And we think we've got problems!

Something else on your mind? Keep it clean, keep it nice
flojo

Re: And we think we've got problems!

Post by flojo »

She might as well go ahead and file bankruptcy now. Eight kids in college at the same time, yikes! When Oprah sees this she will probably step in and do something to help them.
Ruth Ann Landry

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

Yes, Cathy we did...we had to bring them home and go through burial...(as If I wouldn't want to anyway), but it is an expense you never expect! My dad was a doctor and had formula and diaper companies offer their products for the babies for however long we would have needed them....they were identical triplet boys and a girl..and NO fertility drugs and no multiple births in my family (DH, yes, lots, but not mine) I already had two kids at home and didn't plan on this pregnancy.
dehlers43

Post by dehlers43 »

I was pretty surpised to find this is all happening in the town I grew up in - Bellflower.....just another suburb of a suburb of a suburb....
Also, the birth was at Kaiser which is an HMO so that should help with expenses....at least a little.....
Ruth Ann - I'm so sorry you had to go through the pain of losing your babies....I can't even imagine.... :happy94:
nancine

Post by nancine »

flojo wrote:She might as well go ahead and file bankruptcy now. Eight kids in college at the same time, yikes! When Oprah sees this she will probably step in and do something to help them.
Or they will get their own TV show like Jon & Kate :lol:
ErinW-N

Post by ErinW-N »

I keep telling dh WE are outnumbered with 3 kids, I can't imagine 8 at once.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Sigh. I can't even imagine. I wish the babies all well - none of this is their fault. But I don't have a very high respect for the parents or the doctors who allowed all this to happen (the article didn't say that fertility drugs were involved, but I don't buy for a minute that they weren't). These kids, if they survive, are likely to face all kinds of challenges. Even if they're all perfectly healthy, they will probably still live with the family having constant financial challenges, and the more babies there are, the less time each will get with mom and dad. I know that multiples happen all the time, and that the parents absolutely do the best they can. But I don't think this was natural. And it's these babies that will suffer the consequences.

I don't mean to offend anyone - so many apologies if I do - but I'm a scientist at heart. I don't actually believe in any kind of fertility treatment - it's a natural selection kind of thing. I think parents who can't conceive weren't meant to. And I'm very very very sorry when that happens. I know that it devastates good people who would make excellent parents. But I wish so much that more parents who find themselves in this situation would consider adoption over fertility treatments. There are so many good babies/kids out there who are looking for a loving home. Yet people continue to take the dangerous risks that come with these treatments. I just don't get it.

I think our family is the perfect size right now. I do sometimes wonder if we should have more eventually. But it's never EVER crossed my mind that any more should come from me. It's a question of which country.

Ruth Ann - I'm so very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine a pain like that ever going away. You are a very strong woman.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Multiples run in my family, but only through the males. I know - the geneticists say that's impossible, but that's the way it works and I have the family charts to prove it.

I think the article said that the last family to have 8 lost one and the other 7 are doing well and are now in grammar school. I can't imagine raising that many babies - children yes, babies no. Especially teeny tiny ones that will have so many needs. My heart goes out to this family and I wish them well. But I do agree with Julie about fertility drugs and adoption. There are so many children waiting for adoption - unfortunately the majority are older children because everyone wants babies. Me - I like them already house broken and would have no qualms about an older child if I wanted more. ;)

Pam
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I'm with you Pam. Babies are cute, and I loved mine dearly, but if I went overseas to find my next child, I'm thinking I'd start looking for around 18m or so - "housebroken" would be nice, but I love love love the early toddler years. The newborn stuff - I don't think I'd be too sad about missing that. :tomato: (sorry.. I really hated being pregnant too)

As an aside - someone I work with is a single mom of two adopted children. I guess she wanted to be a mom and didn't feel like searching for the perfect dad, so she saved up until she could adopt from China. She brought her daughter home as an infant. She's a beautiful little girl who's about 7 now. But she started immediately saving up again for another adoption. This time, she went to India. About 2 years ago she adopted a 10 year old boy. So her little girl had an instant big brother. Language was an issue initially, but she got tutors for him, and they are a very happy beautiful family. She inspires me.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Lynn K

Post by Lynn K »

I can't imagine having 1 much less 8!!! UGHHHHH I can't believe the mom thinks she can breast feed. I know as a Mom I would want to, but what are you going to pick and choose who gets to eat that day? I can see pumping and mixing it in with a supplement so everyone got a little, but totally? I hope they are really prepared mentally to be parents. that is a lot of hard work with 1, much less 8 with special needs. Many prayers going out to the whole family and that everyone grows up HEALTHY!
Maree

Post by Maree »

:shock: :wtf:
scrappin nurse

Post by scrappin nurse »

Wow! I couldn't imagine having 8 babies at one time. I wish them well.