North Carolina Gals, I need your help

pugmom

North Carolina Gals, I need your help

Post by pugmom »

We will probably be moving within the next year (maybe sooner, maybe later). This would be our retirement home, before we have to go into "the" home. We love Colorado, but it is just changing so much that we think it's time to leave. The small town that we moved into 20 years ago is growing by leaps and bounds, traffic is horrible, and the entire area between Denver and Colorado Springs is just getting too congested and built up for us.

North Carolina is on our radar; specifically the area between Charlotte and Asheville. We have good friends that are moving to Shelby at the end of this month. They will be living on a lake, which isn't necessarily our thing. A lake view or mountain views would be nice, but not necessary. We would like a little acreage - at least two or three acres, but less than 10. At this point, while my husband is still working, he needs to be within 45 minutes or so of an airport and I would like to be within 30ish minutes of a decent size town, but would love to live near/in a "Mayberry" town - something small and quaint that isn't going to explode in population within the next 10-15 years. We don't want to go any farther east toward the ocean.

I would like you all to tell me the good, the bad and the truly ugly about this area. Are we silly to even think about it? Is it growing too quickly? Are there other areas that would be better suited for us? Should we forget North Carolina altogether? Oh, and weather is pretty important to me. I like the four seasons, however, I want very little snow and no extreme temperatures in either direction. I know every year things are different, but I'm talking about Chicago type weather (where I grew up and hate the weather there - cold, ugly winters and hot, humid summers), no Colorado type snow storms, no Arizona heat (you get the idea).

We do have a short trip planned and will be checking out the area, but I thought I would ask your opinions as well.
Sue in NC (formerly known as Sue in Colorado)
pamcook

Re: North Carolina Gals, I need your help

Post by pamcook »

Hm. Lots to think about.
I love Brevard. It’s in the mountains and certainly has the 4 seasons. It does get more snow than over here in the Piedmont region. Around Hendersonville is lovely as well. I don’t don’t the areas between Asheville and Charlotte. Perhaps Christy could help?
Boone & Blowing Rock are gorgeous but with the University and tourism - yuk. Bryson City and Waynesville are gorgeous.
The interstate system keeps high density within 30-60 from the big cities (W-S, Charlotte, Greensboro, and the Triangle - Chapel Hill, Durham, and Raleigh) and the infrastructure just can’t manage it all).

You’ll get the 4 seasons anywhere in N.C. I’ve loved living here. The hurricanes - not so much. I don’t know how Debi and Mike do it.

I hope some of that is helpful!
Pam Cook #48
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

Thanks, Pam. Hendersonville was one of the areas we wanted to check out. Will Google the others you mentioned. Do hurricanes have any impact that far inland?
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Some impact inland from hurricanes, but not as a rule. Charlotte was hit hard a few years ago (late 80s early 90s?) and you've heard my tales of flooding here 100 miles from the coast. It just depends on the track that the storms take. Mostly the triangle area gets some rain and a bit of wind, and the further west tends to get rain.

I love the area around Cullowhee and the small towns there, but there is a tourist industry pretty much wherever you go in the mountains. Also, the area west of I-77 is where the snow seems to accumulate. Nothing like Chicago, though. :lol:

Do a search for Our State articles - they generally spotlight smaller towns and communities and do some wonderful articles on them.

If you decide to look a bit more easterly, Scotland County is 90 miles from everywhere, 45 minutes from a good airport, and the property values are low. Can't say much for the tax rates, though. Highest in the State for no particular reason. On the plus side it generally only snows once a year and has only flooded once. If you want some acreage, I have 9.1 acres, 2 tractors and implements, 2 outbuildings and a room already set up for scrapping. :lol:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

You sure don’t want to come here, Maricopa County is the fastest growing county in America, so my supplemental insurance lady tells me and I believe it. And in the winter Visitors add another 400,000 when they show up. :shock:
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

Thank you for your help. So far I'm not hearing anything negative so that's very encouraging.
Debbie, I really would not do well in the Arizona heat and all those people.
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

Let me think on this. I know that I can find several resources that can give you some sort of overview for each area.

I am with Pam C and love the Asheville area. I lived there for years and it has a regional airport.
It has had a boom in growth and development though and can be somewhat pricey. Cullowhee and Waynesville are both about 30-40 min outside Aville but smaller. Cullowhee is a college town. Area goes fairly quiet in the Summer. Mountains are a plus and the temps run slightly cooler than where I am.

Charlotte just jumped to I think 18th largest city in the US and it is growing daily. Anything 30-45 min outside limits is being affected. (traffic has become a daily nightmare)
Shelby is like a midpoint to both CLT & AVL and is on highway 74---straight shot both directions.

There is also the Greensboro area which is undergoing a bit of a boom as well though prices are much more affordable. Still lots of average available
Also has an airport and can get to CLT in about 2 hrs, RDU in about 1.5 hours.
Steve is working up in Gboro (thank you non compete clauses) and we are slowly getting the lay of the land up there.
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

Thank you, Christy.
You've all been very helpful. Will print this thread out for my husband and we'll do more research.
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Sue... we're too far from an airport out here on the coast... so Pam C would have more info about the area in the middle part of the state.

and Pam C... I don't know how we handle hurricanes, either... I'm really tiring of all of it.... I probably wouldn't mind moving somewhere else, too.. but couldn't afford it
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com