Embossing Question

New tricks to amaze your friends
Keitha

Re: Embossing Question

Post by Keitha »

I'm more than halfway through testing and swatching my embossing powders. While I ponder what I've discovered I've a thought, and a question. Do you suppose VersaMark ink has a shelf life? I've got two pads and have been using the newer one to ensure the best results, but wonder if the ink could be responsible when you have a powder that doesn't work properly? And my real question: how or what do you store your EP jars in? I've long used an acrylic tray that sits on a shelf which I can easily bring to my table, but wonder if there might be a better solution for my space.
Monica

Post by Monica »

I'm not sure about the Versamark, but I've already worn out at least two of them, so... *shrug* The one I'm currently using is likely a few years old by now. My general rule of thumb is to replace the pad when it's either really stained or colored with flecks of EP.

As for storage, I use a multi-drawer plastic storage unit I got at a yard sale over a decade ago, that happens to have drawers just tall enough to store EP jars. I have 5 of them full... and another drawer elsewhere with Distress powders... and a handful of powders that were sold in baggies... Not sure I can easily answer your question! I do pull out a drawer when I'm looking for something, and the majority of the jars have labels on top to tell me what the color is. I simply write the name, although I knew someone who used to emboss the powder to the labels. IF you try to emboss it to the lid you'll likely warp it.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Keitha wrote:I'm more than halfway through testing and swatching my embossing powders. While I ponder what I've discovered I've a thought, and a question. Do you suppose VersaMark ink has a shelf life? I've got two pads and have been using the newer one to ensure the best results, but wonder if the ink could be responsible when you have a powder that doesn't work properly? And my real question: how or what do you store your EP jars in? I've long used an acrylic tray that sits on a shelf which I can easily bring to my table, but wonder if there might be a better solution for my space.
I have refills for my VM pads - works like a charm.
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

I have 3 Versamark pads in various stages of use and grunginess. They all seem to work fine as far as I can tell. My old black embossing powder is not working well though. I’ve got 3 basic WOW embossing powders (black, white and clear) in the CP cart to order soon. Meantime I’ve acquired the WOW embossing ink but haven’t tried it yet. I must get on that. My powders are stored in a shallow tray that slides under my ink pad station. Easy to get to and out of the way of light or heat in the room.

I am always impressed with the YouTube stamping queens and their large plastic, lidded containers with mass quantities of powders in each. I wonder if that large amount ever goes bad?

Not much help Keitha...just thinking out loud.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Actually that does help Farley. I like the ideas of the powders in a shallow tray just under the stamping station; I might be able to accomplish something similar as I already have a tray. I have big containers for my clear EP and UTEE but don't use them enough to justify setting up more. But now I know why I bought that pack of tiny Command hooks that I found a few weeks ago ;)
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Unless your embossing powders are just different colours of all the same brand, it’s a worthwhile exercise to swatch them. Details like texture, finish, thickness and sometimes colour are not apparent in the jar. Apparently I like texture; hardly any of mine are just plain colours that melt to a shiny finish - probably because I can always emboss clear over any coloured ink. Roughly half of them are various whites or metallics; now I can determine which one will give me exactly the look I want. And I hate to say it, but Ranger are not all that. I found that even with using a powder tool the dark UTEE colours ‘haloed’ around the image so you don’t get a clean application. Even the Ranger Fine Detail black is somewhat guilty of this.
I cut individual cards to fit in baseball-card pockets in my swatch book and be easily removed to feel texture. I used my stamp press, some Waffle Flower label stamps, a chalk tool, VersaMark ink and my Darice (hotter) heat gun. A Swiffer cloth is the BEST at picking up stray embossing powders from everything. I’ll probably get rid of those dark UTEE colours – ask me if I’ve ever used them anyway – and a couple of duplicate jars that have never been opened. On the fence about the Ranger Sticky EP; my test with foil was a fail. Anyone else have success with this product?
Here are my cards – although I’ll toss the ones for the powders I’m getting rid of. Other than the issues mentioned all my EPs work fine – and some of them are almost 20 years old. At some point I’ll do a comparison test with all my various embossing inks – VersaMark old and new, Perfect Medium, etc – but for now will keep them all.
Attachments
EP swatches 1_r.jpg
EP swatches 1_r.jpg (212.9 KiB) Viewed 422 times
EP swatches 2_r.jpg
EP swatches 2_r.jpg (170.9 KiB) Viewed 422 times
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

:hijack:
Keitha - I love your new avatar. Is that a new haircut? Very cute!

Back to topic - great choice of stamp to make your samples - I like how you have both a large image and fine detail with the feather.
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

pamcook wrote::hijack:
Keitha - I love your new avatar. Is that a new haircut? Very cute!

Back to topic - great choice of stamp to make your samples - I like how you have both a large image and fine detail with the feather.
Thanks for noticing that Pam. I intentionally picked a stamp that would give me both a large area of colour and some detail, and that would fit nicely on my cards. Of course with the surfeit of stamps here in the Glitter Grotto I didn't have to search long.
Has my avatar changed LOL? I guess it has; not sure why. That's an old photo from when I was in NZ in 2005 - and the Canada 150 border is from 2017. Funny, I was just thinking the other day it might be time to update that - but I haven't looked to see if I have any recent photos I like.
Monica

Post by Monica »

The Distress powders I'm going to get rid of, given that I never quite got the look with them one was supposed to achieve and I can never tell when they are heat set! Those were all bought because it was the new TH thing years ago, but I'm so over them.

My best EP for age and results have always been the ones from Stampendous. Ranger has had some good stuff, but given that I haven't used my melt pot in years and still have too many jars of UTEE bought specifically for that it may be time to purge some of that as well.

I've been doing to many other projects to get around to swatching mine, but once I finish swap cards I hope to have time to do so. I agree that it's a great reference to have on hand!
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Keitha you mentioned sticky powder for foiling. I HATE that stuff simply because I never knew when to exactly stop heating it so it would work. There are too many variables for that to work properly for me to care about ever foiling that way. Or any other way for that matter. At least I didn’t jump on the foiling tool band wagon. I’ll stick to good ole heat embossing. I did take a class in foiling alternatives and at the time they worked pretty well. But once I was out of that class I never was satisfied with the results.

And Monica same problem with the chunky powders. I can’t tell when I am done.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Glad to know it's not just me with the sticky powder. Can't see how it would work any better for art glitters. I agree that the chunky powders aren't as foolproof although I do like the textured results - even if they don't seem Distressed to me. So for now, seeing as that's what most of my coloured powders are, I'll keep the Distress ones. I especially like them for trees or sand.
I also passed on the foiling tools. I've got a couple rolls of foil and can find other ways to use them when I want that bit of shiny; plus, by the time the tools came along I'd already bought my share of gadgets over the years that I never used, so was better able to resist that trap.
Monica

Post by Monica »

That sticky EP is a crock in my opinion. I had 2 different jars from 2 different companies and neither one worked. If I want to foil I either use a wet glue made for foiling or double-sided adhesive... not that I've really done much with the few foils I have. I much prefer the gilding flakes for a beautiful metallic sheen.

Since we're all talking EP here, has anyone tried mixing their own combos? Back in the late 90s there weren't really many blends, mostly an array of solids and metallics, so I used to make up small batches of custom blends for projects. For example, if you want something glittery mix a scoop of your glitter color with clear EP then emboss on your project. Or blend red, white and blue for a patriotic look.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I’ve never tried mixing the powders but now you’ve inspired me!
Pam Cook #48
Monica

Post by Monica »

Go for it, Pam! I have a small spoon that I got ages ago for glitters that I use for measuring them in with powders. I recommend either small jars or small sealable baggies to mix and store.
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Yes, I've mixed powders frequently; for example foliage looks more natural if it's not one solid color. Or I've mixed in a glittery powder with white to make sparkling snow. Here's a thing - I stumbled on a video today using sticky powder; apparently you need to heat it again after you apply the foil or glitter or whatever. Also, you just heat it initially until it gets shiny, too much and it won't work. I'm going to play with mine again and see if I get a better result.