Foiling Frenzy! Anyone Else?

paddlegal

Foiling Frenzy! Anyone Else?

Post by paddlegal »

I’ve caught the foiling bug big time. I took a class a number of years ago on non-laminated foiling techniques. It was fun but I realized how inconsistent the results could be. Bleh, forget about it. But of course I bought several rolls of the stuff.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago watching Catherine Pooler going berserk as she learns to foil with a laminator. The results were pretty much consistent and gorgeous. Fast forward to now..l now own a Heidi Swapp Mini Minc foiling machine. LOVE it! I’ve messed up a number of foils learning it but all-in-all it’s pretty simple. Taking the machine out of the box and bam, right off the bat being able to foil something is wonderful.

I do not own a laser printer which would be handy but no more room for “tools” in my craft lab. But no need. Catherine Pooler (and other companies) has two black and white printed patterned card stock pads and they are foilable with a laminator or Minc. How cool is that? It’s just one of the many ways to use foils. So as I go along making mistakes, learning techniques and having some successes I’ll post them here month by month.

I would love for you all to join in with your ideas, booboos, different techniques and successes (with or without a laminator) right here.

Sample #1. The butterfly is a two stamp layered process. This was my third shot at using Bonding Powder and clear embossing ink. First two were disasters, LOL. I stamped the butterfly base in CP ink. Let it dry, dusted it with anti-static powder then stamped the detail stamp with embossing ink. Pressed the foil with my fingers onto the butterfly. Bingo it worked! Non laminated too! But again, this method has inconsistencies. The “THANKS” is a die cut made from using black toner paper and foiling it with the magenta foil. That too is a very easy process. More on that technique later on.

Sample #2. Easy way. The copper diamond background inside the circles is actually CP black and white patterned card stock. I just layered the card stock with copper foil and ran it through the Minc. Wow, it’s gorgeous and was so easy.

One great advantage of the Minc over a laminator is that it heats up in 30 seconds and has 5 heat settings. (Not trying to enable here, just saying...)
Attachments
69E469D3-C1FB-4363-A9E9-0C39E1B8033E.jpeg
69E469D3-C1FB-4363-A9E9-0C39E1B8033E.jpeg (87.38 KiB) Viewed 351 times
5E6BD892-81C8-45C7-B947-9BB7B52788FB.jpeg
5E6BD892-81C8-45C7-B947-9BB7B52788FB.jpeg (97.59 KiB) Viewed 351 times
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Re: Foiling Frenzy! Anyone Else?

Post by pamcook »

Nope - not me. That's a technique I'm going to enjoy by watching others and seeing their gorgeous projects.

I made the mistake of commenting on a facebook thread about trying the foil with a laminator( "IF you have one, you might give it a try to see if it works before buying the Minc...") The host told me those comments weren't welcome (in a not so nice way). Apparently it still stings or I would have forgotten all about it. :lol: Yes, I promptly left her group.

But, I digress...the shininess is very appealing. Do you follow Heidi on IG? She made some adorable gift tags this month with her machine.
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

That’s awful Pam! Definitely not a group I want to be in. So far I’m just following NancyStamps on YouTube. Hope that wasn’t her. She seems to be open to everything and also HAS everything. Long videos but educational. Most people start with laminators, like them and stay with them. I’m just being obsessive as usual, LOL.

There are so many videos on foiling that I don’t feel the need to join anything.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

no - not her. As far as I know, the group I'm thinking of is defunct now.
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Gorgeous samples Farley. I'm glad you're giving explanations, because I wondered about the foiled Happy New Year card in your other post. I, too, own several rolls of foil, and have been meaning to try it with my laminator. Which I intentionally left out when I brought my office kit home and packed it away in the fall.
The Catherine Pooler printed cardstock is an intriguing concept. I've been wondering if you can foil any black and white cardstock, assuming the black is printed on the white. I'm sure I've read in the past with using toner copies that there's no need to foil them immediately; guess it just depends on what the process is for printing other B&W cardstock.
I expect though, that any experiments of mine in the near future will involve the Deco Foil transfer medium which I did acquire a jar of. You're right about there being lots of videos - I've already got a couple bookmarked to look at again.
What a perfect technique for New Year's!
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Keitha wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:20 pm Gorgeous samples Farley. I'm glad you're giving explanations, because I wondered about the foiled Happy New Year card in your other post. I, too, own several rolls of foil, and have been meaning to try it with my laminator. Which I intentionally left out when I brought my office kit home and packed it away in the fall.
The Catherine Pooler printed cardstock is an intriguing concept. I've been wondering if you can foil any black and white cardstock, assuming the black is printed on the white. I'm sure I've read in the past with using toner copies that there's no need to foil them immediately; guess it just depends on what the process is for printing other B&W cardstock.
I expect though, that any experiments of mine in the near future will involve the Deco Foil transfer medium which I did acquire a jar of. You're right about there being lots of videos - I've already got a couple bookmarked to look at again.
What a perfect technique for New Year's!

Keitha I hope you have some time to play around with your laminator. Using the Deco Transfer Gel works great with stencils and foil. Somewhere I’ve got an example of that. I’ll dig it up. Seriously laminators work great and are far less expensive. I’ve been a tad self indulgent of late. :D But the Mini Minc is a nice size and fits just right on my Tim Glass media matte when I’m using it.

I just read that Greater Sacramento Area will have to continue with Stay-At-Home order for a few more weeks. We flunked the 3 week order which is no surprise during holidays. So more time to learn about foiling and other techniques I want to pursue.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Monica

Post by Monica »

I stopped at Joann's today and found that all their Minc stuff was on clearance. Didn't buy any, as I have the deco foil transfer gel and some foils that I still have yet to use anyway, but I wanted to pass it along in case Farley or anyone else wanted to check it out online.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
4nancie

Post by 4nancie »

I love the look of the foil.
I've been thinking about getting the Gel but haven't yet!
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Beautiful Farley but probably not something that I will try.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

I bought some of the gel ages ago and never opened it yet. Now it's in a rack so I won't forget about it. Along with some other media supplies.
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com