ATG refills?

Save some $ Find out what works
jfugina

ATG refills?

Post by jfugina »

I checked this board to see if there were any recent discussions on this matter and didn't see anything. I am finally on my last roll of 1/2" ATG gold tape from Framing Supply. And I've been picking up two-packs of 1/4" Gold tape at Michaels when I think of it, but I'm down to my last role of that as well. I went looking for more, and HOLY CRAP! The Gold refills are either difficult to find, or are EXPENSIVE! I mean, at $12/roll for the 1/2", it's still a better deal than those small disposable adhesive rollers, but I was not the prices I was seeing.

I guess it is what it is though. I NEED my ATG tape. So don't mind me. I'm about to go drop $200 on tape. But if history is any indication, a case of each size should last me a good 3-4 years. So I guess I shouldn't really complain about an average of $50/year on adhesive.

Unless... anyone knows of a better source? The best I could find was $121/case for 1/2" and $68/case for 1/4". And that was with free shipping.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
jmp1022

Re: ATG refills?

Post by jmp1022 »

I buy the tape from amazon.

But it isn't the gold.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

So Jill - have you noticed any issues with discoloration with photos or papers or anything, if you're not using the acid-free tape? I've noticed that the "all purpose" refills are all that my local Michaels has these days, and in the scrapbook section. So I had wondered if the all purpose adhesive was really just as safe as the gold. If it is, then I'll gladly stock up on the all purpose stuff.
Julie Fugina
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I buy mine from tapejungle.com.
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

pamcook wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:00 pm I buy mine from tapejungle.com.
Thank you! So, just went there and they don't have the actual 3M/Scotch brand, so are you buying the other acid free brand with the yellow leader? Are you just as happy with that tape as the original Scotch brand? The tape rolls here are SO much more reasonable - especially in bulk.
Julie Fugina
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Yes the rolls with the yellow. I’ve not had any problem. Sometimes a roll will want to come off the wrong side. I just break the adhesive and it starts to unroll properly. That can’t make any sense to anyone who hasn’t experienced it! I don’t know if that happens for any particular reason - could very well be user error!
Anyway, overall - I’m very happy with their product.
Pam Cook #48
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

This is a very timely thread as I just loaded my last roll. I usually order mine from Amazon, but they are out and don't know if/when they will get them. So I poked around and found a box of 12 refills (gold) for $72.99 ($6.08 ea) from an office supply company in Niles, IL called Nordisco. They have good ratings and free shipping over $50.

I'm going to order a box and will let you all know how it goes.
Sue in NC (formerly known as Sue in Colorado)
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

I haven't noticed any discoloration yet.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Thanks everyone! I ultimately ordered the non-Scotch brand that says it is acid-free/archival from Amazon with Prime. So we'll see how that goes.

Pam - I know EXACTLY what you mean about the tape getting kind of jacked up the way you describe. I always wondered if I maybe got a bad batch of tape because I swear that didn't happen when I first got my ATGs. But the last box of tape I got of each size was behaving different. I don't know if my rollers are starting to malfunction or if it's the tape, but about 1/2 way through the roll, I have to take off the used portion and re-thread. I can't get to the end of a roll before the tension gets so high that the tape snaps. Between that and the adhesive sticking to the wrong side, I have definitely had some frustration. But in the end, nothing like having to go through three entire disposable tape rolls in an afternoon.
Julie Fugina
gwendols

Post by gwendols »

I didn't know that Framingsupplies.com was gone. :( I think I'm good for a bit, but following this thread to see where to look when I need to.

I miss the "footballs" they used to ship when they just wrapped the boxes in cellophane and sent them on their way. LOL
Gwen Godfrey
#6 in the order of PAO