Stretch Your Stamps 2

Trixie

Re: Stretch Your Stamps 2

Post by Trixie »

This was the kissing technique. It is hard to see, but I used a stamp from the CS Avant Garde collection. The plain kissing didn't work, so I covered it with white ink and that worked great. It even calmed some of the color down. Oh, and one lesson learned... They told us to tap the card on the table to get a nice rounded embellishment dot. A little goes a long, long way. That is why the top one is SO BIG. One tap would have been sufficient. :)
Attachments
2014-08-18_22-18-37_993 (361x640).jpg
2014-08-18_22-18-37_993 (361x640).jpg (92.47 KiB) Viewed 458 times
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Everyone's cards are outstanding! I think this has been a terrific class and though some techniques I will probably never do again, this has been worth every penny. I think in general OCC's lessons are great.

Trixie your "kissing" stamp card turned out great. Mine was a total fail, LOL. I also had some blotchy problems but then I always do with large solid stamps. I used the new Simon Says Stamp ink pads on the normal colors and Hero Arts neon ink for the obvious neon one. That too was a little blotchy with the yellow in particular. Some colors seem to be better than others. But in spite of that I do like the new SSS dye inks very much.

Marianne your cards are knockout! I originally hoped to use the class for holiday cards but just couldn't quite get myself into that. Good for you for jumping on that. Looking back at everyone's cards makes me want to try some of the lessons I didn't get to yet.

The graphic stamp lessons were great for me since I had the actual stamp set. This really gave me some wonderful ideas of how to use them.
Attachments
Stretch class cards sm 4.jpg
Stretch class cards sm 4.jpg (95.92 KiB) Viewed 455 times
Stretch class cards sm 3.jpg
Stretch class cards sm 3.jpg (78.75 KiB) Viewed 455 times
Stretch class cards sm 2.jpg
Stretch class cards sm 2.jpg (94.49 KiB) Viewed 455 times
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

These cards are just wonderful! It's been fun to see what techniques you all are using. I hope the enthusiasm continues!

I had forgotten about the kissing technique. Did anyone try "reverse kissing"? It's pretty cool as well.

Keep posting those cards!
Pam Cook #48
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Thanks for the comments! Farley and Judy, your solid stamps turned out very well. One thing I learned was that some inks continue to smooth out over a couple of days. Can't say that I've noticed that but it does give me hope when I get some new inkpads. Meanwhile strategically placed embellies help.

Judy, are those dots Liquid Pearls? I've never used it. It really does look like pearls.

Farley, trying to do holiday cards has really been limiting but I'm glad I did some. I don't have a lot of Christmas stamps so had to choose other stamps for the various stamp categories. The stamp sets they chose were all very good, imho. It was a wonderful class.

What's reverse kissing, Pam? I hadn't heard of kissing with another ink color either. Back in the day, it was just an uninked stamp.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

Yes, they were liquid pearls. They said something on one of the videos about tapping the card on the table to get rid of the pointy look and get a well rounded top. If one tap is good 6 is probably better, so I was tapping away while doing something else. In other words, not paying attention. They REALLY spread out quickly and then a few ran into each other. I was able to scrape them up and redo what I needed to do. One tap next time!

Also, for those of you not taking the class, they mentioned securing sequins using liquid pearls as a good method. Apparently, a little liquid pearl seeps up in the center of the sequin so it doesn't look bare. A little dab will do ya!
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

If I understand correctly, "kissing" means taking a solid design stamp, inking it, and then "kissing" an un-inked patterned stamp to the inked stamp. You then use the inked stamp.

Reverse kissing is simply using the patterned stamp on your paper. For instance, I could use a balloon/solid stamp and kiss it with a tiny script stamp. Then use the script stamp on my paper. Does that even make sense? If you could see my hands, it would make perfect sense.

Edited - here's a youtube video. Trust me - skip to about 1:30 on the video and you'll find the reverse kissing technique.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYbW6AqpTR0
Pam Cook #48
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Of course, it makes perfect sense, Pam, I can see your hands from here!

Thanks, Judy, I thought that suggestion was great for securing sequins with a hole. You get them glued and a pearl, too. maybe some other thick stuff would also work.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

A few cards from yesterday. I saw this stamp at my friend Wendy's house it said "ornament" to me. It's one of the ogee shapes from the CS UMs Hope kit. She got it in the grab bag recently. I did the kissing with a stamp from Rhapsody in gold paint. I found that pigment inks worked much better to get a solid stamping. Then I embossed the shapes with clear powder.
P1140058web.jpg
P1140058web.jpg (128.36 KiB) Viewed 426 times
The gold along the edges is from another class like what Judy used on her card but I used metallic flakes not embossing powder. I love metallic flakes but forget about them until I saw a post about it in the Ellen Hutson newsletter which I just signed up for during the class.
P1140059.JPG
P1140059.JPG (134.4 KiB) Viewed 426 times
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Your ornaments turned out fantastic! That makes sense using pigment ink for the best coverage. I'll have to try that one.
FARLEY in Sacramento
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Thanks, Farley!

Another thing a teacher said in a class was to leave the stamp in position on the paper for a few seconds so the ink would soak in. I'm not sure if it was about solid stamps but I did try that when I wasn't 'kissing' a stamp and it seemed to help.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Really very pretty. Thanks for that tip about the pigment ink.
Pam Cook #48
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

They are beautiful Marianne. What a gorgeous card. Thanks, also, for the tip on the pigment ink. I thought about that later, but I had so many pads out on my desk I wasn't sure which I ended up using.

Judy
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Here are a few more. After all these years since CS did it in kit, I finally figured out how to spray water across the stamp and print it without it turning into a puddle of ink. I made several of these with the tree and, Cheryl, I finally did the easel card!
P1140067.JPG
P1140067.JPG (153.22 KiB) Viewed 406 times
This one was from another class with watercolors. And instead of doing the ink splotches where the flowers are like they said in the class, I used the spritzer thing from Tim with some juicy markers on the wet watercolor paper. It worked out well and you could get the color where you wanted it.
P1140070.JPG
P1140070.JPG (121.86 KiB) Viewed 406 times
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

My mouth is hanging open. Great cards from all. Now I am REALLY sorry I missed this class. I'll try to catch it on sale.

Marianne, love that idea of spritzing markers onto wet water color paper. Gonna try it.
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

beautiful cards ladies
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois