Cleaning my craft room. Really!

A great location for discussions about all things organizational. From supplies to creations - how do you keep your crafts organized?
Trixie

Cleaning my craft room. Really!

Post by Trixie »

I have been going Marie Kondo on my craft room and I am about 60% done. On one hand I love how clean it is. On the other hand I deserve to be beaten for buying all those CS stamps. I hardly used them and they were expensive. It killed me to get rid of them, but I know I will never use them. I got in there and made some Valentine cards... that is the first paper crafting I have done since ReCreate.

I am determined to finish my heritage scrapbooking and then just do cards. I did help 2 kids make Valentine boxes for school. They were a bit perturbed that Judy's Craft Store had been rearranged. One of them finally said, "Where are all your markers?" I told her, "I gave them all to you, remember? " "Oh yeah!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
paddlegal

Re: Cleaning my craft room. Really!

Post by paddlegal »

Judy, several years ago I did the same with my CS stamps. I had way too many binders bulging with the UMs that I had gone to the trouble of mounting on clingback foam. Yikes! With few exceptions I have disposed of all those stamps. Some were sold but many were given to a friend who teaches at a high school.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Monica

Post by Monica »

I was going to offer mine up on the FB page for selling stuff, but I'm at the get it the hell out of my house point with all those CS stamp sets. I've pulled out the ones I want to keep and that's it. Might try to sell them for a couple weeks and if no takers than they are gonzo.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

I’m needing to do another purge. The CS stamps I held onto haven’t been touched not to mention a boat load of clear stamps that go way back. I just bought a bunch of Catherine Pooler stamps and dies today that went live. Smack me! But I’m really excited about them. :D

My LSS is doing their annual “get rid of your crafty stuff” sale in April. I’ve got to get ready! Bring out the backhoe!
FARLEY in Sacramento
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

I recently made about $300 selling CS stamps on the facebook site.
Like you Trixie it kills when you thin of how much money spent versus how much they were used. UGH.
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

I have a TALL Iris cart full of wood mounted CS stamps. I also have three decorative shoe boxes filled with unmounted CS stamps.

What. To. Do????

It was a sickness, I'm sure, buying all that. I have zero ideas on what to do with them, except leave it all where it is.

So with that, keep up the great craft room organizing Judy!!!
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Christy, if I ship all my stuff to you, will you sell it for me? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding, maybe. :roll:
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I tried donating all of my CS unmounted stamps to the art teacher at the local HS. She didn't want them. :lol: Maybe I can sell them. Or maybe they'll go to the Habitat ReStore. Whatever happens, they need to go.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I try to think of my stamps as perishable items. If I was a card maker, I’m not sure I could think that way. So many are trendy (or just plain stupid and you all know what I mean!). We have to give ourselves permission to say I’ve gotten all the use out of that set or, what on earth was I thinking, or how many cards will I really make with a rhino stamp, or how many baby stamp sets do I really need?

As Marie says, if they don’t spark joy - thank them and send them out the door. FlyLady has been saying that for years. If you don’t love it, need it, use it, or if it doesn’t bless your family - it’s taking up valuable real estate in your space and needs to go. There’s no doubt there’s something in our psyche (women) that makes us feel the need to collect all the things. With CS adding those stamps to our sets, we were doomed to be overloaded with questionable stamp sets.

There’s no doubt that the fewer choices I have, the easier it is for me to create.

I do feel like I make fewer impulse purchases than I used to and I am trying to limit how much space I allow for supplies.
Pam Cook #48
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

pamcook wrote:I try to think of my stamps as perishable items. If I was a card maker, I’m not sure I could think that way. So many are trendy (or just plain stupid and you all know what I mean!). We have to give ourselves permission to say I’ve gotten all the use out of that set or, what on earth was I thinking, or how many cards will I really make with a rhino stamp, or how many baby stamp sets do I really need?

As Marie says, if they don’t spark joy - thank them and send them out the door. FlyLady has been saying that for years. If you don’t love it, need it, use it, or if it doesn’t bless your family - it’s taking up valuable real estate in your space and needs to go. There’s no doubt there’s something in our psyche (women) that makes us feel the need to collect all the things. With CS adding those stamps to our sets, we were doomed to be overloaded with questionable stamp sets.

There’s no doubt that the fewer choices I have, the easier it is for me to create.

I do feel like I make fewer impulse purchases than I used to and I am trying to limit how much space I allow for supplies.
Well said Pam. I recently watched part of a Marie episode...interesting way to let items go. I guess in the end, we should be thankful for all we've been able to accumulate, use, and let go.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Yes!

I also meant to say that when I decided that I’m a scrapbooker, I felt a huge burden lift. I don’t have to keep supplies for every papercraft on the planet. It was fun to try them - otherwise how would I know I’m not a mixed media artist? There’s a small stash of those supplies for making ATCs or page backgrounds but I can do a lot with basic supplies and my scrapbook stash.

We’re all extremely creative. I say buy and keep what you love. Feel free to purge outdated items or those we’re just tired of using. And create more art. My biggest issue is learning that just because I love a pattern or design doesn’t mean I need it, can use it, or I don’t have something almost identical already! (Can I get an amen?)
Pam Cook #48
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Amen.

I have been trying to limit my buying new things.

I have a huge stash of card and scrapbook magazines, not to mention Threads sewing magazines. WHY?

I am thinking what's old is new again, and why not make things that resemble those made several years ago...right? Who would know? But tomorrow is trash/recycle day...
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
Monica

Post by Monica »

ChristyB wrote:I recently made about $300 selling CS stamps on the facebook site.
Like you Trixie it kills when you thin of how much money spent versus how much they were used. UGH.
Okay, okay... I'll go through and post them if only to see if someone will buy them :lol: I also want to post some CS kits and paper packs that I still have that just need to go.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

For everyone coming to Re-create this year... who are also purging... here are some guidelines for the RAK table:

I'll check with our local thrift shops to see if they'd like to have them to sell - like the stamps.

If they don't want them... then PLEASE take them back home with you or toss them in the trash before you head out. Please don't leave them behind - I don't have room for them, either. :-)
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

You also have to admit that we all tend to enable one another. :tomato: Someone will use something really cute and then we all need it. Remember the coffee stamps??? :wtf:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com