2015 August Card Sketch...sort of!

paddlegal

2015 August Card Sketch...sort of!

Post by paddlegal »

Well not really a sketch at all. I'm proclaiming this month is STENCIL card month! I'm on a stencil toot so why not drag all of you into this. I think it's safe to bet that you ALL have at least one stencil if not dozens or more....you know who you are. :lol:

I spent 2 1/2 hours last Friday night watching Ken Oliver demonstrate his Color Burst products using stencils. More on Color Burst in another thread. But it got my stencil mojo going.

What to do: grab some stencils, watercolor paper, multi-medium paper or what ever you like messing with. Start making some backgrounds with them and paint, Distress Ink, watercolors, Gelatos...you get the idea. Make some art, cut it up, die cut it or do nothing with it, but make a card or two or three from your playing around. It will be fun.

I liked my combo of a bold stencil on the tag with the damask stencil in the background. Mix them up. Let's see what you can do with yours!
Attachments
IMG_3667.jpeg
IMG_3667.jpeg (148.96 KiB) Viewed 836 times
FARLEY in Sacramento
pat-czap

Re: 2015 August Card Sketch...sort of!

Post by pat-czap »

Ok, this is fun. What about that large circle focal on your card? Is it a diecut, perhaps cut from vellum?
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Wow! Great job Farley. I'm really looking at those Color Bursts but I really need to stop!!!
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

pat-czap wrote:Ok, this is fun. What about that large circle focal on your card? Is it a diecut, perhaps cut from vellum?

Yes Pat, the large circle is vellum cut with a Cherry Lynn Design die of a cathedral window.
FARLEY in Sacramento
nancine

Post by nancine »

Cool Farley - I have a few stencils....

Here's a card I made for online card class using a stencil and embossing paste.
I colored three dollops of paste with 2 colors of distress ink - dark, medium and light.
Attachments
OnlineCardClass_owl (277x300).jpg
OnlineCardClass_owl (277x300).jpg (96.49 KiB) Viewed 802 times
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

What is new and different about these Color Burst products? I'm not getting it. Looks like all the other sprays out there?
Wendysuebee

Post by Wendysuebee »

Funny. Marianne and I were just communicating that exact same thought.
I watched three videos about them and it seemed like most of the time, they used a lot of water, grabbed brushes and made a wash. We can do that without purchasing a new product and I'm guessing with a little thought, could get a burst effect in a different way with what's already in our studios/crafting rooms.
Sounds like a challenge to me! :creating:
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

I just watched some videos, too. Is it actually a powder that shoots out of the bottle? And is this different from that judikins product of a couple years ago? I don't think I need it. I thought the burst looked cool but then he brushed and blew over it and lost it. So I think we could approximate this look with things we already have in our arsenal.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Remember the tim technique using a straw or a can of air to get a spray effect? Or using a kids' paint spinner? I haven't done that for ages. I've put it on my calendar to do when I get home.

Really pretty card, Nancy!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

ScrappinJen wrote:I just watched some videos, too. Is it actually a powder that shoots out of the bottle? And is this different from that judikins product of a couple years ago? I don't think I need it. I thought the burst looked cool but then he brushed and blew over it and lost it. So I think we could approximate this look with things we already have in our arsenal.

I guess you just need to play with it to see it's versatility. Unfortunately I've noticed on many videos that they don't do the product justice. The way I saw Ken Oliver "paint" with a stencil the other night just blew me away and I don't quite see how you would get the same effect with wet sprays. I think with these powders you have a bit more control with color and wetness.

I'm not familiar with JudiKins having had a powdered product that you referred to. I'd love to know what that was and compare them.

I have not posted any Color Burst items yet but hope to soon. It's just a lot of fun to play with. :creating:
FARLEY in Sacramento
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Nancy, your stencil card is fabulous and coloring the paste for that ombré look is awesome. Keep them coming!
FARLEY in Sacramento
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Farley, I didn't mean a powdered product from Judi. I was referring to that other product of hers that you bought at Scottish Rite. I don't think I realized this one was powder when I first started discussing it. I can certainly see how it must be different.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Nancy, we must have been posting simultaneously because your beautiful card wasn't up there when I started typing before. Love the idea of coloring the paste. Very cool result.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

ScrappinJen wrote:Farley, I didn't mean a powdered product from Judi. I was referring to that other product of hers that you bought at Scottish Rite. I don't think I realized this one was powder when I first started discussing it. I can certainly see how it must be different.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Oh that one. Yes that was the Splash Ink product which I like also. But different in how it's used and applied. I have made one card with my CB and want to do some samples and then I'll post them.
FARLEY in Sacramento
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Here is another stencil card. The blue background was made with Color Burst pigments. Large circle is from CS 2010 Retreat's Michael Strong stencil and the butterfly was stenciled with CS Artifacts "sunburst".
Attachments
IMG_3708.jpeg
IMG_3708.jpeg (198.46 KiB) Viewed 766 times
FARLEY in Sacramento