One more technique I've been using...

New tricks to amaze your friends
Ruth Ann Landry

One more technique I've been using...

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

as much as I love Tim's products, I have NEVER been successful using his crackle paint...and I have several jars....so I make my own! Here is an ATC using red studio acrylics as an undercoat and light brown as the crackle coat....
Attachments
crackle atc 001.JPG
crackle atc 001.JPG (41.39 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Paula

Re: One more technique I've been using...

Post by Paula »

Totally rocks :clap: :clap: I thought the crackle paint was just me---I can't get it to work for me either. How do you make your own?

Paula
Ruth Ann Landry

ancient Chinese secret!!! LOL No, it's so simple it's sad.....lay down a coat of acrylic (your undercoat), dry, slather on a fairly good coating of your bookbinders glue and while it's still wet, paint over it with your crackle topcoat color...I use heat gun (held quite far away so as not to bubble my paint) and dry (cuz I'm impatient) and as the glue dries, it pulls the paint apart.....that's it!

crackle topcoat color====another layer of acrylic paint..not special crackle paint...
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

I have never had luck with the TH ones either.

Usually use this or crackle medium (seem to have better results with the glue though)
Paula

Post by Paula »

Thanks for the info! Something else fun for my to do list :lol:

Paula
Ruth Ann Landry

I spend a good deal of time trying different things as I have a HUGE project in mind and want to have lots of fast, easy, cool techniques up my sleeve to keep it interesting......
Paula

Post by Paula »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????????????????
Whatever are you talking about???????????????

Will we see this in the near future?

Paula
Ruth Ann Landry

I'm sure you will, but it's a rather lengthy process and I don't plan on being done until sometime in April, maybe.....have one thing in particular I really hope to learn from Claudine Hellmuth's class to pull it all together.......
southernpeach35

Post by southernpeach35 »

that's really cool! I am so glad you have been doing the experimenting because for those of who only have a small amount of time to squeeze in crafting, it makes it so much easier for us to enjoy when we already know how to have great results!!

so...THANKS!!!
Ruth Ann Landry

glad to share, bobbie
gwendols

Post by gwendols »

Another cool ATC Ruth Ann!!! Love that stamp!
Gwen Godfrey
#6 in the order of PAO
Holly

Post by Holly »

Since we are being honest about this Distress crackle paint thing, I agree, his paint sucks,I could not get it to work for me either. Thought it was just me. And I don't like the distress Stickles as much either. They have their limits too.
Holly

Post by Holly »

Now this post is about your terrific work Ruth Ann. You are a real inspiration to us, and thank you so much for sharing your techniques.
fuzzylover

Post by fuzzylover »

Oh No! I just bought a bottle of the Crackle paint because I love the look - haven't tried it yet................. we'll see! Good thing it wasn't expensive.
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

fuzzylover wrote:Oh No! I just bought a bottle of the Crackle paint because I love the look - haven't tried it yet................. we'll see! Good thing it wasn't expensive.
:hijack: (sorry)
problem was a huge batch were more or less bad-too much air got in and would dry the paints out. you could add water to thin but then if you added to much water they wouldn't crackle. turned into a major pia. I know they said you could call or write and send in for a refund or something but I wound up just chucking most of them I want things to work right away not once I piddle around with them for a while. I do however believe they have fixed the problem and if it is a recent purchase you shouldn't have any trouble.