Loading and Using Styles

LadyJaine

Loading and Using Styles

Post by LadyJaine »

Styles, sometimes known as Layer Styles are ways to snazz up an object on a layer. A drop shadow is actually a type of layer style. I can add a texture as a layer style or I can add a color overlay as a layer style. I can paint the edges, I can add a glow. I can do all sorts of things.

To make all of this even more complicated, I can combine several different layer styles and do it all at once. For instance, I can take a plain circular shape and then add a bevel to the edge, emboss it, give it a shiny finish and add a drop shadow. The result would be a piece of flair that looks like a pin, or button.
A piece of flair.
A piece of flair.
Arethahouse_copy.png (21.44 KiB) Viewed 377 times

When I get a kit that includes styles, I have to go through a multi-step process to use them in Photoshop. Styles are saved into files with the .asl extension. Even with Photoshop installed, double clicking on an .asl file will get Windows to ask what application I want to use to open the file. I could select Photoshop, but I'd rather install it properly.

Step one, I put the .asl file into the correct location on the hard drive, so Photoshop can find it. That location changes, depending on what version of Photoshop you have. Mine are in C:\Documents and Settings\My username\Application Data\Adobe\PhotoshopCS3\Presets\Styles. Photoshop will look in that place for new styles. If I've got .asl files in other locations on my computer, I can load and use them, but it's too much work for me to bother with.

Step two. Start up Photoshop and load the styles for use. Photoshop will only check the location as part of opening up. I won't see recently added files unless I close Photoshop and then open it again. I go to the Styles palette and click on the down pointing arrow. A list will appear with the names of the .asl files that Photoshop knows about. If I click on one of those names, Photoshop will then ask me if I want to replace my current styles or append to them. I usually want to append.

The new styles will show up at the end of the list of my styles, visible in the styles palette. If I hover my mouse over one of the boxes with an image in it, a name will show up as a tooltip. This is useful when I see there are six gray squares with sort of shadows and three pink squares that might or might not have glitter or acrylic or both.

How do I actually USE a style? First I select something. I can select an object by selecting the layer that the object is on by clicking in the layers palette. Then I click on the style I want to apply in the style palette. Or, I can select using the magic wand, by drawing with the marquee tools or whatever I need to use to get my selection. Once I have my marching ants showing the selection, I just make sure I have the desired layer active and click on the style in the style palette.

But wait! There's more!

I can edit the style I just applied. All I have to do is double click on the words describing the style in the layers palette. If I added a beveled edge and I don't think it's a sharp enough bevel, I can change that. If I added a drop shadow and I don't think it has the right size and spread, I can change that. These changes are not saved. The next time I apply that style, it will not have the changes.

How do I unload styles that I have loaded? There is nothing that says 'Unload Styles' anywhere! There are several ways. I can click on the down arrow in the Styles palette and select reset styles, and go back to the default, built-in styles. Or, I can overwrite a new set of styles instead of append when I load the next set. All old styles are removed and only the freshly loaded set is available for use. I can also use the Preset Manager and delete some. I am not really deleting them. The .asl file is still going to be right where I put it and it won't be changed. I am deleting the style from the list in Photoshop, until I load that set of styles again. If I load a set of 18 styles, and delete 9 of them using the Preset Manager, I can still use the 9 styles that I left alone. When I am tired of using those 9, I can delete them, overwrite, or reset them. When I want to use them again, I just load the set again. All 18 will be there for me to use.

I change the names of the .asl files before I put them in the right place on my hard drive. What is going to show up on that list in Photoshop is the file name. I'm not going to remember that PMG_TBD_GL1 goes with anything other than a headache. Kitname Glitter tells me something I can use. So I change files names from the cryptic to the descriptive.
Paula

Re: Loading and Using Styles

Post by Paula »

OMG I feel like I am from a third word country. :lol: :lol: I know nothing of what you are saying, and am so embarrassed :oops: I feel like I should. :anyone:
djenns

Post by djenns »

Don't feel bad Paula.........I've got books on Elements, cd's on elements and I'm totally lost when it come to doing digital anything. (other than editing photos)
LadyJaine

Post by LadyJaine »

Paula wrote:OMG I feel like I am from a third world country. :lol: :lol: I know nothing of what you are saying, and am so embarrassed :oops: I feel like I should. :anyone:
I'm just trying to explain some of the things about styles that freaked me out at first. I spent a lot of time trying to find out how to Unload a style. Having someone simply say that Unload doesn't exist, but these other things will get rid of styles when the list gets really long, would have helped a lot. I was afraid to delete or overwrite styles, because I thought it was a permanent delete. It isn't.

I've got this 1,164 page Photoshop reference that supposedly covers 'everything.' All it does is frustrate me. It doesn't tell me how things actually work in the real world.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Whew :oops: You were once where I am? Thanks for making me feel normal :lol: and it is great that you are sharing your knowledge to help us newbies out! I think that is why I am so hesitant to start digi.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Jean - You need to be shot for doing that to House. :-o
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Holly

Post by Holly »

Thanks again Jean.. for all your work, and for helping us unravel these "mysteries". I'm bookmarking this thread as well as others you have done like this. When I need the help, I can easily find them again.
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

There is a place for reference material. I asked Luanne for it and then never used it. What would y'all think of moving all Jean's wonderful digi tips to the reference section?
LadyJaine

Post by LadyJaine »

I'm fine with that!
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

Paula wrote:OMG I feel like I am from a third word country. :lol: :lol: I know nothing of what you are saying, and am so embarrassed :oops: I feel like I should. :anyone:
Have a drink---it'll start to make sense then :lol: :lol: :lol:

all kidding aside I am in awe of anyone who can do this. I get in front of my computer with the instructions printed out and still am lost as lost can be. It's like a whole other language.
LadyJaine

Post by LadyJaine »

It is a whole different language! You aren't wrong. What you need is someone who is willing to write instructions that you can follow in your native tongue.

Tip #1. Start by learning to use one tool at a time. Only one. Really. That's all. You aren't trying to create a Mona Lisa, you just want to learn how to select a 4 x 6 rectangle, so you can crop a photo. It took me several days of working with Photoshop to figure out how to select a specific sized rectangle.

Tip #2. Get teaching materials that teach in the way that you think and learn. Go to a bookstore and read through several references from different publishers and authors. If you are drawn to one because you can understand what the author is trying to tell you, then that's the one you should get. Find video instruction that you can watch and listen to. Go on-line and look at tutorials. Something will click.

Tip #3. Ask for help from someone like you. A geek can teach another geek, because they both speak geek. Non geeks often can't learn from a geek because they have no common language. I'm a bilingual geek. Sometimes I lapse into geek, but I try not to.
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

One of the things that helped me was finding tutorials on You Tube. I do agree with Jean, start slow!
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

bethrich wrote:One of the things that helped me was finding tutorials on You Tube. I do agree with Jean, start slow!

maybe that's my problem...
you have met me Beth, I never do anything slow ;)