So, that was strange...

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
Laurie

Re: So, that was strange...

Post by Laurie »

Glad she is okay. My youngest son Chris. His elbow did that for a long time.
Laurie Bennett #118 on POA
North Carolina
Hasmom99

Post by Hasmom99 »

Julie,
This reminded me of something that happened to my DD Hannah when she was 2 1/2. It was about 6 weeks after my DD Stephanie was born and the middle of winter. Hannah was sitting on the floor and my DH went to help her up so she could get ready for bed. Well, to be "funny" Hannah pulled back when DH went to help her. She screamed in pain and started crying about her elbow. Of course this is on a Sunday night. We call the doctor. My DH is so NOT into medical stuff. Anyway, the doctor walked him through re-angling Hannah's elbow. He did what the doctor said and Hannah is still crying. So, the doctor said to take her to the ER. Well, we get a neighbor to stay with my newborn and start driving the 15 minutes to the hospital with Hannah (got her boots on, etc.). Interestingly, the entire way there, Hannah is NOT crying, but looking out the window (we are out after her bedtime on a Sunday night) and chatting. We get to the ER and while we are waiting, Hannah is truly enjoying herself. The doctor comes out to get us and Hannah is (I kid you not ) swinging between two chairs! And singing, happy as can be. The doctor took one look at her and said he didn't really need to check her, she was fine, but since we came all that way . . .

What we did learn from him is that this is called Nursemaid's elbow. It tends to happen to toddlers and young kids from being swung by the arms. Apparently, what the doctor had DH do when he was on the phone did work to fix it, but because Hannah was crying, no one realized right away. Yes, we felt pretty silly when that ER doctor found Hannah using both arms to swing between the waiting room chairs. LOL.

Julie, since you have two little ones, you should probably watch out for this - both knees and elbows. We learned never to swing our kids by the arms. Anyway, thanks for the memory. I'm glad your DD is okay.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Thanks Lynn. I've now heard from lots of people now with similar stories. That's just so odd - how something can pop out and just pop right back in like nothing ever happened. And yeah, by the time the doctor got around to seeing Nicole, there was nothing he did. Once he saw Nicole walk they were basically done.

That didn't stop the day care director from being completely freaked out every time Nicole went to get on the floor today. LOL.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Hasmom99

Post by Hasmom99 »

Yeah Julie. As you can tell from my post, DH and I were pretty sheepish by the time the doctor came out to check on Hannah . . .
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Hopefully you have great insurance and won't have to pay out of pocket for the emergency visit!
I'm glad everything is good. Scary.
Cathy:)
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

Hasmom99 wrote:Julie,
This reminded me of something that happened to my DD Hannah when she was 2 1/2. It was about 6 weeks after my DD Stephanie was born and the middle of winter. Hannah was sitting on the floor and my DH went to help her up so she could get ready for bed. Well, to be "funny" Hannah pulled back when DH went to help her. She screamed in pain and started crying about her elbow. Of course this is on a Sunday night. We call the doctor. My DH is so NOT into medical stuff. Anyway, the doctor walked him through re-angling Hannah's elbow. He did what the doctor said and Hannah is still crying. So, the doctor said to take her to the ER. Well, we get a neighbor to stay with my newborn and start driving the 15 minutes to the hospital with Hannah (got her boots on, etc.). Interestingly, the entire way there, Hannah is NOT crying, but looking out the window (we are out after her bedtime on a Sunday night) and chatting. We get to the ER and while we are waiting, Hannah is truly enjoying herself. The doctor comes out to get us and Hannah is (I kid you not ) swinging between two chairs! And singing, happy as can be. The doctor took one look at her and said he didn't really need to check her, she was fine, but since we came all that way . . .

What we did learn from him is that this is called Nursemaid's elbow. It tends to happen to toddlers and young kids from being swung by the arms. Apparently, what the doctor had DH do when he was on the phone did work to fix it, but because Hannah was crying, no one realized right away. Yes, we felt pretty silly when that ER doctor found Hannah using both arms to swing between the waiting room chairs. LOL.

Julie, since you have two little ones, you should probably watch out for this - both knees and elbows. We learned never to swing our kids by the arms. Anyway, thanks for the memory. I'm glad your DD is okay.
After taking Chris to the Emergency Room a few times, the doctor finally showed us how to put it back in. We did this until he was about 6. His elbow would come out sometimes even rolling on the floor.
Laurie Bennett #118 on POA
North Carolina