Announcement - change in registration

Notes to and from the paowers that be
jfugina

Announcement - change in registration

Post by jfugina »

Hey everyone. Remember back when the forum got upgraded about a month or so ago, and I scrambled to get our functions/customizations back? Well, I just realized that I never put back the customization on the registration that requested the new user to send an e-mail to request activation. This was done to verify that the person registering really wanted to be here, and wasn't just a spammer.

Well, I just went back and looked at the logs, and it doesn't look like there has been a single spam registration attempt since that upgrade happened. We got about 30-40 new registrations per day before that day.

So, rather than put the customization back in, I changed the registration setting to e-mail verification. What that means is that the user who registers will get an activation link back in their e-mail, and as soon as they click the activation link, they'll be able to sign in.

I'm hoping this doesn't cause any trouble - but I'd like to put the moderators on alert for any suspicious behavior by anyone who is new as of today. If we start getting spam posts, feel free to block and let me know, and I'll put registration back at admin approval. I'm hoping this works and that the upgrade truly helped with the spam registrations. That would make our forum a lot more friendly to join. :-)
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO