Fun Challenge #5 - favorite ornament or holiday decoration

For anyone wishing to post a cyber-crop, here's the place.
Monica

Fun Challenge #5 - favorite ornament or holiday decoration

Post by Monica »

We all have something that just warms are hear when it comes out for the holidays. Or in my case, a whole lot of somethings! Most of my favorites are ornaments, but I do have some decor items that mean a lot to me because of who gave it to me. So don't be shy, share one or more of your favorites here and the why it's so special.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
mpizzazz

Re: Fun Challenge #4 - favorite ornament or holiday decoration

Post by mpizzazz »

Ok, you've twisted my arm, Monica! I've been debating getting these out as our only decoration. I hand carried my most precious ornaments with me on the trip to OZ, afraid customs would seize them since they are egg shells. I made these in 1st and 2nd grade so that makes them about 65 years old. My Mom hated blowing out those eggs! These are all that have lasted and the one on top actually broke on this trip. On some of them the glitter is about 1/8" thick from being reglittered over the years.
Attachments
P1230882b.JPG
P1230882b.JPG (64.04 KiB) Viewed 323 times
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

WOW Marianne. Those eggs are special, and have quite the story. Precious cargo for sure.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

They’re beautiful! You were very wise to hand carry them.
Pam Cook #48
Monica

Post by Monica »

Marianne, what a wonderful treasure to have! And I'm so glad that customs didn't take them from you. :happy94:
Monica

Post by Monica »

These two ornaments are special to me for different reasons.

The metal angel was a gift to mark my first Christmas at 6 months old, and I've hung it on the tree every year since I've been old enough to be trusted to do so. It's traveled with me to everyplace I've ever lived, state to state, and she still shines brightly on the tree. (Although I do need to polish her again!)

The second one has a glass blown owl inside, which you can't see well in the photo. My maternal grandmother loved owls. She had them all over the house, from salt and pepper shakers (I have one of the sets) to photos and music boxes and seeing them in real life. Sadly, she passed away several years ago, but I found this ornament a couple years after she passed away and it reminded me so much of her that I hang it up in memory every year.
Attachments
20191203_200307.jpg
20191203_200307.jpg (135.83 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Monica

Post by Monica »

This funny little bird is special to me because I handmade him in 6th grade, and I've done some repair stitching since then to keep him perky and up on the tree. We were living in Anchorage, Alaska when I was in 6th grade, and the teachers of the 6th grade classrooms (there were 5 of them) decided to do an ornament make and take, rotating each class around every afternoon for a week. I want to say it was the last week of school that year when we did this. One hour every afternoon we made ornaments, and this little guy is the only one to have survived. I don't remember now what we made with 3 of the teachers. The other one we made what I call salted dough ornaments, and I used to have an Eskimo I made. He was so heavy though, and broke when I was a teenager. My little felt birdie was the only one who survived moves and packing. That year was a special one with family and friends, the last one we spent at the house we were in then, and he reminds me of the innocence of that time, the happiness and joy, and the love of family and friends.
Attachments
20191208_183602.jpg
20191208_183602.jpg (89.35 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Monica

Post by Monica »

This beauty is my treetopper. She's an Avon angel from around 1984, and was a gift from my folks' best friends to me for Christmas, because I started avidly collecting dolls about a year prior to that. Her wings aren't perfect anymore, and her paint could probably use a little touch-up, but she will always be the topper for my tree to remind me of Greg and Lyd, who are pretty much a second set of parents to me, and how special it was that they gave me a gift I can enjoy year after year.
Attachments
20191202_205029.jpg
20191202_205029.jpg (62.1 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Monica

Post by Monica »

And my last one for now, although honestly so many of my Christmas decorations are memories of one sort or another!

That same grandma who collected owls also collected music boxes, and had a large collection throughout her house. When she passed away I was given this reindeer from her collection (along with some other things). He's stored in his original box until pulled out for display every year, and I can almost feel my grandma's hand resting on my shoulder when I wind him for the first time and set him on a shelf.
Attachments
20191208_183514.jpg
20191208_183514.jpg (136.36 KiB) Viewed 307 times
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Marianne and Monica, I’ve gone all tearful reading about your ornaments, it’s sentiments and special memories they hold for you both. How precious.

Tissues in hand here are just a few of mine. I have so many ornaments and most of them have a special memory or meaning. Here are three:

First is the Santa like figure with his Doves. This was my mom’s and even way before I was a birder I loved this ornament. It was a favorite of my mom’s also. You can also see a frame with Charley and Leigh Ann hiding underneath it.

Second is our family kayak ornaments. I got the three of us kayaking in 2006 after a field trip with Charley’s 6th grade class to the CSUS Aquatic Center. That one day did it for me and Bob and Charley were all in too. We shared many days on lakes, SF Bay, Pacific Ocean and the wild white water rapids of the American River. Charley was the champion of rolling.

Third is our very first ornament the year Bob and I met and got engaged. Bob’s closest friend and his wife gave it to us. There was something wonderful about this ornament that told me I was making the best decision of my life. I was right!
Attachments
A1FA5588-61B9-4521-8ADA-ACD84C7BDE50.jpeg
A1FA5588-61B9-4521-8ADA-ACD84C7BDE50.jpeg (222.76 KiB) Viewed 303 times
9AC6ABFB-0ABB-4E22-A3D6-FAC0BFFC1177.jpeg
9AC6ABFB-0ABB-4E22-A3D6-FAC0BFFC1177.jpeg (249.12 KiB) Viewed 303 times
EDC76A70-21AB-4E34-B9CE-5C4A7580269E.jpeg
EDC76A70-21AB-4E34-B9CE-5C4A7580269E.jpeg (182.46 KiB) Viewed 303 times
FARLEY in Sacramento
Monica

Post by Monica »

Farley, I love the stories behind your ornaments! Such precious memories for you.

I loved doing a December Daily last year, but decided not to do a traditional one this year. Instead, I'm documenting ornaments and why they are special, because I don't want to forget the reason my tree is so full of an eclectic assortment that I add to each year. This year I added The Child (aka baby Yoda) from Mandalorian, a Game of Life one because Dave and I have enjoyed playing that so many times over the years, a Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman because she was my first female role model from TV and I loved watching the show, and an anniversary edition sculpt of the Nautilus from 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea because I was fascinated as a kid by Captain Nemo and his ship, and watched that Disney movie dozens of times! I'm still waiting for an ornament for The Black Hole... lol. The last one I added actually goes with my Disney Precious Moments... it's Moana. She was this year's Hallmark Disney Precious Moments special release.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Monica and Farley - thank you for sharing this memories. Monica - I love the idea of making a journal. I think most of my ornaments are vacation souvenirs. Tomorrow I’ll look over my tree and choose a few to share.
Pam Cook #48
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

That's a great idea, Monica, you'll enjoy having it in years to come. Several years ago, I started a little 6 x 6" album about the special ornaments. Many of them were old and shabby and wouldn't last for much longer so I took photos over a few years to add to the book with the story of each. I'm glad I have it now that we probably won't have a big tree anymore.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
wannabescrappin

Post by wannabescrappin »

What a great challenge - Kurt and I will decorate our tree this week and I'm hoping to share my special ornaments with you all! When we were kids, we never saw the Christmas tree until Christmas morning - I'm still amazed all of these years later, how my parents managed that feat!
Find time each day to rejoice in the journey...

Cheryl H (aka wannabescrappin)
#61 in the order of PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

At the moment she’s a favorite. Splurge purchase at the mall. She makes me smile.
C6FC8EEF-DFA0-4972-A8C9-322694BBB3EE.jpeg
C6FC8EEF-DFA0-4972-A8C9-322694BBB3EE.jpeg (86.72 KiB) Viewed 270 times
Pam Cook #48