Prayers for Joel?

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
pamcook

Prayers for Joel?

Post by pamcook »

I thought I had posted but evidently not. During Hurricane Florence madness, the university had all these middle aged men throwing out sand bags. He came home with a sore shoulder and it never got better. Couldn’t sleep, nothing helped. Chiropractor did one adjustment- not all that helpful. Two months of poor sleep and pain and I finally got home to Duke Orthopedic Urgent Care. Thankfully, the PA on service that Sunday specializes in shoulders. Two days later, MRI shows complete tear of his rotator cuff and possible tear in his bicep tendon. Surgery is 11/27. 4-6 weeks in a sling and 4-6 months recovery.

The issues we’re praying about -
Successful surgery with no complications
Effective pain management
Joel will stay motivated to participate in PT
Joel’s boss will be willing to let Joel return to work “light duty” - highly, highly doubtful but my God is pretty awesome!
Worker’s Comp will agree to cover the surgery & treatment (otherwise, he’ll have to use all his paid time off, go on disability, delay his retirement, pay his insurance benefits out of pocket, and pay all the copayments and deductibles
Some how we’ll miraculously find our water line leak. As it is, after clocking out every evening, I’ll have to drive down to the meter to turn the water on, cook supper, clean up, both of us shower, and then drive back to turn the water off. Every.single.day. If we could find the leak, we’d gladly pay someone to repair it (the line is buried 2 feet deep in good-old NC red clay).

I think that’s about it! Oh - and maybe no snow or ice storms because I’m not that skilled with the generator!
And - last but not least, strength for me being a full-time care giver and working full time.
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Re: Prayers for Joel?

Post by nchoney »

Lots of prayers for both of you.... keep us posted.... hope the water leak gets found soon so at least one thing can get checked off...

big hugs!!!
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

You did mention it somewhere in a post but not all the details. That's awful and especially being it's the university's fault he hurt himself. Keeping Joel in my thoughts for a speedy uncomplicated recovery and for you, patience with the water leak and the patient! :happy94:
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Oh my gosh Pam! I know how tough it is to do your normal daily work and be a care giver to boot. I’ll be thinking of you both.

A friend of mine who is a pro kayaker and makes his living teaching ocean kayaking skills went through a similar surgery. He’s doing great and is back kayaking and teaching. He was able to shorten the recovery time somehow. My best to Joel and you.

:happy94:
FARLEY in Sacramento
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

I'm so glad you finally convinced him to go to the doctor. Prayers to you and Joel for a successful and uneventful surgery and that everything else goes the way it should.
Sue in NC (formerly known as Sue in Colorado)
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Good heavens! As soon as I read what happened I immediately thought "Workman's Comp should be paying for this." They should cover the surgery, rehab and time lost at work. Poor Joel. When it rains, it literally pours for you guys.

NRF1 and NRF2 are what George and I have been taking. They've helped us a lot.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Unfortunately, I couldn’t get him to report the injury until two months had passed. And he’s gone ahead and scheduled surgery before filing the report. We don’t want to have to call “The Hurt Line” but it could come to that. We wouldn’t be so angry if throwing sandbags was in his job description as an HVAC Mechanic. It’s an “and other duties as assigned” thing they dumped on all the blue-collar men who work there. White collars are told to stay home along with all the frat boys. (Grrrr)

No, I’m not angry.
Pam Cook #48
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

I hope the surgery goes well. I have heard that the recuperation is long. I will be praying for you, too. You finally get to work at home... just in time to become a caregiver.

Judy
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Thinking of you both today, Pam. Will you be able to be there or do you have to work?
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Thanks everyone! Surgery is over. Hope to see him soon. Much worse than expected. Pain management is now the issue. Trying dilaudid to avoid hospital stay. Going to be a long night but we’re on the other side of it now.
Pam Cook #48
pat-czap

Re: Prayers for Joel?v

Post by pat-czap »

Hoping recovery goes without any serious issues. Take care, best wishes for Joel.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
wannabescrappin

Post by wannabescrappin »

So glad the surgery is over. Prayers and much love to you both; not far away when/if you need a break from caregiving ;)
Find time each day to rejoice in the journey...

Cheryl H (aka wannabescrappin)
#61 in the order of PAO
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Pam so sorry it’s going tough on Joel. I hope by now that his pain is under control enough that he could go home. Thinking of you both. If I was in the neighborhood i’d be bringing you a healthy meal or two. Do your best to take care of yourself as well. :happy94:
FARLEY in Sacramento
Monica

Post by Monica »

Sending healing thoughts for Joel and a big hug for you, Pam. Keep us posted. :happy94:
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Because Joel has some degenerative disease in his cervical spine, anesthesia wouldn’t do a nerve block. The doctor wanted him to stay over night but there were no beds (in the outpatient surgery center) and he felt being home would be a better option than inpatient. I worked night shift for way over 10 years. The doctor is correct. We’re trying to control it with the ice machine, dilaudid, Tylenol, and ibuprofen. He sleeps for 5-10 minutes at a time but the pain never subsides.

He repaired all three main tendons of the rotator cuff. Suspected damage to only two. We all know sleep is critical for the healing process. Every minute is a blessing!
Pam Cook #48