Why Keeping a Daily Diary is Handy!

paddlegal

Why Keeping a Daily Diary is Handy!

Post by paddlegal »

On July 12th there was a major marijuana grow bust at Cosumnes River Preserve deep in the NON-Public area though it wasn’t announced until August 5. This Preserve is where I volunteer all year round doing bird surveys for the biologists. When I saw the article it got me thinking. So I checked back in my BUJO daily review for that day. Yep, I was there but nowhere near where this went down. However I was driving in my car, car-birding on Bruceville/Desmond Rd. I was slowly driving towards the Farm Center gate when I noted about 20+ law enforcement types dressed in camouflage, multiple camo quads and trucks too! Hmmm, I thought...training session? I got a pretty strong glare from 3 or 4 of them. I then realized this might not be a training session and skiddadled.

Now don’t be alarmed. I thought it was really nice of them to clear out these guys BEFORE our waterbird survey begins this Wednesday for the next 7 months in those areas! BTW we go out in teams of at least 3 people. My team’s route is mainly driven and only have to walk when it’s too wet to drive the dirt roads. But my main point of this was that I had my BUJO Daily Review to look back on my notes of that day and realize what I was actually seeing. Also nice to know the CA Fish and Wildlife is on the job.

http://www.egcitizen.com/news/large-mar ... 35d1c.html
FARLEY in Sacramento
nchoney

Re: Why Keeping a Daily Diary is Handy!

Post by nchoney »

Glad they caught the bad guys and that you got the heck out of there!!
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

:wtf:
Pam Cook #48
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Who woulda thunk bird counting could carry an element of danger!?!?
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

pbp908 wrote:Who woulda thunk bird counting could carry an element of danger!?!?
We don’t really get quite that deep where this happened. (But close enough) All of our ponds are either managed wetlands or reflooded rice checks after harvest. So not secluded enough for that kind of activity.

We had a similar event at Stone Lakes National Wildlife Refuge which is just a few miles south of us a few years ago. I read a statistic that our CA Fish and Game have 2 - 3 busts of this kind a DAY! Public land is unfortunately an invitation for this in spite of marijuana being legal in CA. :angry37: This grow was very organized and connected with some bad characters.
FARLEY in Sacramento
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Adding a link if you want to learn a bit about the wonderful Preserve where I have the honor to volunteer and bird when I want to. It has become a destination wildlife area for photographers and birders alike. It’s a joy to be only 20 minutes north of it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosumnes_River_Preserve
FARLEY in Sacramento
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

This reminds me of an incident on a much smaller scale behind our house years ago. Pots of "pot" were being grown in the marsh one Summer. Is that what they were doing there, Farley? It was pretty clever, the pots were self watering as the tide went up and down and it is fresh water up the Bay this far.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Farley I do enjoy your bird posts on FB of your exploits at the Cosumnes River Preserve. I had no idea marijuana was legal in CA. It is in Canada, also.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

mpizzazz wrote:This reminds me of an incident on a much smaller scale behind our house years ago. Pots of "pot" were being grown in the marsh one Summer. Is that what they were doing there, Farley? It was pretty clever, the pots were self watering as the tide went up and down and it is fresh water up the Bay this far.

Marianne, 15,000 plants and 3000 lbs of processed marijuana seized out there! They had diverted water from the Cosumnes River with pumps to irrigate the plants, cut down many trees to let in sunlight, used insecticides, evidence of poaching (deer carcass) and 1300 lbs of trash removed plus 3 loaded weapons and 11 people arrested. Despite marijuana being legal with licensed growers, black market grows are unfortunately common in CA.
FARLEY in Sacramento
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

Wow, sounds like they made themselves at home there
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Unfortunately people who break the law don't limit their nefarious activity to just one aspect of it. Growing marijuana is one thing; diverting water and cutting down trees and killing animals to do it something else entirely. Good on law enforcement for busting them up.

On the subject of a daily diary, I'm again going to attempt to keep some kind of journal on my upcoming trip. It's just a five-night cruise - but already a memorable experience as we're supposed to sail to the Bahamas. I'm waiting to see what the modified itinerary will be, and just hoping the port in Florida opens in time for the cruise to happen at all. It occurs to me I should already be writing as the anticipation of this vacation is quite different than other ones, although I can certainly record things I've said to friends in emails, etc.
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

take care
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois