on our desktops

A great location for discussions about all things organizational. From supplies to creations - how do you keep your crafts organized?
Keitha

on our desktops

Post by Keitha »

We started talking about this in another thread – efficient use of desk space. I’m fortunate enough to have quite a large desk, but inevitably part of it seems to always be covered with my computer and some current paperwork. However the remaining space is still larger than a lot of desktops – and it doesn’t seem to matter how much room I have, once I get crafting I end up covering all of it. I do keep my tool tote permanently on my desk; it sits on a lazy susan and holds everything I frequently use from scissors to rulers to adhesives.
Debbie commented about leaving embellishments on her work surface so she’d be reminded to use them. I tend to keep embellishments I’m trying to use frequently on a shelf right behind me, but with Debbie’s comment instantly had a mental picture of a bulletin board beside my desk with an assortment of different types of embellishments pinned on it. Sort of like a mood board, it would be an assortment of the types of things I could put on my pages, but rather than entire packages of things randomly pinned there would be a curated, colour-coordinated pretty display of one of this, one of that – all intended to remind me I have drawers of these things to be used. I do have a Bullet Board right beside my desk currently covered with random paperwork I want handy but could repurpose it… I’m thinking that while I don’t care for the visual clutter of having all the things out and visible, having a curated grouping of them in a pleasing display might be a practical compromise. Has anyone ever done something similar?
pamcook

Re: on our desktops

Post by pamcook »

Sounds perfect.
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Your idea Keitha sounds great and please post it if/when you do this. I would imagine it would be very inspiring to have that in view.

I constantly reassess the real estate on my desk. I luckily have a fully extended, **old dining table for just crafting alone. My must-have-on-my-desk items are paper trimmer, TH glass matte, Gemini Jr and all my preferred ink pads. Fortunately Bob made me a wall of open cases spanning the width of the wall above my desk to hold the majority of clear stamps, dies and supplies.

Saying all the above makes me laugh at myself considering it is so cluttered. This makes me want to do another gut job, LOL.

**Why I have the old dining table. When Bob and I got married we chose to use his nice teak dining table because we could extend it and squeeze in 10 people. It was also used many times for me and my step-daughter to do craft projects which took it’s toll on the finish even though we did our best to protect it. So Bob decided to sand it down a little to remove the scratches and gunk...wait for it...he either forgot or didn’t realize it was just a veneer. It’s been my craft table for over 20 years now. :lol:
FARLEY in Sacramento
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

There are 3, count 'em, 3 desks in this room. There's the one with the computer, telephone, pens, notepads and small printer on it. The computer is an iMac with a huge screen, so it eats a lot of real estate.

Then there's the IKEA desk, which is really too small. It's only 24" deep and maybe 40" long. The only redeeming factor is that it has 5 drawers on one side. It has my tools, an Ott lamp, and a lazy susan holder with pens, tools, brushes, colored pencils and water color pencils. I want to replace it with a plain wooden door so I have enough room to actually do something.

The other desk is the Murphy desk, which is actually the same size as the IKEA desk. My intent was to use it only for cutting and/embossing machines, etc. However it feels like it has a much larger work space than my desk, so I end up working there most of the time. There's nothing on it except a large cutting mat and a roll of paper towels, which is probably why I use it so much. :-o

It doesn't matter how much room you have, you always neeeeed more. :lol:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

I have 3 tables in my space too. One is Dave's old computer table, which is angled on the sides and has a keyboard slide-out underneath that I use to store my small paper trimmers, scratch paper, and towels. On the backside of that are 2 pine tables that were a Costco special like 20+ years ago, long sides together and short sides against the computer table. I repurposed the dining room we never used into a library 4 years ago, and I've never regretted that decision.... plus, it gave me another craft table!

One dining table has been set up as my die cutting station, with the non-TH dies in plastic storage totes and old magnetic folders, adhesive rolls for making paper into stickers, the Sizzix paper packs and some specialty papers that are for die cutting, my cigar box from Debi because it displays well there ;), a bin with 8x8 pads and another with 6x6 paper pads... and then my Big Shot and plates right there in easy reach. The other table is currently being used by my houseguest as her craft space, which means when I pull out stuff for a project I lose most of the space on the die cutting table.

My table has the laptop and a large monitor (on a pole mount) on the right side, then the center is bracketed by 2 Pampered Chef tool caddies full of pens, pencils, paint brushes, x-acto knives, and so on. between them I have my tape dispenser, a clear desk caddy with two drawers underneath that holds more adhesives, sticky notes, spray bottles, and assorted other random things I use regularly enough to warrant the space. To the left I have another clear plastic caddy that has things like my external hard drive, point and shoot camera, boxes of refill double-sided tape, my half dozen most frequently used inkpads, soft cloths for removing fingerprints from photos, extra Zig glue pens (I bought a box of 12), and more random stuff. Then there's my TARDIS pen case with the Zig pens in different colors and sizes, a metal TARDIS pen caddy that holds water brushes, a plastic snap together pen caddy with my collection of fine point Sharpies (favorite journaling pens), a CS storage caddy project I re-purposed to hold all my ALSB cards, and on the corner, the remotes to the TV, stereo and Fire Stick.

I really need to clean off my desk! :lol: :lol: I've still got enough space to put the TH glass mat on there when I need it, but I don't keep it up there all the time. It's stored between two cube stacks, within arm's reach. Under the computer table on the left I have my large Tonic paper trimmer, garbage can, EK Success glass mats, and Cropper Hopper photo storage box. In the center underneath is the photo and negative scanner in its box, easily accessible but out of the way.

At the risk of scaring people, that was all off the top of my head while I'm checking in from work. :lol: I do need to rethink some of my storage and desk clutter, but I'm determined to finish the December album first.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

You know it is really therapeutic and enlightening (if not embarrassing) to say out loud all the things that we have on our desks! :lol: Though I described the important stuff on my craft desk I didn’t add the writing/marking tools, brushes and blending tools along with just “stuff” that accumulates during every project.

I feel another purge coming on! After all, it is January.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

This thread reminds me of Jaws. To paraphrase - We're going to need a bigger table! :lol:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

:lol: :lol: :lol: