Dorian forecast

pugmom

Re: Dorian forecast

Post by pugmom »

I'm worried about you east coasters. I'm watching the weather channel and it looks like Myrtle Beach and Hatteras are prime targets. Has anyone heard if Cheryl M. has or will be evacuating? Debi, stay safe.
Sue in NC (formerly known as Sue in Colorado)
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Cheryl M is watching carefully. We have a couple more days before we know when and where folks need to go. Even as far inland as we are, we're on pins and needles. (Same with Beki up in VA, I’m sure.)

Our home is always open even if we don’t have power.

It sure is scary looking.
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

The good thing is that the wind speeds will be much less by the time it gets to the Carolinas. Just want to make sure it's not pushing a ton of water when it comes here.
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
wannabescrappin

Post by wannabescrappin »

Emergency Management (Hyde Co.) met last night but no word as yet about Ocracoke or the rest of the Outter Banks - Deb will likely know first since Mike and other 1st responders get info ASAP. The ocean was very intense yesterday and we could only access the beach at low tide. Water had already breached the dunes onto the highway at high tide. I've never seen anything like this and am glad we didn't unpack everything. This is a scary storm. Last night we heard the SC coast will evacuate at noon. Please be safe!!
Find time each day to rejoice in the journey...

Cheryl H (aka wannabescrappin)
#61 in the order of PAO
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

I haven't heard anything yet... but Ocracoke would be evacuated well before us because of ferry operations. They have to get as many people off the island before they're unable to operate the ferries.

Looks like it's going to bounce along the coastline the whole way up here. But definitely not at the wind speeds it had yesterday.
Debi Daugherty
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Mandatory evacuation of visitors starts tomorrow (Tuesday) at noon.

I've got some things packed already to take to my office tomorrow. It'll be safer up there. Looks like we may wind up with some soundside flooding. So... back to packing things up and putting them up high.

I'll be ready to take a dip in the neighbors' pool tomorrow evening. No renters in the house... makes it fair game, right?
Debi Daugherty
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Cheryl M is not in a mandatory evacuation zone as of now. She and Joe have a plan and will keep us updated.
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

So... Chevie and I will be riding out the storm at one of Mike's relatives' house out at the beach. It's the one we used to have re-create in.. and it's as far from the soundside flooding as we can get. It did get water in its bottom floor in Irene... but there are two more floors we can move up into. I'm not anticipating Irene-type flooding out of Dorian, though. This is going to be much better for me with Chevie since there won't be the issue of a bunch of other people being in and out of the building... like there would be if we were at the fire station.

I'm at work today... resting up from all the heavy lifting I was doing yesterday. I'll be off tomorrow - still have some things in the living room that need to be picked up... and in the kitchen. Mike has some things he needs to deal with... I'll see how much storm prep he does at home... might have to get photographic evidence of it happening. (note... it's a good thing if I still have my sarcastic sense of humor)
Debi Daugherty
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

Be safe, Debi.
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

So this bugger just keeps slowing down in forward movement. Looks like it'll be Friday mid-day .. which is better because then we can see what's happening. But... the forecast brings it right up the sound again.... not good... more like Irene with lots of soundside flooding. Grrrrr ... why do I live out here?? This image is a forecast for Friday around noon.

Back to putting things up... up.. UP!! :-)
Attachments
projection dorian as of Wednesday.. for Friday.jpg
projection dorian as of Wednesday.. for Friday.jpg (68.89 KiB) Viewed 300 times
Debi Daugherty
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I've been watching this storm with more personal interest than an Atlantic hurricane might typically warrant, as I've booked a cruise that's scheduled to depart Port Canaveral on Saturday. To say 'a cruise to the Bahamas' is laughably sad at this point; I've no doubt the itinerary will be modified, the questions now are just a) will the port reopen in time so the cruise can depart at all, and b) where will we sail to? The cruise ship is currently sitting in New Orleans as that's where it was diverted to on the weekend.

Debi and everyone else in affected areas, please stay safe.
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

Boy, Debi, this thing just doesn't want to move along, does it? I don't know how you do this year after year. It's a great place to visit, but I sure couldn't live there.

Keitha, sounds like you're going to have a mystery voyage.
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

I was checking your Ventusky web site since
my sister is down in Charleston, SC.
When you zoom out the site looks like
a Van Gogh painting with all of the colors they've chosen
to illustrate the winds
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
Monica

Post by Monica »

Stay safe, girls! This storm just looks nasty to me.

And Keitha, it'll be an adventure of a cruise one way or another!
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Keitha... hope you get to go on a cruise somewhere... not sure what they'll do for ports-of-call. I have another friend with a cruise booked for the 14th. Hope you're both able to have a vacation!

Stupid storm needs to stop mosying along and get a move-on. Looks like we'll get similar impact that we got from Michael last fall... water was close to coming above the floor but stayed about an inch down... and then subsided. I'm pretty darned prepped. Found some things I'd been looking for .. which had gotten buried under other stuff. So... now I know where everything is... oh wait.. yeah... everything's in big plastic totes... LMAO ... and it may stay there til the Atlantic calms down some more.
Debi Daugherty
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts