2016 Christmas Cards - March

pamcook

2016 Christmas Cards - March

Post by pamcook »

This is where you'll find instructions from Jen for our March collection of Christmas cards!
Pam Cook #48
ScrappinJen

Re: 2016 Christmas Cards - March

Post by ScrappinJen »

Thanks, Pam, I'll post my cards later this evening.
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Okay, my cards are all posted in PSL so I can fire away here now.

Since I'm sorta known for my excessive embossing folder collection, I thought my challenge to you would be to use your embossing folders in five different ways. I hope you all have some embossing folders. If not, I'm sure you might have the old skool brass embossing templates we all had back in the day. Worst case scenario, you could emboss using a stencil or any other object that is traceable.

Because each card is different, I will post each one in a different post. I fear I spent so much energy on the techniques for the folders that I ran out of gas on the card designs themselves. I hope you get what I'm trying to demonstrate and don't mind if my cards are lame. I hope you are all tempted to dig out those folders and make some Christmas cards, even if they are all the same technique. Thanks for joining in.
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

My first card may look familiar because the embossed panel was made quite some time back. For this one, I applied Distress ink to the folder, (I'm not sure if you call it the positive or negative side but it's the side which does NOT bump out), spritzed it with water and then ran it through the machine.
Attachments
PAO Distress embossing.jpg
PAO Distress embossing.jpg (203.27 KiB) Viewed 694 times
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

This second one uses embedded embossing where you adhere the shapes onto cardstock and then run all layers through the machine. Easy peasy but a great result. I think.
Attachments
PSL Metallic Cardstock ornaments.jpg
PSL Metallic Cardstock ornaments.jpg (189.66 KiB) Viewed 695 times
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

My third sample may be an epic fail because I just couldn't get a consistant application of ink. It's an embossed image not actually in my vast collection. My little sis gave me a couple of these from her folder. I brayered ink onto the embossed image. Then applied stickles to the raised images. I would be happier if the application of ink was better but I don't have any more of these. Boo hoo
Attachments
PSL Metal star.jpg
PSL Metal star.jpg (205.54 KiB) Viewed 695 times
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Fourth example is the application of the ink pad directly to the embossed image. I used Delicata Golden Glitz ink.
Attachments
PSL Metallic ink ribbon paper.jpg
PSL Metallic ink ribbon paper.jpg (193.02 KiB) Viewed 695 times
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

The next one is metal flashing tape applied to grunge board and then run through the machine. You gals are really going to think I am adhesive challenged because I simply can't get this reindeer to stay attached to the metal tape. I put him on pop dots. Guess I need to find some other way. Anyway, he stayed on long enough to take a photo.
Attachments
PAO Metal tape embossing.jpg
PAO Metal tape embossing.jpg (166.09 KiB) Viewed 694 times
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

And, oops, here's a bonus. This is white cardstock embossed and then selectively colored using PlayColor Metallic solid poster paint.
Attachments
PSL Metal cardstock (2).jpg
PSL Metal cardstock (2).jpg (227.56 KiB) Viewed 694 times
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Before I monopolize this entire board for the evening, here is a sample of the panel used on the card with metal flashing tape. I was pleased with my results and then ended up covering it up. So I photographed the other panel to show you wax paper resist. I ran wax paper through the machine in the embossing folder. Then sandwiched it between two pieces of glossy card stock. And then, believe it or not, I fired up the ole iron and ironed that wax paper design onto the cardstock. Then sponged ink over both panels. One is used on the card posted above. And I have the reverse panel ready for another card. This is a cool technique. And oldie but goodie.
Attachments
Wax paper resist PAO.jpg
Wax paper resist PAO.jpg (124.43 KiB) Viewed 694 times
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Holly moley Bat Girl!!! (Pun intended) Your cards are outstanding and the variety is definitely a challenge but a great one. Excited to get started.
FARLEY in Sacramento
nancine

Post by nancine »

Lots of great ideas to get our creative juices flowing. Or wax paper resist, indeed a fun one! And I still have most of a roller of that flashing tape!

However I can't believe that reindeer won't stay on with a glue dot? Maybe you need the glue gun!
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Nice examples!
I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone does with this challenge. Especially me - since right now, I have no idea!! I do know which folder I plan to use so that's a start.
Pam Cook #48
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Oh, I love all these techniques and have been wanting to play with embossing folders. I don't have many Christmas ones, mostly generic designs but they will work.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Very cool! Will be playing later.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO