One of those projects

Save some $ Find out what works
pamcook

One of those projects

Post by pamcook »

I was running out of room in my ink drawer and look how storing them on the side saves room. Every time I wanted a particular color, I would have to search through stacks. Shimelle wrote the names in the labels (she stores her in a similar way) and I started to before it occurred to me that the name is irrelevant. So I stopped after two or three. It’s also interesting to me to see quickly what colors I have in excess and that I really don’t need any more! BTW, these are Distress Inks in case that’s not obvious. I don’t own enough of any other brand to see the need to label them as well.
1F4FEFB0-E758-4F44-A137-6E1135B54BFF.jpeg
1F4FEFB0-E758-4F44-A137-6E1135B54BFF.jpeg (96.81 KiB) Viewed 275 times
My finger tips have been many colors this month.
Pam Cook #48
mpizzazz

Re: One of those projects

Post by mpizzazz »

They look easy to see to grab the right color and it looks so pretty!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

That looks awesome! At some point a million years ago, I was taught to store the inks upside down, so that the top of the pad didn't dry out. Seemed logical enough to me! But yes, it means I have to literally pull out the entire drawer and turn everything right side up so that I can see what color it's supposed to be. Labeling them on the bottom might be a decent compromise though. I especially love labeling them with the actual color they are. So smart.

I'm curious if there's really anything to that whole upside down thing though. Because storing them on their sides with labels does seem so much more efficient.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

jfugina wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:14 pm
I'm curious if there's really anything to that whole upside down thing though. Because storing them on their sides with labels does seem so much more efficient.
I stored mine upside down for many years, too, but that was before Distress Inks came along. Found this on Splitcoast Stampers from Ranger:

Thank you for your email and interest in Ranger products.

Distress Oxide Ink Pads should be stored flat. Since the formula contains pigment, storing the pads on the sides may result in drawing the ink to the edge of the pad.

Original Distress Ink Pads can be stored flat or on the sides. If storing these pads on the side, just be sure there is no space for the lid to open.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

That's interesting Marianne. Thanks for that information from Ranger. I wouldn't have thought there would be much difference between pigment and dye ink and how they redistribute, and honestly, I would have thought that a die pad would be more susceptible to gravity than something pigment based, but what do I know. :lol: And that's a good point about making sure the lids aren't cracked open when stored on the side. That was one of things I really don't like about all of my ranger inks - I'd really prefer an container where the lid stayed on when the pad was held sideways or upside down. It's almost like it's designed to dry out faster. Literally all of my other inks have lids that secure to the base in some small way.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Monica

Post by Monica »

Your drawer is lovely, Pam. For me, I'll stick with cassette holders and the hanging caddies I've used for years. Those work best for me and keep everything visible.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Monica wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:18 pm Your drawer is lovely, Pam. For me, I'll stick with cassette holders and the hanging caddies I've used for years. Those work best for me and keep everything visible.
I’m jealous of people who have desk space! I so rarely use inks (ironic that I have SO MANY!) that I can’t justify using the small amount of desk space I do have. I don’t love storing them in their sides but many people do and so far, so good.
So your Distress inks fit in cassette holders?
Pam Cook #48
Monica

Post by Monica »

I haven't tried them in the cassette holders, I use the other hanging caddies for them. When I first found those 20+ years ago they were in the hardware department and had drawers that tipped out but were also removable. Aside from the two on the bottom the drawers have been gone for years, but they make perfect storage for my Distress inks.
Attachments
20211021_182952.jpg
20211021_182952.jpg (120.24 KiB) Viewed 227 times
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Call me crazy, but I want to store my Oxide inks and regular Distress inks the same way, so on their side doesn't work for me :roll:
Monica, that's a brilliant solution for your Distress inks on the wall; I think at one point I had a cassette caddy so knew they didn't fit in one of those. Which is a moot point for me as I don't have wall space for them, but I've never seen anyone use those particular hardware units for them. I keep mine stacked on a Kvissle shelf on my Ikea bookcase; not perfect, but it works for me. I do have them all labeled by name as I have a pretty good grasp of what's what - even though some of the names give you no clue as to the actual colour - and have the name label wrapped around a corner of the inkpad so I've a 50/50 chance of having it right side out, instead of only 25%.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Going to come up with something for the Oxides - although I’m not sure I believe Ranger’s hype about not storing them on their sides. After all, they said they’d never offer refills for them… It’s always something…
Pam Cook #48