Joel’s mom...

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
pamcook

Joel’s mom...

Post by pamcook »

...and why you must have at least one nurse in the family.

The assumption (by everyone there from family to doctors) was that she was septic. She has chronic baldder infections. Confusion, somnolence, not eating (how many days?? How can you know if you don’t see her every day??), shaking, chills...

After 3 days in hospital (blood cultures, bladder scans), I asked for her blood work. Sodium levels critically low. Symptoms of hyponatremia? Confusion, nausea, seizures, COMA. Last evening, her heart rate was dropping into the 40’s and sodium level even lower. Told SIL demand to see a doctor. Normal saline IV infusion over night, this morning ate her breakfast, asked for Sprite (I keep trying to get her to drink soft drinks for the sodium) and able to have a conversation.

Don’t even get me started on the EXTREME lack of nursing care.

Never, ever stop asking questions when a loved one is in hospital. Never assume they are paying attention to symptoms.

Finally SIL sees that my questions are questioning her but instead, questioning her medical team!
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Re: Joel’s mom...

Post by Keitha »

Oh Pam, how lucky for her that you know what to ask about. I hope things continue to improve for her.
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Hooray for Nurse Pam!!! And yes... it's all about quality of care... or... whether they care at all. Glad you kick-started someone out there!!
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Nurse Pam to the rescue! Awesome Pam that you got the job done and she is doing so well. Thanks for letting us know how she is.

Yes, I also learned to keep after the medical help with both of my parents...and I have NO medical background. But questioning and dogging the people who are caring for your loved ones is a must.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I had to learn the hard way with George's care during his 2nd bout with pneumonia (or lack thereof). Primary care givers, i.e. family, have to ask questions, observe, demand answers, and if those answers don't satisfy - keep at it.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

I do not understand this. If you don't have good medical care right there in the middle of those fantastic schools like Duke, Wake Forest, UNC, etc and (I thought) cream of the crop hospitals, then what hope do the rest of us have? This is scary.
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

Every hospitalized patient needs an advocate that
knows what questions to ask
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Trixie wrote:I do not understand this. If you don't have good medical care right there in the middle of those fantastic schools like Duke, Wake Forest, UNC, etc and (I thought) cream of the crop hospitals, then what hope do the rest of us have? This is scary.
They’re in Ohio. We couldn’t get her to move here. Both our families live up there.
Pam Cook #48
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

Thank goodness you caught and insisted on treatment.
Have a friend who developed this last Summer while up in Philly, wound up spending a week in ICU on life support because NA levels so low and took while to figure out.

You need someone to be a voice in the medical field. Question everything and SPEAK UP!
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Everyone needs an advocate while hospitalized. Good for you Pam, for your enlightenment to those involved.

We just had to go through another round of ITP, low platelets, with our son Dan (32). He has had various blood conditions since age 13. Since this was a new location, docs, etc...we were at ground zero with discussions of treatment. We told them repeatedly what works, and gave doc reports from his last episode. but alas, they went with what doesn't. ONLY, to switch gears and go with what works. The doc said if Dan has this again while at this location, they will do things differently. Dan's platelets are now at a good level.
Off my soapbox.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Pam she is so lucky that you were able to be "there" for her! Good for you SIL for listenting to you.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

Hope she does better Pam
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Tough morning but better this afternoon. She’s strong for an almost 90 year old (March 16) but it doesn’t take much to knock her off her feet. They did get her up to walk in the hallway today.
Pam Cook #48
fuzzylover

Post by fuzzylover »

Pam, considering the last few posts, it sounds great that they have her up and walking. Good for you to take charge and ask questions.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Please keep us all in your prayers.
Mom continues to slowly improve. She still has trouble staying awake and is a bit delusional at times. Almost like how when you dream about something you saw or read and incorporate it into your life.
Anyway, the siblings are having a phone conference tonight to make a plan for her care when she’s ready to leave. Joel and I thought we were going to have to move her in with us but it seems the extended family there might actually pull together for her. Maybe.
Lots of potential for an explosive phone call - hoping not. Will see.
Pam Cook #48