Problem/Virus Warning in ribbon fairy swap threads

Notes to and from the paowers that be
rinda

Problem/Virus Warning in ribbon fairy swap threads

Post by rinda »

Hi Admin,
Several times during the last few weeks, I have gotten a big red screen that says something like "Virus Warning. These files could infect your computer" when visiting the ribbon fairy swap thread. I immediately close my browser, and nothing bad has happened to my computer as a result. It doesn't happen every single time I try to visit that thread, but it happens a lot. Maybe 25% of the time I open the thread. It has never happened with any other PAO thread.
Any idea what is up with that?
Thanks,
Rinda
bethrich

Re: Problem/Virus Warning in ribbon fairy swap threads

Post by bethrich »

Rinda, I'm not admin, but ... I got a little weirdness when I visited that swap just now. A window went up in the background, then went away when I tried to see it. I started a scan on my PC to see if it picked something up.

Meanwhile, what browser and anti-virus do you use? I am using Firefox and Zone Alarm.
Paula

Post by Paula »

No problem here----IE and Norton
Yoli

Post by Yoli »

I have seen that problem . . . thank God! I hope you can get the problem resolved quickly.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Just to make sure it's not because I'm on Mac at home, I just went through all pages on both threads and didn't have any problems. No pop-ups, no warnings, nothing. I'm at work and running IE 8.0.6, Avira Antivirus, and Windows XP Professional. As extra safeguards I have Windows Malacious Software Removal Tool and Super Antispyware running in the background.

Check to make sure you have all of your service packs and security downloads installed - maybe that's a problem?
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I've actually seen something similar before, but not necessarily on that thread. What I've seen in certain threads is that something in the message is linked to jacdigital.com and that that particular site had something suspicious. I think that Jac used to do a bunch of the CS blinkies, and if anyone is still using a blinkie that's pulled from jacdigital, that might be what it's complaining about.

I don't have an answer - just an additional anecdote.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
rinda

Post by rinda »

Interesting Julie! I'm not too worried about my antivirus protection. My local tech guy checks my computer pretty often, and there's no problem with it. I just thought I should let our PAO'rs that be know about the issue.
Rinda
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

My anti-spyware also complains about tinyurl just on general principle. That actually makes a lot of sense because anybody can hide anything with tinyurl. My scan did come out clean.
Holly

Post by Holly »

I've not had any problem there: I use AVG and update daily.