Tim's Christmas Shadow Boxes

Are you a Tim Holtz fan? We are!
GramBettyMae

Tim's Christmas Shadow Boxes

Post by GramBettyMae »

Hi Gang,
Here is what I was doing on the Christmas treadmill this year! And what an artistic workout it was. But did I ever learn a lot. One thing I learned was patience in pursuing all the little items involved in putting these things together. That was probably the hardest part was gathering everything I needed and first of all finding it! I have a whole new appreciation for the folks that do anything miniature! I will post my sources of my findings in a separate post. I went all over the web!
Attachments
Youngest grandaughter's box.  On the back was a library pocket with money for the movies after Christmas.
Youngest grandaughter's box. On the back was a library pocket with money for the movies after Christmas.
StevieBox.JPG (245.25 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Oldest grandaughter's box.  On the back was a library pocket with money for the movies after Christmas.
Oldest grandaughter's box. On the back was a library pocket with money for the movies after Christmas.
LindseyBox.JPG (231.95 KiB) Viewed 498 times
My very own shadow box!  Usually I don't get one of whatever I make so I planned one for me as well.
My very own shadow box! Usually I don't get one of whatever I make so I planned one for me as well.
BettyBox1sm.JPG (193.48 KiB) Viewed 493 times
aprilpzzl

Re: Tim's Christmas Shadow Boxes

Post by aprilpzzl »

Betty,

These are just precious! Super gifts, but I'd have a hard time letting them go.

April
donnak

Post by donnak »

These are gorgeous Betty! I would love to know your sources for everything, esp. the boxes themselves! TFS
tlscrap

Post by tlscrap »

BEAUTIFUL!!! Betty Mae, you are going to be a great addition to our swaps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://tlscrap.blogspot.com/
PAO #8
Theresa Lee
Painesville, Ohio
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

These boxes simply take my breath away. FANTASTIC!
cnedaria

Post by cnedaria »

those are FANTASTIC! Lucky family you have!
GramBettyMae

Thanks for comments!! List of sources for Shadow Boxes

Post by GramBettyMae »

Here is where I located my items. Hope this helps:
(*note: other sites had these items but they were in stock before Christmas at these sites.)

-Shadow Boxes for scenes with Christmas Tree were at IKEA. They are slightly deeper than the Michael’s boxes to accommodate a tree. (Cost 3.99/ea but need to be sanded and painted)
-Shadow Boxes with Photos were at Michael’s. Cost: 7.99 (used half off coupon but most of the time they were 40% off)
-Charms were at a few places but most came from Michael’s or http://www.acharmingplace.com. I also found some at http://www.articusstudiodesign.com
-Corner Charms all came from http://www.acharmingplace.com Large corners were used on IKEA boxes. Smaller corners fit best on the Michael’s boxes. The prices were very good! I dabbled on black acrylic paint and wiped off the surface to get the vintage look and to tone down the shine. It was easy and quick. I just did it with my finger so I would not have to wash a brush. I hate washing brushes. Also used Tim’s keys on corner’s of son’s box. Again give lots of drying time before moving on with this one.
-Calendar Stamps from Tim Holtz collection.
-Musical Note stamp was from CS Musical Interlude kit.
-Vintage Santa used on background wall was in my stash, but most of these came from http://www.alteredpages.com
-Metal Numbers from Tim Holtz collection.
-Glitter used was all Stickles for best results by Ranger or Tim Holtz Distress Stickles. I have used other glitters but these are my fave! Soooo easy to use.
-Paint was all Tim Holtz Daubers but any acrylic will do.
-Sticky back canvas was found at http://www.blockheadstamps.com
-Merry Christmas rub ons are at http://www.hamblystudios.com (the only place I could find the white ones in stock)

-The trees are prelit 6” trees and are half off right now at Ace Hardware. They are a prelit tree that takes batteries and I have the battery box mounted on the back of the shadow box. They normally run 12.00 but are 6.00 right now. I added some extra balls glued onto the front for a little extra splash.

-Feet under box was resin Crystals from Michaels. Comes in a clear plastic box with different shapes and sizes. I used them all. Drilled holes in bottom almost completely through and glued in place with my CS bookbinding glue. Let them dry thoroughly upside down and they will be rock solid.
Toppers were picks that I cut apart and added some sheet music I printed from a Tim pdf that was shared on another board.
Icicle Spray: I had to order it online because my Michael’s only has a frosted spray. It is called Santa Ice Crystals. When I Google it, several links come up. I did a lot of trial and error with this spray. My best result, was to cut a 5x7 piece of card stock and use my most jagged decorative scissors to cut an oval to lay on the glass. (add a couple of tape curls on the glass side to hold it down well) and then spray toward each corner. I tried to keep the ice around the perimeter because when I just sprayed the glass it was too much. It helps to keep it level after you spray it so it won’t run to the center of the window. It does not look like much when wet but after it dries it is magical! If you have some spots that you want a little more clear just use ammonia type Windex and it will clear the areas you don’t want ice on. Some of you might have experience with this and have more tips but this is what I found worked for me.

-The dreaded WISH and JOY letters were my most difficult part of this project. Once I got them strung on wire, I was trying to install them from the back side, but I found that if I lay them on the front of the glass in position, and then wrap my wire around a map or straight pen at the place I want to hang the words that took a lot of guess work out of the hanging process. After I pinned them in place I put a dot of Glossy Accents in place and removed the pins after it dried. Tim may have had an easier way to do this but again, I did it by trial and error. No sense all of you fumbling around with these letters. Oh, these are Thickers, Platform font in white that I added Platinum Stickles on top of. Extra side note on Platinum Stickles. It is like a combo of silver and gold and it was my favorite for Christmas projects like the letters.

I am also dreaming about birthday boxes, anniversay boxes with an old wedding photo of cutting the cake, Easter boxes, Valentine boxes, All About Me boxes of each grandchild, so many possibilities! Did I mention that I glued library pockets on back for gift cards? My very next one will be a wedding day box for my niece. She is getting married next month. It will have lots of bling and sparkle.
Betty Mae
www.grambettymae.typepad.com
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

:happywave: WOW :happywave:
these are super duper fantastic.
thanks for sharing them with us.
Sharonv

Post by Sharonv »

They are stunning and thank you for sharing all the information too :)
Paula

Post by Paula »

Betty Mae,

these boxes are absolutely adorable :clap: :clap: Thank you so much for listing where you bought all of your "ingredients". I have already started to purchase my supplies, cuz what you have done is great, and I will case for sure!!! I just need to get the boxes, and will plan a trip to Ikea. Love, love love them, and the time you took to share :happy94:

Paula
GramBettyMae

Post by GramBettyMae »

Thanks Paula! I am so glad the list was helpful. The gals have always taken the time to share so many details here which has help to make my projects sucessful. I had to pass on what I learned and give back what has so freely been given to me. Enjoy!!!
Betty Mae
http://www.grambettymae.typepad.com
Judi in IL

Post by Judi in IL »

Betty Mae, these are absolutely WONDERFUL! Thanks so much for sharing!
LynnMath

Post by LynnMath »

Wow, Betty Mae, these are just stunning! Thanks bunches for sharing your sources and tips -- I think I'd like to try something like this for my 21-yr old son -- for NEXT Christmas. I'll need that long to get it done! And mayb I can get some stuff now on post-Christmas clearance...
n8tvtexan

Post by n8tvtexan »

Those are gorgeous! Thanks for the supply list break down.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Yes, thanks BettyMae for the supplies list and information regarding your beautiful creations! I've saved the info and am also going to try and attempt this. What gorgeous gorgeous boxes. You are truly a gifted crafter.
Cathy:)