch as many shapes as I thought I would.
I found my stack of partially used chipboard stickers. I need to throw out those shapes I’ll never use. Years ago Shimelle said she uses the 70% rule - if she’s sure she’ll use 70% of a pack (or sheet or collection) then she feels it’s a good value. I look at a sheet and if there’s more than one icon I don’t like, it’s hard for me to buy it! My eye goes straight to that odd piece - like a pink sofa! I think I’ll pull out those chipboard stickers tonight.
Pam, your eye may go straight to the odd piece but I have the opposite problem - my eye goes to the one piece I know I will use. Then I want it, and have a hard time passing it up. The 70% rule is a good one. How will you organize the chipboard stickers you are keeping? I tend to leave stickers on the original sheets unless I'm down to just one or two that get cut out.
Debbie AZ

Post by Debbie AZ »

Is that your crazy bucket?
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

That is my crazy bucket! I can’t bear the thought of it all being jumbled together though. When I went to crops decades ago, it was important to be to keep themes together. Then I started feeling like I had to keep collections together. Now I’m at a point where I keep collections together only as long as it makes sense. When there’s just bits left, they’ll go in that plastic container.

Keitha I went through those chipboard stickers rather quickly. The remaining pieces are still on the backing. My plan is to use them up in the next few months. I have quite a few of the 6x12 (12x12 when you open them) sticker sheets and I know some of them have images I don’t like at all. Maybe this week I can work on those.

It’s a good exercise to remind you of what you have.
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Once I get all the paper back in my craft room (If I can even do that... too much paper... not enough space) then I'll start on the embellishments. What I'm not going to use (like a pink sofa :)), I'll put in my donation container and give to the local church's kids group. If they don't want them, I'll put them in a box for the thrift shop, I guess. Not sure when they'll open again, but Mike can put the box in the building.
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

There's a woman I follow on youtube who talks about "containers". She says that we need to think of space as "containers". Since none of us have unlimited space for anything, it helps us to determine how much is enough. The concept has helped me tremendously. Right now, my paper container is crammed full. I need to use quite a bit before I can buy more. However, my BOBW container gets used (mostly) each month so I do allow myself to replenish it. Over the next few months I hope to replenish it from my stash as much as possible. Win-win.

My embellishment basket was jam packed. Right now I don't feel the need to buy any more. Sorting through it yesterday reminded me how much I still have and it's all stuff I still love.

Debi - I've used several un-loved papers in my Silhouette - mostly using the white "B' side. I've cut some using the printed side but not very often. I need to look at my "odd" colors of papers to see if using them for cut files makes them more appealing to me.
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

I haven't cut many printed papers as cut files... I know... it's crazy... I just don't think about it.. but I'm sure having a tiny bit of color showing on the cut file would spice it up quite a bit.. so.. as soon as that table is cleared off again, I'll be getting to work cutting things!

I've got plenty of plain color (or white) cardstock to use, too... having supplies in 3 different places in the house for the past few years has been very bad on my buying process. I didn't know where things were... they were hidden from Chevie and, thus, from me... and it was easier to order more when I saw it on sale. Now it's getting collected into one location... oh dearie me!! LOL
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Oh yes - having everything in one space sure does make a statement. This all started with getting my enamel dots organized... what a wonderfully slippery slope this has become. Today I've been popping the enamel centers off of those (stupid) wooden button embellishments. Very rewarding project! I stick those centers on a page with the appropriate colored enamel dots and throw away the wooden buttons. I'm proud to say I've never bought any of them - sadly, they all came in kits.
Pam Cook #48