June Neglected Supplies Challenge - Embossing Folders

paddlegal

June Neglected Supplies Challenge - Embossing Folders

Post by paddlegal »

I am ashamed at how many embossing folders I have and many have never seen paper. I had to think about why that is when I have so many folders with beautiful and fun designs. I do know why...I’m a stamper and you can’t stamp with a folder...or can you?

I’ve tried many techniques over the years and frankly adding ink to them never satisfied me. So yesterday for this challenge I tried something new (at least to me) with two folders to start with. I ran the folders through my Gemini Jr using heavy Bristol card stock. Then I swiped the tops of the designs with WOW embossing ink pad (Versamark is great also). Next I dumped WOW Seth Apter embossing powders over the embossed image. I am really pleased with the results. Finally I brushed and blended ink into the background and then gently wiped off ink from the embossed image. Any kind of embossing powders can work as well as colored card stock, not just white. Use your imagination and get messy trying different techniques with your folders not just this one. Just use them!

I think this technique can be used for scrapping backgrounds too. I’ll be turning these into cards and will post them but I wanted to be on time with this June Challenge and get you started on digging up those neglected folders.
Attachments
170BB48A-E302-4FCD-987F-89EF3CEA5170.jpeg
170BB48A-E302-4FCD-987F-89EF3CEA5170.jpeg (212.3 KiB) Viewed 469 times
82150FAA-1089-4754-B38B-8279FF4240BC.jpeg
82150FAA-1089-4754-B38B-8279FF4240BC.jpeg (178.15 KiB) Viewed 469 times
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Re: June Neglected Supplies Challenge - Embossing Folders

Post by pamcook »

Oh boy. At least I know where my stash is hidden away.
Great samples.
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

These are embossing folders on steroids, LOL. They look great Farley; can't wait to see what you do with them.
katymjo

Post by katymjo »

I haven't used my embossing folders for a while, and I bought some new powders recently, so I'll certainly get them out and play.
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

I’d say steroids! That first one is WOW! They are both super but # 1 is a killer!
kacarr61

Post by kacarr61 »

I have embossing folders but have never used them! So very excited about this challenge!
Kathy Carr
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Plenty of Embossing folders here also. I'm sure I can come up with something
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

I have lots of them too so maybe I will get a chance to try this
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

jmp1022 wrote:I have lots of them too so maybe I will get a chance to try this

Jill and everyone, remember my samples are just that. You can use your embossing folders any way you want. Just try to use them!
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Rats. My Vagabond b
91108E93-2665-45CE-B57D-B69FA856A4D6.jpeg
91108E93-2665-45CE-B57D-B69FA856A4D6.jpeg (156.72 KiB) Viewed 403 times
it the dust. Now I really need to get creative...

I inked up the inside of the folder and used it to stamp the design onto white cardstock and then used a circle punch. I even stamped a bit onto the background (on the right side of the page). It’s all I could think of tonight.
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Great page Pam, and nice use of that folder two ways on your page. I'm sorry to hear about your Vagabond. My first thought was 'I wonder how many cuts/embossing passes it made in its lifetime'? Too bad they don't come with a little counter inside.
Not sure if you've a plan to replace it, but check out the new Sizzix Switch if you haven't already. No idea just when they'll ship, but I'm looking forward to receiving mine.
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Here's mine. I started by embossing white w/c paper for both. The green panel was loosely watercoloured, heat embossed with clear EP and then had some contrasting gelato scribbled in the crevices. The greens are less yellow IRL. The other panel was heat embossed with platinum gold EP and then scribbled with some green gelato in the crevices. Gelatos are very soft so buffing, to bring back the shine of the EP, removes a lot of the crayon leaving a subtle hint of colour. I hauled out that Altenew Beatiful Day stamp & die set again. I like this easy technique for colouring the flowers, but need more stamps with a thin black outline.
Attachments
20200601_191410_r.jpg
20200601_191410_r.jpg (237.67 KiB) Viewed 382 times
20200602_091320_r.jpg
20200602_091320_r.jpg (198.74 KiB) Viewed 382 times
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Keitha wrote:Great page Pam, and nice use of that folder two ways on your page. I'm sorry to hear about your Vagabond. My first thought was 'I wonder how many cuts/embossing passes it made in its lifetime'? Too bad they don't come with a little counter inside.
Not sure if you've a plan to replace it, but check out the new Sizzix Switch if you haven't already. No idea just when they'll ship, but I'm looking forward to receiving mine.
I used it maybe 50 times. What a waste of money. And yes, I took it out to the garage and dropped it on the floor several times. Believe it or not - that has "fixed" other machines. Heard that recommendation from several people.
Will check out the Switch - thanks for the recommendation.
Pam Cook #48
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Keitha what great cards.

I have 2 to add and both started off with white card stock. After embossing them I sprayed both with Glimmer Mist (don't know if you can pick it up or not). These are both made with Stampin' Up! EF and stamps.
IMG_4194.jpg
IMG_4194.jpg (45.91 KiB) Viewed 374 times
IMG_4195.jpg
IMG_4195.jpg (73.36 KiB) Viewed 374 times
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Way to go everyone!!!

Pam I’m sorry your Vagabond didn’t bounce the way you wanted but embossing and then die cutting shapes is a great idea. And your LO is adorable. I highly recommend the Gemini Sr or Jr. (I’ll have to check out the Switch) I have the Jr which so far has done everything I need. I’ve had it and used it nearly daily at times since October without any concerns. It’s been a breeze to use and has “revolutionized” my die cutting. And now with this challenge has been awesome for embossing.

Keitha...wow! I love how you created these two panels and then into gorgeous cards. Very “out of the box” and creative.

Cheryl your cards are just jaw-dropping-elegant. Beautiful embossing folders.

I am so impressed with everyones’ ingenuity and all of you with such different spins on this challenge. Just what I was hoping to see!
FARLEY in Sacramento