Sizzix / Cricut

Save some $ Find out what works
Laurie

Sizzix / Cricut

Post by Laurie »

Hello Ladies
I had one of the first cricuts with cartridges and then I purchased a bigger one about 5 years ago. I gave Jenni my Sizzix when I got the first Cricut. Now I’m looking at Tim Holtz’s Vagabond Sizzix. Is it worth it to go back with the Sizzix?
Laurie Bennett #118 on POA
North Carolina
Monica

Re: Sizzix / Cricut

Post by Monica »

Well, you're talking two different machines here. The Vagabond cuts Steel rule and thin dies like a manual machine would, and the Cricut is an electronic cutter that uses cartridges or digital cut files. I replaced my Cricut V.1 with a Silhouette Cameo a couple years back, and I have a Sizzix Big Shot for all my steel rule and thin dies. Both get use when I'm crafting. I believe Pam has a Vagabond if you're wanting to talk about an electric die cutting machine.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I used to have a vagabond (over priced and cuts very few pieces before the motors seize).
I feel most of us can justify having a manual die cutter and a Sihouette or Cricut (basically the same as a Silhouette now - not really, but the same idea).
I would not recommend the Vagabond.
Pam Cook #48
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

Thanks Pam.
North Carolina
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

I have the silhouette ( hardly used) and the Big shot ( I use it most.}
I don't have room to keep silhouette set up all the time so I grab the Big Shot.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
Debbie AZ

Post by Debbie AZ »

I’ve had 2 vagabonds and both seized and their customer service is awful. I’ll never buy another one of those things.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I've had my Vagabond for 10 years and it gets a lot of use. I love it and have had zero issues with it - knock wood. I primarily cut thin dies with it - don't know if that makes a difference with the performance or not. The biggest reason is that I'm not enamored with the thick dies that I have. When I purchase now I tend to buy thin ones because of storage considerations.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
BekiWard@msn.com

Post by BekiWard@msn.com »

Hi, Laurie! It’s so good to “see” you! :happy94:

I have a Cricut that I use for a lot of things. I also purchased a Spellbinders Platinum 6, after wearing out a Big Kick. I made the switch after watching one of Jennifer McGuire’s comparison videos…as well as countless Karen Burniston videos in which she uses a SP6. I will say, for what it’s worth, the very first time I cranked anything through it, I felt the difference. I also appreciate that on the rare occasion it’s closed, the “footprint” is much smaller than the Big Kick. Being a gadget freak, I used to be tempted to get a Vagabond; after seeing it used at various get togethers, I knew it really wasn’t for me; since then, I’ve found the same to be true of the Gemini & Anna Griffin electric cutters, as well,

I agree with all the above who said, two different machines as well as justifying both. If you believe you’ll be using both, own both.
Beki Ward
Clarksville VA
BekiWard@gmail.com
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

Thanks Beki!
North Carolina