Eve

pamcook

Eve

Post by pamcook »

Do you all remember Eve cigarettes? Well, a friend’s grandfather worked for one of the tobacco companies here in Durham. He brought home hundreds of unused cigarette boxes and now Anna is trying to find new homes for them. I thought it might be fun to issue a challenge. If you join in, you’ll use any part of the packaging to make card(s), or a scrapbook page, or a mixed media project. There are other packaging pieces I’ll throw in as long as they last.

The pink paper is also cigarette packaging but I don’t recall that brand at all but I thought it was pretty.

So many people have been and are being harmed by cigarettes, I thought it would be “good” somehow to make something beautiful with the artwork,

There’ll be a random drawing for a gift from all those who participate.

Sign up by 1/31. (As of 1/30, I have Pam P, Pat C, Debi, Sue, Beki, and Cheryl H.) Post your artwork by 3/15.
CBD313E1-4871-4A7D-A709-04EE9CB199B9.jpeg
CBD313E1-4871-4A7D-A709-04EE9CB199B9.jpeg (171.9 KiB) Viewed 662 times
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Re: Eve

Post by paddlegal »

This is amusing. I have no recollection of Eve cigs at all. Both of my parents were smokers (Camels) for many years until they got their individual health scares and quit cold turkey. I recall it was hard for them but they did it.

I’ll pass on this challenge though your idea is brilliant.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I'll bite. I'm pretty sure I can do either a journal page or an ATC with both.

I remember Eves - they were long and skinny, and were promoted as the woman's cigarette. How naive everyone was then.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

I remember them. The packaging looks in wonderful condition. When I was a senior in HS, several girls from my Girl Scout troop, yes, I was a scout all through school years, went to Savannah with our way cool fearless leader. We went to visit Juliet Gordon Low's birthplace. Had a wonderful wild trip, here and there through the south. On the way home, we stopped in Winston-Salem NC and bought cigarettes...mine were for my parents. Such an enabler. We also stopped at a Schlitz brewery...somewhere??? Some of us were 18, and of legal age at home in Michigan. ;) ;) I have to wonder if this trip was on the Metro Detroit Girl Scout Council's radar?

Both my parents were smokers. My Dad quit when his brother was diagnosed with laryngeal cancer.
Greg smoked, but quit when he got his wisdom teeth removed when he was in his early 20's.

ATC's came to mind as well. I WILL JOIN IN PAM.

Sorry for the long ramble, I was walking down memory lane.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Greg googled the Yours Lights brand, which did not last long. They marketed them as a healthier cigarette. The paper was supposed to let harmful cigarette components not get into one's lungs. Really???
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Whatever packaging you all don’t take is going to be punched and cut into 3x4 cards.

I think my lung problems are from growing up in a home where my stepfather smoked cigarettes and then cigars. I escaped when I was 18 but to this day, when I smell cigars I feel panicky and want to throw up. My grandpa grew tobacco. Helping him in the fields was one of the worst things I’ve ever done! So hot and it smells so bad!

The old tobacco campus here in Durham (home of the American Tobacco cartel) is beautiful now. High end restaurants, offices, and condos.
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

I'll join the challenge. Send some my way.
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Product of second hand smoke...that's me. I left at 22. Now I have exercise induced Asthma.

When we lived in Lititz, PA, one of our friends had a farm right by the elementary school. They grew tobacco in several fields. My oldest son would help in the harvest and driving it to the drying barns. HARD work.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

I'll play!
Sue in NC (formerly known as Sue in Colorado)
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Yay! Looks like we have a challenge now!

My family grew tobacco in Virginia - acres and acres of it. That was in the days of no allotments - grow what your land could produce, which in some cases led to exhausted soil where those with no common sense never rotated their crops. I have pictures of my parents, grandmother and great-grandmother standing in the fields. The tobacco was taller than they were, not the shorter tobacco you see in the fields now. To keep us little ones out of mischief, they gave us old Mason jars and we filled them with tobacco worms. At harvest time we all strung the tobacco and hung it in the barn. Later they loaded the old sledge (huge wooden sled on wood runners), hitched up Sam, and it was pulled down to the road to be loaded in trucks to go to market. Photo is my Grandmother and Great-Grandmother taken in 1955.

Geez, here I go showing my age again. :lol:
TobaccoField1.jpg
TobaccoField1.jpg (157.15 KiB) Viewed 617 times
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Same memories from my grandparents farm. I need to do a layout...
Pam Cook #48
BekiWard@msn.com

Post by BekiWard@msn.com »

This intrigues me...especially that some of my favorite trails are on the Tobacco Heritage Trails so I have lots of pictures. I like the idea of ATCs done with the cartons, too. We also have a few clients who are still tobacco growing farmers...

I have to put my thinking cap on, but would be happy to play!
Beki Ward
Clarksville VA
BekiWard@gmail.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

I remember Eve cigarettes, although no one in my immediate family smoked. It was the artwork on the box that I recall. Interesting that some of you have memories of tobacco farms. I'm decidedly a product of the Pacific Northwest and Alaska, so no tobacco farms over here but we do produce a vast percentage of the nation's hops along with apples and other tree fruit.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Pam P that is a wonderful photo you have. I remember being raised with both parents smoking until my kids were young. My boys would do up Construction paper with NO SMOKING on it for in the car when they were around my parents. I only smoked for about 1 year and that was more than enough. Joe smoked pipes for about a year or two but once kids came along neither of us smoked. My parents both had health issues come up and gave up smoking.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
wannabescrappin

Post by wannabescrappin »

I'd love to play!
Find time each day to rejoice in the journey...

Cheryl H (aka wannabescrappin)
#61 in the order of PAO